Nvidia GTX 660 run 144hz monitor?

b00balicouz

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
GPU: GeForce GTX 660
CPU: Intel(R) core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Memory: 8.00 GB RAM
operating systwm is windows 7
im a huge noob when i comes to computers i just like to play games without worrying about specs so go easy on me

b00balicouz

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
for battlefield 4 i would usually go high settings as opposed to ultra, but really the only game i play and are interested in is csgo which i run at higher settings because it is less intensiive

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
I have a GTX 660 and found it's kinda crappy. It takes a really old game (like Half-Life 2 old) or really low details to get it to render something like 144 fps. On 2007 on later games you're looking for 60 fps levels and on the newest stuff you'll be glad for 'playable' on decent details.

So no, if you're looking for a gaming monitor, most likely you won't be able to fully use 144 Hz. It will work, sure, but not smoother than a 60 Hz one unless you're playing old games or on low details.

Exactly the point that was made in the thread I linked to, however, if there is a problem with your older monitor, which there very well could be, it would still look much better running only at 60hz or with lower settings, plus, when you do upgrade your system or GPU later, you'll already have the monitor for the better transition. Why buy one monitor now and possibly feel the need to replace it shortly after upgrading. Just a thought.