Nvidia GPUs Used for Serious Business. Seriously.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]well, they just forced feed their CUDA down the throat of industry. AMD/ATI Stream has not been as aggressive. I wish they were. But we will see.[/citation]
You may want to read up on the maturity of Stream and CUDA. Maybe then you'll realize that this has very, very, very little to do with marketing.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Say what you want about NVIDIA, but at least they don't seem to spend nearly as much money as Apple on thumbs downing critique (making it disappear) & lame positive hype from boil room net spammers. I can't believe all this denial about hiring people to do this online tweaking of polls. It's tasteless manipulation of reality.

zilnicra

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Thats just silly... They just cover the cost of R&D for CAD drivers. And business is a marginal market at best.[/citation]

honestly im going to laugh at you and everyone who commented on something like this. for everyone who thinks that gamers drive the market, /facepalm. go into the real world and get a job. when you have a company that actually needs computing power, they'll have more nvidia gpu's than employees, cuz eveyone in development has 2 in their workstation, and 8 in their lab server.

While the majority reason that businesses pay $4000 for essentially the same card us consumers pay $400 for is because businesses have the NEED to have serious computational horsepower working ALL the time, EVERY time, and are willing to pay for it. honestly, i'll pay 10k for a graphics card you paid 400 for if its going to cost me 50k an HOUR system down time. gaming is not as demanding as computing CT images, rendering models etc, however gaming does it real time, and in most enterprise applications we have to take time, because it NEEDS to be 100% correct 1000/1000 times. if its not then we don't detect the brain tumor that will kill you. however, i want a ct image with adequate detection at 0.005" in real time... but i cant buy 100 gpus

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Still talking about GPUs? Wait until Intel and AMD fully integrates their GPUs into the CPUs, then that would drive NVidia out of business. :p

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
srs bizness. But really, I guess it's fine if they release these every ince in a while. They could start make business related cards exclusively and gaming ones can stick around.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I'm glad CUDA/PhysX are propriatary David needs tricks in his arsenal to prevent the Goliath Brothers Intel/AMD from intruding on it's space.

Why would Nvidia care about investing into something that's going to benefit themselves less? That's why while they support OpenCL they aren't going to really invest into it makes little sense for them to do so becaues it benifits the compeition more.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I been using ATI GPU for several years all from video and photo editing, my nvidia video card I only use it for playing games. wow I didn't know this one.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
It doesn't work that way. To make my point simple, why would these organizations use a video game card and not a dedicated accelerator card designed for them?

[citation][nom]Enzo Matrix[/nom]No man. Businesses buy more and pay more. Why do you think the nvidia version of firepro is so expensive?[/citation]

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Excuse me, but I think I hear people complaining about the cost of Nvidia cards and what the profits are for? Hmm.. free market; So, tell me, what made you feel forced into buying that Nvida card? hmm?

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]zilnicra[/nom]honestly im going to laugh at you and everyone who commented on something like this. for everyone who thinks that gamers drive the market, /facepalm. go into the real world and get a job. when you have a company that actually needs computing power, they'll have more nvidia gpu's than employees, cuz eveyone in development has 2 in their workstation, and 8 in their lab server. While the majority reason that businesses pay $4000 for essentially the same card us consumers pay $400 for is because businesses have the NEED to have serious computational horsepower working ALL the time, EVERY time, and are willing to pay for it. honestly, i'll pay 10k for a graphics card you paid 400 for if its going to cost me 50k an HOUR system down time. gaming is not as demanding as computing CT images, rendering models etc, however gaming does it real time, and in most enterprise applications we have to take time, because it NEEDS to be 100% correct 1000/1000 times. if its not then we don't detect the brain tumor that will kill you. however, i want a ct image with adequate detection at 0.005" in real time... but i cant buy 100 gpus[/citation]

How exactly did you prove your point? The only thing you did was writing what everybody already knows. Btw I work as a network admin in a fortune 500 Corp. Nobody pays 4k for a card, the most expensive ones are 3k or lower. Like I said you never addressed the issue, CAD cards are a NICHE market. The tag price difference isn't converted into profit. Do you think Cisco is making a 98% profit on a 5k$ switch?

The professional GPU market is around 0.1% and is mostly controlled by nVidia, around 80% market share.

zilnicra

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]The professional GPU market is around 0.1% and is mostly controlled by nVidia, around 80% market share.[/citation]

i highly doubt it is as little as 0.1% even if you include integrated. pulling %'s out of your ass is not an effective way to prove your point. my point is that workstation class graphics cards are incredibly more useful to everyday life than desktop graphics, and it amuses me how few people understand this

[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Haha! Did you just say Nvidia's version of FirePro? Nvidia developed their Quadros before that FirePro. Plus FirePro cannot compare to Quadro 6000. Quadro 6000 is worth more than FirePro V9800, it can produce performance over 50% more, and let's compare prices: Quadro 6000 = ~$5000, FirePro V9800 = ~$3500. Nvidia also has better SLI scaling, better driver and support with CUDA, and it made better movies[/citation]
I couldn't remember the name "quadro" when I posted lol :)

[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Thats just silly... They just cover the cost of R&D for CAD drivers. And business is a marginal market at best.[/citation]
Prove it, buddy. Prove that Nvidia and AMD don't make a large amount of money on all the graphic designers and movie developers.
This comment is about as ignorant as assuming the server CPU market is small.

[citation][nom]zodiacfml[/nom]It doesn't work that way. To make my point simple, why would these organizations use a video game card and not a dedicated accelerator card designed for them?[/citation]
Guy, they are the same card, with minor tweaks. The drivers are designed for the programs they use and not games and they make the most difference. All either a firepro or radeon are is GPU acceleration. Same technology, why design a completely new card to accelerate in the same way?

Status
Not open for further replies.