nVidia Graphics Drivers ALWAYS fail to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2014
I have been having a lot of problems with my GPU and its drivers... This all started about a year ago; I got my 9800GT ( lol ) and the drivers installed just fine... Then a few months up I tried updating my drivers, the 'Graphics Driver' part failed... It has been failing ever since... I got a more recent card ( 750ti Superclocked ) and that too failed its drivers, even on the first try! I was lost until windows automatically installed a driver for me but it wasn't from nVidia... I know this because none of the functions work on this card, PhysX games crash when I try to run them with it enabled; what is the problem?

Got an anti virus that might be stopping the driver download and installation?

You might have a corrupted Windows and need to to do a re-install. Or start in safe mode(F8) and do a computer repair or restore to last known good time

Also Google stuff eg http://www.custompcguide.net/2-methods-to-fix-nvidia-installer-failed-issue-for-geforce-video-cards/

Jul 15, 2014

I have Norton Internet Security as my Anti-Virus but it doesn't open anymore

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
If you're willing to, I'd try reinstalling your entire operating system. Once you have formatted and reinstalled the OS, first download GeForce Experience from Nvidia and let that determine the drivers for you, then install them. Thereafter reinstall Norton Internet Security and you may begin reinstalling all your previous software, and then restore your data.

I suggest reinstalling your OS since you can't open Norton Internet Security, in addition the inability to install GPU drivers; there could be other faults with your existing OS installation. I use Norton Internet Security too and I don't have issues with launching the security.

I'm only suggesting and it's worth a try if you have the time to reinstall your OS.

All the best. :)

Jul 15, 2014

By reinstalling will I have to loose all my files? =c

Billy B

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
i cannot remember the last time an Nvidia update DID NOT fail and every update i search the internet looking for an answer to know avail. This is what i do:

Download the driver from the nvidia web site (not from their stupid GeForce Experience thing) and open it. let it fail. Now, when you opened up that driver update, it unpacked everything into C:/Nvidia.

Go into windows' device manager and MANUALLY install the driver. When you are asked to browse your files for it, choose C:/Nvidia/DeviceDriver/[driver version] and make sure you check the option for searching subfolders. Then you are done.

1. download driver from nvidia's site
2. open the exe and let it fail
3. go into device manager and choose to update the driver manually ('browse my computer for driver software')
4. Point it to the location i already mentioned

i know this thread was marked as solved, but i really think this info should still be out there. i have no idea where i found the solution but it has been the only thing that works and people should know about it!

Jul 15, 2014

This is the solution. I found that not keeping your drivers up to date is in direct correlation with this problem. After almost a year [of reinstalling windows 7] I encountered this problem again, and I did what you said and it worked. Thank you very much for providing me with an answer other than what everyone else was telling me to do that actually worked! Everyone having the problem of their graphics drivers failing to install, use this method!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.