Nvidia Has A Crypto-Hangover, Mid-Range Turing Cards Likely Delayed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

The way I've come to view them is that they're playing the capitalism game as fiercely as professional gamers play eSports. Cold and ruthlessly.

The trick of capitalism is that it tries to harness the motivating principle of greed and self-interest for the benefit of society. Of course, this can awry in a number of ways and for various reasons, but capitalism is in fact very much built on the engine of greed.

So, it feels a little bit misguided to criticize a company for being greedy. That doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with this situation, but I don't think the core problem is actually their greed.

I do understand that it is normal for them to be greedy.
I mean it's human nature after all but as a gamer I am kinda tired of all the price increases and excuses given for them to charge more and more.

First it was ssd about two years ago. Remember when you had to pay over 100 bucks for a crappy 250gb sata ssd?
Then it was DRAM which is still way overpriced today.
later on the gpu and the explanation given was it was the evil miners but now they say the mining craze is over and yet the prices are still high because some of the cards are still being sold above their msrp, over two years after they were released!
This lead me to suspect it is because Nvidia wanted to charge even more for their "new" RTX cards which apart of their badly implemented rtx feature are barely much better than the pascal cards.

2070~1080
2080~1080ti
2080ti~ what a pascal Titan should have been about 25-30% faster than the 1080ti

edit: oh yeah now Intel is saying that they have problem making cpus
well at least most of us could say "FU" to them and buy AMD instead

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Well, there's not usually such a big performance gap between an 80 Ti card and the Titan. Of course, you could argue that for the price of Titans, they should be that much faster, but I don't think there's precedent for it.

Anyway, going from 16 nm to 12 nm, I don't think we could've expected a bigger performance gap, assuming they kept the previous price structure. However, RT and Tensor cores chewed up die space, forcing higher prices. It's really the pricing that makes Turing's performance unacceptable. And that extra silicon could've been used to push performance up maybe another 20-40%.

have you seen the GamersNexus video showing how badly ray tracing is implemented in BF5?
and people have been waiting months for that feature

Personally, I don't even know what to upgrade to from my gtx 1080
I am dissatisfied with its performance in 4K but I don't want to spend almost three times as much on the 2080ti
currently there is no gpu at ~600 usd that is clearly better than the card that was released two and a half years ago

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I guess you mean this?
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaUP4LucmZM"]Battlefield V RTX Deep-Dive: Reality vs. Demo Graphics Comparison[/video]

Yeah, there are definitely issues with noise, draw-in, and a couple other minor things. But you have to watch the video carefully, to note where they're critiquing RTX on vs. RTX off. For instance, they spend a lot of time on screen space reflections with RTX off - issues that should be solved with RTX on.

To be honest, I think it'll take another couple generations of game engines before we see the full capabilities of RTX. Existing engines simply weren't designed for ray tracing, and I'm pretty sure that's having not only a performance impact but also limiting the rendering quality.

stdragon

Admirable
So, basically what I'm getting out of this is that the 1st gen RTX is nothing but an "enhancer" for existing 3D engine technology; something like enhanced shading. When you think about it, it's pretty absurd to be paying $$$$ for enhanced puddles in Battlefield V.

I'll pass.

exactly!
imo you no longer getting what you are paying by upgrading to the current RTX cards
Nvidia is charging a premium for a feature that is neither fully developed nor available, considering BFV is the only game available with RT (other than some Chinese mmorpg) more than 3 months after the rtx cards were released.

If the new RTX 2060 benchmarks are real, it shows that this new budget card is slower than the gtx 1070
Those of us who aren't old and senile still remember that the gtx 1060 6gb was quite a bit faster than the gtx 970
and the 970 was quite a bit faster than the gtx 780