Nvidia GTX 480 3-Way SLI Tested Against Radeons

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
This is very interesting but I insist on seeing the benchmarks.
I still don't get why they took so long and delivered a graphics card that is not that impressive.
Although I like ATI, the tessellation it's quite impressive, the only problem is the price point and consumption.
For example, I now have an ATI 4870 and i know is not a big deal but if you could see how much do graphic card cost in here you would do the same. And having this card I'd like to have one from the new family just be cause they consume less power while in idle which is most of the time.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
Is it still viable to use ONE Nvidia card (for PhysX calculation) along with maybe dual ATI in crossfire setup?

I would love to build new gaming rig using ATI card this time after many years on Nvidia....

hebe

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I think this article is a bit sensational with it's summary... Dual SLI seems to beat Dual CrossFireX fairly easily. Triple SLI vs. Triple CrossFireX is obviously a different story (although, that may change slightly in the future depending on driver updates). While the cost of either solution is quite high, I think Nvidia may be banking on the fact that very few people actually use a triple SLI setup. Actual value based on power draw is tough to determine over time, but I'd say it's probably not much of a concern if you can afford to assemble one of these massive gaming rigs to begin with.

G

Ummm...tri sli GTX 480s are way faster than any other setup looking at the benchmarks, so whats with the "nvidia is fail"

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]asdf634[/nom]On the bright side, you can save money from buying and using a heater during the winter, 3 Fermis will be more than adequate, so it's not so bad. I bet that's nVidia's bonus feature to their customers!![/citation]
That is true, but in the summer you will need a few air conditioners or you will dehydrate and burn up :p

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I like how all people ever discuss is "They cost more and don't perform as well". Who cares? The same goes for vehicles. No matter what, there's something that will perform better for less money. It's all about preference, so let's leave it at that. I personally would never buy an ATI card, but that's just me. I have nothing against them, I just prefer Nvidia, and always have.

quicksilver98

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]I like how all people ever discuss is "They cost more and don't perform as well". Who cares? The same goes for vehicles. No matter what, there's something that will perform better for less money. It's all about preference, so let's leave it at that. I personally would never buy an ATI card, but that's just me. I have nothing against them, I just prefer Nvidia, and always have.[/citation]

I agree, but I think what most are getting at is that they don't care if its a Ford or Chevy etc. Just that there are a lot of major design flaws associated with the Fermi line. I think they should spend a bit more on R&D before releasing the Grillforce cards.

Plain and simple-
Runs Hot
Consumes massive power
Sub Par Performance
Expensive

**Steps off soap box**

shinmalothar

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
The problem I have is that my current build is completely geared towards nvidia, 780i mobo, SLi compliant RAM etc...If I want my DX11 fix (and considering I might want dual GPU's) im stuck with the 470's/480's...atleast until the cheaper variants come out.

Do I buy an overpriced card or do I buy a whole new setup and go I7 with ATi...

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]I like how all people ever discuss is "They cost more and don't perform as well". Who cares? The same goes for vehicles. No matter what, there's something that will perform better for less money. [/citation]

Haha I Have to respond to this since its used so often in graphics card arguments. While I do get the point its a pointless analogy Its far easier to justify a vehicle than a graphic card to your significant other and even then splashing out in an over priced vehicle that drinks fuel rather than sips it is still near impossible to justify. After all fuel is about twice as much here per gallon as is electricity. Like it or not efficiency is very important to some people it leads to good price/performance. After all, why throw an extra 300+ at something for little or no return when you could spend it a new monitor, or even games? Im sorry but that argument needs addressed since people would not comment about cost/performance if it didn't matter.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
[citation][nom]shinmalothar[/nom]The problem I have is that my current build is completely geared towards nvidia, 780i mobo, SLi compliant RAM etc...[/citation]
No such thing as SLI compliant ram. Its just a catchy little marketing phrase for noobs to fall for and spend more money than is necessary for a similar piece of hardware.

The only thing in your system that would need to be swapped out is the motherboard. Given the amount of money you would save by buying ATI cards, you could buy a new motherboard combo at many places and probably come out at the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.