flickphil3

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Intel i5-3570k 3.40Ghz
Windows 10 64 bit
NVidia GTX 1050 ti
Benq G2400 monitor
8GB RAM

I have spent several hours trying different things, please help!!!

A month ago I upgrade my graphics card to NVidia GTX 1050 ti. My system is running on Windows 10 64 bit system (checked). The graphics card worked great for the first 3 weeks at 1920 x 1080 res and now its not!?!

Now my max setting is 1024 x 768 (only other option is 800 x 600) on 32 bit?

I'm using an old monitor BenQ G2400. In the device manage my monitor shows up as non-pnp-monitor. I have tried to alter this with CRU (Custom Resolution utility) which shows BenQ there and I can force 1920 x 1080 but I still cant get 64 bit!

I've tried:
- Installing/ uninstalling graphics card driver
- Role Back
- Different HDMI cable (1.3 and 1.2)
- CRU
- Restart after Restart
- Removing Nvidia in device manager and restart
- Reinstalling monitor driver

I also use Driver Booster to keep on top of drivers and its showing me just 1MB of video memory. Because of this I have tried to make sure that the graphics card in the BIOS is priority, but I cant find where this is (ASUS Motherboard P8Z77-V LX2 running on BIOS 22.02) and the screen is stretched so I cant scroll the screen to the far right or bottom.

Sounds like a ton of different issue clashing together. Let's try and disentangle some of them.

Resolution tends to go with the graphics card driver; the Windows default driver gave a relatively low resolution (so everything tends to look bigger). You've mentioned reinstalling the graphics driver, but have you performed a clean installation? Sometimes corrupt drivers can still cause a problem.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

You shouldn't have to use a custom resolution to achieve your native resolution; to me this indicates a driver issue of some sort.

Your last comment about the screen being stretched in BIOS... have you tried to adjust the settings of the actual monitor itself? Not in Windows, but via the buttons on the monitor (or whatever interface it uses).

That's all I can think of; hopefully others will have additional thoughts.

flickphil3

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017

flickphil3

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Carried out the clean installation - no change. Resolution options are only 1024 x 768 or 800 x 600 in 32 bit. Its the same when I use the Nvidia software, only showing 32 bit options on 64 bit software.

The BIOS page isn't changing with the settings on the monitor, the screen itself just gets smaller or bigger! Tried 1:1, 16:9 with no usable effect.

Are there any yellow triangles in Device Manager? Especially for the monitor and the graphics card.

I half suspect the system isn't picking up the graphics card properly (especially if it was working before). Have you tried to reseat the graphics card just in case it became loose for some unknown reason? Best check power connectors too just to eliminate those potential issues.

flickphil3

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017

flickphil3

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
There are no yellow warnings in the device manager.

The system identifies the graphics card before any software is installed and there are no power connectors on the card. I'll try reinstalling the card tonight

So it sounds like your system is recognising the monitor and graphics card fine then. Grasping at straws or scraping the bottom of the barrel here...

What about display settings? I ask because reading through your original post it's one of the few things not mentioned. The one accessed from desktop by right clicking, and perhaps the one accessed from Nvidia control panel.

flickphil3

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017

So going into the display settings shows only 2 options for resolution - the 1028 and the 800. In the graphics properties the highest resolution is 1028 at 32 bit.

New screen? Faulty card?

I physical reinstalled the card and checked connections, all good.

If Device Manager recognises both, then it doesn't seem to be a hardware fault. The lack of warnings would also suggest a related driver is also installed correctly. It effectively rules out the main sources of problems I'm aware of. I'm just going to throw out a bunch of questions of all the things I can think of which don't seem to be accounted for, in the hope there's something being overlooked...

HDMI cable is connected to the graphics card? (Just to be certain.)
Does the resolution problem occur with the graphics card in the other PCIe slot?
Do you remember anything happening before this change in resolution? (Crashes, loss of power, etc.)
Have you tried an older graphics driver? (On the slim chance the current graphics driver is causing the problem.)
Does the integrated graphics of the i5 display correctly? (Trying to eliminate a potential monitor issue.)

Personally still holding out on the hope there's something glaringly obvious being overlooked that someone can point out....

flickphil3

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017

HDMI cable is connected to the graphics card? (Just to be certain.) - Yes
Does the resolution problem occur with the graphics card in the other PCIe slot? - I only have 1 PCI-E slot on the motherboard
Do you remember anything happening before this change in resolution? (Crashes, loss of power, etc.) - not that I can think of, I didn't update any drivers (I did try a roll back to a driver that would have been in use when I first installed the Card to eliminate that possibility).
Have you tried an older graphics driver? (On the slim chance the current graphics driver is causing the problem.) - I still have my GTX750 somewhere so I will give it a go tonight.
Does the integrated graphics of the i5 display correctly? (Trying to eliminate a potential monitor issue.) - I don't have the integrated graphics card plugged into the monitor, will also try this tonight.

Cheers for trying to help.

flickphil3

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017

flickphil3

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
So, using my trusty old DVI cable into the Intel Graphics card automatically gives the option for 1920 x 1080 and recognise the monitor. Obviously intel 4000 cant really do that so the image is still blurred.

Reinstalled (yet again) NVidia drive using auto detect and - same old problem!!!

Any useful?

Well, it would seem to rule out a faulty monitor to me because it can display the native resolution. I admit that this is very strange...

Mind you, if the DVI cable worked for the integrated graphics... have you tried to connect the monitor to the graphics card using the DVI cable instead of the HDMI cables? (Faulty HDMI cables maybe?)

Is this your motherboard? https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX2/overview/
It should have another PCIe x16 slot. But we could test it with the 750. If the 750 displays correctly I would lean towards the 1050 ti being part of the issue.

Running out of ideas here...

flickphil3

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017

flickphil3

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Yes that's the motherboard.

So I can't install the 1050 card in the second pci slot due to the integrated fan on the board not fitting over the top 2 other slots on the board.

I did swap the hdmi cable last night with the one one my Xbox one, no luck. I don't have the correct adaptor for my dvi cable. It was running on the hdmi cable before the problem.

I've put the old card (gt610) in the top slot using the hdmi cable, reinstalled the driver, restarted pc and the same problem persists! Top resolution available 1024 x 768. Monitor not recognised (reverts to non pnp monitor).

Monitor goosed?

uninstall the nvidia driver with ddu uninstaller and install the latest from nvidia.com

the resolution you should go for is 1920 x 1200 32bit, refresh rate to 60Hz. (If it´s the Benq model: G2400WD or G2400WA or G2400WT or G2400W)

32bit is the color depth and has nothing in common with a 64bit operating system (extended addressing).
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/32-bit-and-64-bit-explained.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth

if the custom tool works with 1080p and 32bit, all is fine

you can also try to reset the monitor settings in the on screen display (OSD)

Do try what the others have suggested, as I can get overly focused on one aspect. They bring a new perspective with their experience.

That last sentence caught my attention more than anything else. It suggests a monitor driver issue to me. I assume in Device Manager it shows as a generic monitor? What does it show in the Nvidia control panel? (I have an older VGA monitor on my PC which shows as generic in Device Manager but recognised in Nvidia control panel. Native resolution does show in Display Settings and the Nvidia control panel.)