Nvidia Hints That Kepler is 3x Faster Than Fermi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3x?
No
The entire game engine has been overhauled, FXAA is being used, and the 680 is faster, but who knows by how much?
Tri SLI loses a great deal in scaling as well.
In this demo? it could be as low as only 70% than a single card, that did do MSAA and the demo wasnt as tweaked by then, as if Epic wouldnt do that
This doesnt say a lot about the 680 other than it will be decent

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]I'll believe it when I see it. I already bought an AMD 7950 and have no intention of replacing it. I do really want to see the competition in the GPU arena remain steady though.It's a shame we waste so much power and money on sloppy console ports. I'd be more excited to see Nvidia open its own game studio to make games to promote high-end GPUs and its Tegra devices. Seeing another Epic tech demo does not interest me. The Samaritan tech demo has some really weak lighting although I am glad to see that the plastic-wrapped look is gone.[/citation]

A lot of game companies are making PC versions of their games these days, not just porting from console versions. An example would be Borderlands 2 - the original BL was ported to PC, but Gearbox has specifically said the PC version of BLT (Borderlands Two, as some of us like to call it :) ) is not a port. The PC version will be released at the same time as the versions for the Xbox and PS3 (Sept 18, 2012 in the U.S.A.).

;)

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007

They said in the article, just before summer 2011 that demo was running 3x 580's just to run that next gen demo.
They didn't state what keplar card did it, but i can only guess 1x 680. There referring to 1x keplar card beating 3x 580's. :non:

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]no matter the prices people will buy new hardware[/citation]

Are you suggesting that nvidia people are like Apple people?

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
It was single graphics card, but might've been dual gpu, with the msaa->fxaa change, it might be just about 20% faster. Well, we should know for sure soon enough.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]giovanni86[/nom]They said in the article, just before summer 2011 that demo was running 3x 580's just to run that next gen demo.They didn't state what keplar card did it, but i can only guess 1x 680. There referring to 1x keplar card beating 3x 580's.[/citation]perhaps they mean 1x Kepler dual chip card? oh yeah... possible....may be....

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Bought a 7970, just hope AMD stands by its promise to deliver more up to date drivers and by that i mean support the newest titles with xfire ect. I dont want to have to scourage the forums for hacks to enable something that should have worked since day one when a new pice of software is released. Nvidia have by far quicker responce when new titles are released and usualy the latest driver support the new games right away when their released.

For instance Diablo 3 already have full sli and ambient occlusion support in the nvidia drivers, will amd drivers even have xfire support when it will be released or do i have to scourage the forums to get xfire to kick in? AMD make good gpu hardware, just wish their drivers were at the same level!

its just bs marketing, there is no way it is 3x faster than previous gen. they have never done that and i dont think they can this time around.
i mean come on, if they have such a beast, why keep the data for themselves? they might as well show it and make amd's sale drop like a rock. it's all rumors, no concrete numbers so close to lunch date.
if they pull something like that, i will buy that card asap.

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I think Elvis said it appropriately:

"A little less conversation, a little more action, please
All this aggravation ain't satisfactioning me
A little more bite and a little less bark
A little less fight and a little more spark
Close your mouth and open up your heart and, baby, satisfy me"

/amigoingtojailforpiratingthislyric?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cons29[/nom]its just bs marketing, there is no way it is 3x faster than previous gen. they have never done that and i dont think they can this time around.i mean come on, if they have such a beast, why keep the data for themselves? they might as well show it and make amd's sale drop like a rock. it's all rumors, no concrete numbers so close to lunch date.if they pull something like that, i will buy that card asap.[/citation] they could, just line amd could make a gpu that is 8X more powerful than what they currently offer, brute force vs finesse, you want the worlds fastest card, well its up for grabs and its all about how you want to go about it... is it the best method to get that speed... probably not, but unless amd brute forces it too, they will be behind for about 1-2 years.

brute force is not the way you want power, because its more expensive (consumer end) than it is on finesse way of doing it.

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]witcherx[/nom]The new AMD Releases Catalyst 12.2 Drivers makes the 7970 cards 2x faster then Kepler cards[/citation]

Haha i was just hinting/joking stop tagging me lol :p
can we also tag news article :p?

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
1 new gfx card better than 3 poorly scaled sli setup?

using that as a benchmark, ati's new 7970 beat out (in some tests) xfired 6900's. But I guess this is more of a scaling issue and not "omg our new card is 2x better!?!".

Why don't they go ahead and put 20 old cards in 1 lane pci and demonstrate that their card is 20x better!

Also, I find it amusing that Apple's chip is 1.5-2x(not the 3 times, as advertised) better at graphical performance than Tegra3.

I really feel that nVidia is setting itself up for a failure on the scale of bulldozer.

sicom

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
[citation]Seeing another Epic tech demo does not interest me. The Samaritan tech demo has some really weak lighting although I am glad to see that the plastic-wrapped look is gone.[/citation]
Put away whatever drugs you're on. The lighting in the demo is far and away better than anything we've seen in games. The dark, wet night was specifically chosen to show off the luminescence of the lighting and life like reflections.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]they could, just line amd could make a gpu that is 8X more powerful than what they currently offer, brute force vs finesse, you want the worlds fastest card, well its up for grabs and its all about how you want to go about it... is it the best method to get that speed... probably not, but unless amd brute forces it too, they will be behind for about 1-2 years. brute force is not the way you want power, because its more expensive (consumer end) than it is on finesse way of doing it.[/citation]
It's cute that you think consumer cost is the reason AMD isn't making cards 8x more powerful than today's cards, and your rambling about brute force vs finesse is just icing on the cake. The real reason they aren't is because they can't, the technology isn't there yet. You can't just keep cramming more transistors in chips, there's this little problem called heat. That's why process shrinks are so important, it lets you cram more stuff into the same thermal envelope, as well as physical space.

If they were to go and stuff enough of today's technology in a single chip to get even a 2x increase in performance, much less 8x, the chip would be so hot it would literally burn itself up in minutes.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
How many times they are trying to FOOL its customer by saying 3X faster. 3X Faster by using FXAA or post processing Anti Aliasing on that Game Demo ?. PLEASE SHUT UP.............

Status
Not open for further replies.