Nvidia: GPU Failures Not Affecting Our Orders

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thecaitiffchoir

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
I have a laptop with a 8600gt in it - dell originally replaced the card - which sadly was with the same card again. I got no extended warranty out of them and since the whole economic crisis i havent had a word out of dell - so seems my 'case' is stuck up in the air.

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
There are still planty G86 / G84 stock laptop in Indonesia. Let use this to educate people not to but it :). p.s. I have one too :(, Dell Latitude D630 with NVS 135M aka G86GL.

vladtepes

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Well, well, well, so I can expect Nvidia to pay US 350+ for the motherboard replacement for my friend's notebook. And I am talking about a Geforce Go 7600. Thanks God my own notebook discrete GPU is as reliable Ati Radeon

G

would there anyway to use some sort of OC tools to artificially make temps higher and fail faster within warranty and make them replace these en masse?

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I recommend a laptop to my brother a year and a half ago. He has a 7600 go chip that has heat issues. Now I feel guilty for suggesting he spend $800 on that notebook.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]kansur0[/nom]I just found a laptop with the GeForce 8600M GS at a local computer store that was "refurbished"...They replaced the motherboard....The customer should have the option to replace the part completely with a new part that is not defective...When I buy a product from a retail establishment that product should have a reasonable life expectancy of two to three years[/citation]
ok dude and dude? when you replace a defective part with a "completely" new part to fix a product does it not become refurbished then? you're acting like they replaced the motherboard with the exact same faulty one. do you know they did for a fact? or just because you suspect they did makes it so? and I thought most warranties on "new" things was 2 years so uh, what's the problem?

[citation][nom]kansur0[/nom]Now when I see an nVidia logo on a product I have to wonder if it is a brand new untested product that may fail and if it does chances are that I will be left holding the bag...[/citation]
this part of your statement is clearly biased. I have bought plenty of nVidia products and not had failures on them. and the failures I have seen on nVidia desktop cards were caused by faulty fans the manufacturer chose to put on the cards. if I had to choose between the two evils I would chose the evil I know anyways as the problems I have experienced, in the past I admit, from ati were just plain atrocious nightmares with drivers. I had to re-install a whole OS to fix a sound driver problem caused by installing one of their video cards. that is ridiculous and believe me a lot of people tried fixing that issue. I am sure there was something we missed but the fact that happened at all is proof ati is not infallible either.

btw, I think it's schmuck! =P even spell check here agrees.

heck I think the comments on this article is mainly filled with a bunch of buzzard nVidia haters looking and hoping to find a carcass ruffling yall's feathers up.

also the article if it is accurate clearly states that...
[citation][nom]article[/nom]Rather than recall faulty notebooks, manufacturers of laptops affected have gone through certain steps to help cover the problem.[/citation]...so it is NOT nVidia that made that particular decision.

and lastly, for those claiming they are "afraid" to use their laptops or game with them - 1) wth game can you play on an 8600? I am sure there is a few like WoW maybe, but that's hardly a "gaming" video card I think. and 2) wth wouldn't you push your system to a) get the most out of it and b) get it to fail "within" the actual warranty period so you can get it fixed! and do NOT say losing your data. the majority of the people on this web site should be capable of backing up data in some fashion and know better than to store everything on a primary OS drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.