Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti Reportedly Up To 19 Percent Faster than GTX 1060

hannibal

Distinguished
The price, the price, the price...

The performance was not so great, but it is mobile version, so the desktop version may be better. But if they release 1160 at 270-300$ it is not very impressive... If it will same as 1060, then not bad, but not great either...
I am not too hopeful for great price. Better than RTX of course, but everything should be better in that sentence...

artk2219

Distinguished
This one is definitely going to come down to pricing. Its potentially only 10% faster than the RX 590 which lands at $260 and comes with 3 games, and its potentially slower than GTX 1070's that you can still pick up for starting at $320. If they price it at $280 to $299 it should be ok, but it wont be anything to write home about, but at $250? That's a solid deal with current pricing, I doubt they will though. I'm sure they have plenty of bad silicon they could use for this when it comes to RTX, but that is a very expensive proposition if theyre just using harvested dies for this. Supposedly its its own separate die, so hopefully its not anywhere near the 445mm squared of RTX, but we'll see how nvidia handles this.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13570/the-amd-radeon-rx-590-review/16

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709%20601202919%20601323902

CanoeBeyond

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
Name games as usual. RTX was a nonevent. Upping the GTX 1060 core count by 20% to get a 19% performance increase? Really? I'm underwhelmed to say the least. What the heck is 1660, and then Ti? Ti used to mean something. Now it just looks like NVidia has run out of innovation and is name changing us to death. All I can say is BLAH.

mischon123

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
RTX at its current level of performance is a nonstarter. This one is a GTX rehash. The supply line got too expensive. All the "metrics" of carefully massaged Nvidia marketing falters. Engineering is trumped by wishful thinking . The roadmap is imaginary. Same with Intel, Apple etc. The consumer base is bleed dry. I suggest Nvidia make just one good card and pass on the volume savings to their customer. Greed hurts stockholders. That futureproof card would be a multilane PCI 5.0/3.0 compatible RTX 4080 with 24mb GDDR6 on a 7nm process. Atomized product offerings dont work in an environment of enlightened customers vs. the evangelical marketing dogma of today. Nvidia is old paradigm and it shows.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I have a feeling that the Red team is going to gain a lot more market share in the coming months... Green team has dug themselves into a proverbial hole. I love my 1060 6gb... been one of the best cards ive ever had, it was a tough choice between the 480 and the 1060 but i have zero regrets. The future upgrade path at this point looks like Red team for me, but its still early.

freedomnow

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
I disagree with the notion that all we want is faster graphics. With adaptive sync and 60 fps all the other frames rendered above this cannot be seen as our eyes cannot detect greater then 60 fps. We do detect change in frame rate but if you have a consistent 60 fps this is all you need. I would be more then happy to sacrifice my unseen frames to remove all flickering in the games. I'm happy that Nvidia has invented some new rendering techniques to improve overall quality. To me the RTX 2060 at $350 provides a very good !$. My guess is that this card will be priced at $249 but I think $100 for RTX + 20% perf is worth it. Maybe this new card will not require external power which current the 1050 ti is the fastest card you can buy that does not require external power.

artk2219

Distinguished

I disagree with the notion that the 2060 at $350 is a great deal, its not bad, but for slightly more you can get vega 64, which in some cases trades blows with a 2070, and comes with 3 games. The down sides being of course power consumption and heat, but starting at roughly $400 or in the case of the msi card $379.99 after rebate, its hard to ignore. Of course the real smart move is to just wait a few months and see how Navi pans out, unless we are about to go through another ridiculous cryptocurrency surge that should be the plan. Or go used, you can pick up used GTX 1070's for around $230 now.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13762/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-founders-edition-6gb-review

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20601327179%208000%20601301447&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&order=PRICE

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gtx+1070&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_blrs=recall_filtering&LH_PrefLoc=1&LH_BIN=1&rt=nc

samiup

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I want a GTX xx70 from nVidia without the RTX fluff for ~ $350. otherwise no deal.

nViidia made a huge mistake with G-Sync then they followed up with an even bigger mistake which is RTX.
RTX should be OPTIONAL, just ask Microsoft how did Kinnect work out for them...

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished

You are quite wrong about the Vega64 being able to trade blows with the GTX1070 "in some cases". ;) (but I think that might not be what you meant to type)

For one, AMD drivers mature over time. And for two, the Vega64 never trade blows with the 1070, it traded blows with the 1080 after initial launch.

Here you can see a Vega64 handily outperforming a GTX1080 in almost every test at every resolution, in a more recent review of a Vega64 card: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/powercolor-red-devil-rx-vega-64-8gb,5517-3.html

Of course, you have to be able to handle its 280w power consumption (or more with an OC) for it to make sense.

artk2219

Distinguished

It says 2070 my friend :D, you may have misread that a bit. That being said, I agree, other than the power and heat, its currently a heck of a card, which is a far cry from its initial launch position. Of course it also helps when your competitor is being a bit silly with pricing, and when the product in question has had a bit of a price drop.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished

Good call, my eyes are playing tricks ... :)

I actually was very surprised to see it that low on the links you provided. Good to see it priced where it should be finally but that was a bit too little too late ... stupid mining craze ... lol.

artk2219

Distinguished

While i agree, they kind of shot themselves in the foot when it comes to naming. Naming it the 1060 ti lumps it in with the older generation of cards, while giving it a 2000 moniker lumps it in with all of the ray tracing cards. Now they could have thrown a GTX infront and called it a GTX 2060, but that's just asking for more consumer confusion and returns when they accidentally buy a card that isn't as fast as the RTX 2060 and doesn't do ray tracing. So they did the best they could and just added a 6 after the 1 to differentiate it from both, but its still a clunky as hell solution. Don't even get me started on their usage of RTX and the potential confusion with AMD's RX line, granted AMD doesn't have the same market share, its still just bad naming practice. Heck all of these new cards from Nvidia seem rushed and Ill conceived, I'm wondering what the hurry is...

artk2219

Distinguished

Agreed, unless they're reserving that for some reason?

Also agreed, curious to see what they'll do with their next series, just dump it all and go 3000 for everything and throw in rtx for even the lowest card that doesn't have the grunt for it. Or keep splitting the cards somehow.

I think it depends on competition, if they have none they’ll probably just keep the same until they realise ray tracing isn’t that amazing right now and devs don’t want to spend more time on a proprietary form of an emerging tech then probably drop it like they kinda did with PhysX.

If they have competition from AMD I can see RTX staying on the 70+ cards and dropping it on the rest to compete for performance per dollar with AMD. Or them releasing GTX 70+ cards if Radeon group pulls a Zen on Nvidia.