Nvidia GTX 1070 Max Fan speed at idle, 30C temp but monitoring software says 0 RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterofwar14

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Hello, this issue randomly started happening today. As described in the title, the card's fan speed is going at what seems like max (I've never heard it be this loud before) even though the temp is at 30C. I usually use EVGA Precision X to set my fan curve which should have it at 40% at this temp. The problem seems to be that the software isn't able to see the RPM so it can't set it. I tried using HWMonitor as well but it also shows 0 RPM, although it does show 40% for FanPWM.

I've tried dusting the card and a clean install of my drivers. The clean install seemed to work for about 10 minutes and the RPM was visible, but it started up again. I tried searching for this but the only suggestions I saw were the ones I tried.

Any ideas?

Edit: As of now, the issue seems to of fixed itself by simply playing a game that taxed the GPU a bit. It's following the fan curve and being tracked properly. Will update here if it comes back.

Solution
Sounds like a bad sensor. Normally when your system can't detect what speed a variable speed fan is rotating at, it just tells the fan to spin at max speed (aka F-18 mode). Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the fix might be. Replacing the fan and/or cooling assembly might do the trick. You could also try running DDU ( https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html ) and reinstalling the driver, but I'm not sure that'll do the trick.

masterofwar14

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Unfortunately the issue has returned. Doing what I mentioned before doesn't fix it anymore and it seems to just randomly fix itself. At a friend's suggestion, I updated/flashed both BIOS on the card, as EVGA put out an update last year. Unfortunately that didn't help either. Still looking for any ideas but I may need to have this RMA'd

hymness

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

Hi, I have the same problem. My GPU is a GTX 770 however. The fans would spin normally, then it shows at 0 RPM and fans go full force. Still haven't figured the problem, but I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

masterofwar14

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

Unfortunately, as mentioned before, software like this doesn't work seeing as it can't see the fan speed or control it. I've tried using that program along with plenty of other fan curve / fan monitoring programs but everything shows 0 RPM and can't change it.

fishburger

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017
have the card behaved like this from the very beginning? no so the card can be at fault there is no separat rpm counter coming of the card,all signals go trough p-cie system if it happens intermittent try to put the card in an other slot,or take it out and re install in same slot,make shure it goes in lock.
have you had a good look in bios is there any place in bios wheer you can adjust / enable/disable different parts on the MB.?If you take the card out off the slot take a good look at the connetions points,if not rma the card.

imrazor

Distinguished
Sounds like a bad sensor. Normally when your system can't detect what speed a variable speed fan is rotating at, it just tells the fan to spin at max speed (aka F-18 mode). Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the fix might be. Replacing the fan and/or cooling assembly might do the trick. You could also try running DDU ( https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html ) and reinstalling the driver, but I'm not sure that'll do the trick.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.