Nvidia GPUs Speed Up Win 7 & Leopard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"Snow Leopard"???
Just more proof that Apple is the Fisher-Price of the computer industry.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]blarneypete[/nom]So will the GPU be relegated to things like Photoshop filters, or will it be able to help crunch other things - like encoding an H.264/AVC video?[/citation]
It already does both. A lot of Adobe CS4 programs are optimized for the NVIDIA GPUs (Video editing, video compositing, encoding, photo editing, etc). Nero MoveIt, Cyberlink PowerDirector, Elemental's Badaboom all use CUDA (and sometimes ATI Stream) for video effects/rendering. There are a ton more for other computing tasks too (take a look at NVIDIA's CUDA page). Folding@home for example.

[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]I wonder what the effect would be if we ran both Nvidia and ATI high end graphics cards in a system?Which card would we connect the monitor to?Would the system use both GPUs for processing?It'd be kind of interesting to see what the results would be. Too bad we couldn't connect the cards together as you can with Crossfire or SLI.[/citation]

CrosSLI?

seriously atleast with vista you need the same display drivers to run aero, and the main monitor (primary) is whichever you select (after the priority of the bios etc)

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
For crying out loud! Where's ATI's solution! What about all those laptops that have the HD 3200 and 3100, why can't ATI do something that would make those who already own one... Happy! All I know is when I buy a product and that product is DEAD within 4-6 months and has no more support.. I just don't buy from that company any more.

I have a GeForce 260 GTX and a GeForce 8 8800 GTS (Which I still actively use at home with Folding@Home), all I have to say is that I am very happy with the fact that when nVidia introduced hardware accelerated CUDA starting from th 8 series, I was very happy that I bought nVidia and not ATI (I own an HD 3870 too :/ and not a single word from ATI on supporting the 3xxx series with the new STREAM tech. ).

ATI just lost a costumer... sad.

wacky7

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]blarneypete[/nom]So will the GPU be relegated to things like Photoshop filters, or will it be able to help crunch other things - like encoding an H.264/AVC video?[/citation]

They sould have done this befor with tweeking
GPU speed at 1.5GHZ that runs like CPU speed it will blow it away
and the funny thing is that OS have a ways of tweaking speed up the processing of applications speed it what theya re trying to say. no wonder our kennel processing is too slow for alota things that CPU was going fast as they can't keep up the old kennel processing and GPU can't keep up that the kennel processing being slow that it holding our true speed of computing. might want to relook at how it made from our lacking slow OS.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
For the people being retarded and saying "Why doesn't ATi have a solution!" It's called Stream. And people should be developing for OpenCL not CUDA. Why are people so fond of this random proprietary crap? The only voice of reason was the guy who realized it's better to get everyone in one go, not develop for one thing and hope people use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.