Review Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 Review: More Efficient, Still Expensive

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
People flocked to the 4090 as it's a monster but it would be entirely stupid to grab this card while the high end 3000s series exist along with the 4090.

A 3080 and up will run everything at 2K...and with high refresh rates with DLSS.

Go big or go home and let this GPU sit! Force Nvidia's hand to lower prices.

You can't have 2 halo products when there's no demand and the previous gen still exist.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
they'll cry foul, grumble about the price and even blame retailers for the high price. but only while sitting in line to buy one.......

man how i wish folks could just get a grip on themselves and let these just sit on shelves for a couple months while Nvidia gets a much needed reality check. but alas they'll sell out in minutes just like always sigh

gburke

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
I am one who likes to have the best to push games to the limit. And I'm usually pretty good about staying on top of current hardware. I can definitely afford it. I "clamored" to get a 3080 at launch and was lucky enough to get one at market value beating out the dreadful scalpers. But makes no sense this time to upgrade over lest gen just for gaming. So I am sitting this one out. I would be curious to know how many others out there like me who doesn't see the real benefit to this new generation hardware for gaming. Honestly, 60fps at 4K on almost all my games is great for me. Not really interested in going above that.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Seeing how much wattage these GPU use in a loop is interesting, but it still tells me nothing regarding real-life cost.

Cloud gaming suddenly looks more attractive when I realize I won't need to pay to run a GPU at 300 watt.

The running cost of GPU should now be part of reviews imo.

Considering how much people in Europe, Japan, and South East Asia are now paying for electricity and how much these new GPU consume.

Household appliances with similar power usage, usually have their running cost discussed in reviews.

BaRoMeTrIc

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
they'll cry foul, grumble about the price and even blame retailers for the high price. but only while sitting in line to buy one.......

man how i wish folks could just get a grip on themselves and let these just sit on shelves for a couple months while Nvidia gets a much needed reality check. but alas they'll sell out in minutes just like always sigh
High end RTX cards have become status symbols amongst gamers.

Reactions: artk2219
I’d like to see a performance per £/€/$ comparison between generations. Normally you would expect this to improve from one generation to the next but I am not seeing it. I bought my mid range 3080 at launch for £754. Seeing these are going to cost £1100-£1200 the performance per £/€/$ seems about flat on last generation. Yeah great, I can get 40-60% more performance for 50% more cost. Fairly disappointing for a new generation card. Look back at how the 3070 & 3080 smashed the performance per £/€/$ compared to a 2080Ti.

mmmmMehhhhh . . . .
Vegas GPU compute on line one . . .

My CAD does OpenGL, too
I didn't say Nvidia was always faster for professional use cases, but the professional market is like 90–95 percent Nvidia from what I understand. AMD is doing better at getting into supercomputers, but its workstation aspirations have been floundering for years. I've personally known lots of engineers over the past 15 years as an example. I have literally never been to a business using professional workstations where they had AMD cards. Never. Dozens of companies with thousands of workstations, and they were all Nvidia shops. I'm sure there are places that do use AMD GPUs, but they're simply far less common in the real world.

You'll note that I point out AMD's gains in SPECviewper 2020 scores in the review. That's because of those new OpenGL drivers. But improving performance and gaining market share don't happen overnight. There's a lot of history and momentum that AMD needs to overcome.
Seeing how much wattage these GPU use in a loop is interesting, but it still tells me nothing regarding real-life cost. Cloud gaming suddenly looks more attractive when I realize I won't need to pay to run a GPU at 300 watt.

The running cost of GPU should now be part of reviews imo.

Considering how much people in Europe, Japan, and South East Asia are now paying for electricity and how much these new GPU consume.

Household appliances with similar power usage, usually have their running cost discussed in reviews.
Household appliances usually post numbers that are "optimized" to make them look better, but they're also far more predictable. "A refrigerator in a 70F house needs to run xxx hours per day to stay cool." Simple. "We assume you'll watch two hours of TV per day" on the other hand may or may not match your actual usage. For a PC, it's going to be all over the map, and I give the power figures precisely so you can decide how much it would actually cost you. I suppose I didn't explicitly list idle power, which you can sort of see on the far left of the power line charts.

Anyway, let's say a "normal" user runs their PC for 10 hours per day. Of that time, seven hours is more or less idle power — surfing the internet, watching YouTube, etc. Only three hours is high impact gaming. The idle power use of the 4080 is around 20W.

That means you get 7 * 20 = 140W, 3 * 300 = 900W. Basically 1kWh per day of power gets used by the RTX 4080. That's $0.09 per day where I live I think, but in CA or NY it might be triple that, and in parts of Europe it would be up to five times that much.

Even so, $0.50 per day is $15 per month or around $180 per year. If you can afford to go out and buy a $1,200 graphics card, you're probably not going to worry much about the $180 a year in added electricity costs. Or you can get a game streaming service like Stadia... oh, wait. Hmmm. Well, GeForce Now is an option, and you'll only need to pay $200 a year in subscription fees for access to an RTX 3080 in the cloud or whatever.

But if you play games ten hours per day, every day of the year? Yeah, electricity costs will be a lot higher. $0.27 per day for me, up to $1.50 per day for some regions of the world. "OMG YOU'RE SPENDING $550 A YEAR ON POWER FOR YOUR GAMING ADDICTION!" And some people go out and buy muscle cards that get 10 miles per gallon. ¯\(ツ)

cirdecus

Distinguished
I understand the issue with the price brackets of this years cards, but to say something like DLSS 3 is needed for performance is ridiculous. This card has stellar performance. Being pissed about the price shouldn't make the editor bias across the board like this.

If the 4080 needed the help of DLSS 3.0 to achieve adequate performance, that means every other card in the world is awful other than the 4090.

Toms has really gone downhill with their reviews.

In terms of price. How can these be priced any less with a massive amount of 30 series cards left on the market at dirt cheap prices? Those cards can't be pushed lower without destroying the market and putting resellers in a position to sell a card at a serious loss.

If you're a cost conscious buyer, why are you even buying a 40 series card to begin with? The 30 series cards are the value buy here. That's what the pricing is trying to tell you. The performance in modern games is stellar. Name one game that has been released that the 30 series can't dominate. You're talking multitudes faster than any modern console.

My suspicion is that the COVID supply chain issue caused the 30 series supply problem and this years launch has no place in the market other than the high end. Look at the pricing brackets for the 30 series. Everyone raved about them. That's what Nvidia would have liked to happen.

I you're looking for value, I would buy a 30 series. If you have a 30 series, skip this cycle and wait for the market to correct.

If you're like most gamers and just want the latest graphics cards, you're going to be paying a premium or rolling AMD (which is still a premium over normal pricing but more to stomach).

Lastly, Inflation is easily going to push these up 20%. So expect that the more inflation rises, especially with government money printing in the US.

JCFca1992

Honorable
Oct 11, 2016
Frustrating that it is so expensive.... but my frustration tends to be directed at whomever is spending close to $2k on the 4090.

I don't begrudge Nvidia trying to meet the market where it is at. Just hoping that AMD can drum up some real competition so the market turns into a real duopoly rather than a semi monopoly at the top end of graphics performance

Reactions: Bamda and artk2219

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
High end gaming, just like so many other things in the world, is becoming exclusive to those with more dollars than sense.
I used to scoff at console gamers but with the new practice of raping customers severely for new components I'll just stick to playing Xbox Series X games.

jtcmedia

Reputable
Jan 12, 2019
High end gaming, just like so many other things in the world, is becoming exclusive to those with more dollars than sense.
I used to scoff at console gamers but with the new practice of raping customers severely for new components I'll just stick to playing Xbox Series X games.
I think NVidia is smart. They know whose buying these. It's young professionals, in their 20s and 30s, who don't have a family yet and oodles of money to spend (and no sense of saving for retirement). So yes, more dollars than sense. They could still double the prices and I doubt it would affect their sales.

etaxdoa

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
In the 4k dx11 charts for flight simulator, 99th...
4090 65.4fps
4090 58.5fps

Yet in the DLS charts
4090 native 71.5fps
4080 native 51.9fps

Is the DLSS results run in Dx12?

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
First point: I would really like to see NVidia's labor/material/fab cost list, with the R&D investment factored in. Everyone complaining here seems to have access to it but I can't seem find it anywhere.

Second point: When people complain they can't afford a luxury item it seems to me like a sense of entitlement that they think should be able to get one. Especially when there are plenty of lower cost value cards out there. Luxury items are priced as such, not intended to sell at cost.

Third point: No, I'm not an NVidia fan boy -- still rocking my AMD Vega 64.

Giroro

Splendid
The RTX 408 isn't even built on the same die than the RTC 4090. Close to half the size/cores. and only a 256 bit wide memory bus, Yikes!
Are we sure the RTX 4080 16GB isn't just a rebranded RTX 4070? That makes me think the "RTX 4080 12GB" was probably designed to be a ~$400 RTX 4060 or 4060 Ti, at least until Jensen stepped in with his uncontrollable lust for unlimited profit and karaoke girls. The lack of shame in their greed makes my skin crawl.

I guess Nvidia is giving themselves headroom for multiple price increases when they launch their RTX 4080 Ti Super Duper Pro Plus (we really mean it this time Edition).

Reactions: Bamda and artk2219
Doesn't impress much, not at that price point. And not when there could be AMD GPUs in 2 months that can do the same (probably better - No RayTracing of course, which I couldn't care less), at a lower price, consuming less energy, probably giving better OC headroom for those interested in it, and not using the 16 pin power connector.

Hopefully only a couple more weeks till AMD reviews.

Giroro

Splendid
I think NVidia is smart. They know whose buying these. It's young professionals, in their 20s and 30s, who don't have a family yet and oodles of money to spend (and no sense of saving for retirement). So yes, more dollars than sense. They could still double the prices and I doubt it would affect their sales.

I don't believe that anyone is actually buying these. Celebrity influencers do not actually buy the products that they are paid to sell.