Nvidia Intros Dual-GPU Card Next Month?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Expect 1 of these to need 850w of power and 1000w to really push the speeds and allow for overclocking headroom.

Single GPU solutions work for up to dual 1920x1080s or 1 2560x1440 gtx 580 oc'd

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]Sweet! A battle of two cards that will account for 0.001% of video cards purchased. Entertaining for sure but not practical for most. Its just for bragging rights.How about a dual 6850 card that costs less than two separate cards? Or a dual 460 card. That would definitely draw my attention.[/citation]

obviously nvidia and amd wasn't thinking about (you) the frugal market when they make enthusiast class cards. which warrants your opinion useless.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]blibba[/nom]How on earth are they keeping this to 375W? Is it running at 500mhz?For sure aftermarket overclocker orientated cards are going to need extra connectors. That said, with fully fledged cores, overclocking potential for those with the cooling and power to feed it should be beastly.[/citation]

I think the GPUs will be underclocked by a huge amount.If so it'll hard for the 590 to compete with 6990. AMD has the better performance / power .

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]those cards aren't for everyonebut two of those look like possible replacements for my old 295's. Quad SLI is always the best combo.[/citation]
make sure you get a fast enough Intel processor to keep up with this monster of a card in an SLI setup.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
nVidia is stepping up their game again. They are landing some blows on AMD right now. It was looking a lot better for AMD at the start of last year. Now it looks better for nVidia.

The 6970s scale VERY well, so even though their slower than the 580s this may be a dogfight in the dual GPU segment.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
[citation][nom]lutfij[/nom]nvidia need to include a fire extinguisher in the GTX 590 bundle. but i must admit , the GTX 580 phantom is an awesome lookign card with REALLLY good grafix...too bad your the room heater wont be needed as summer rolls down in a couple of weeks...[/citation]

The heat and fire jokes are almost as old as the "But can it play Crysis"

STFU already

JeebusSK

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Geez, Thank god this is coming out, my old Geforce 580GTX is ANCIENT! I need something to keep up with the new Call Of Duty Black Ops Content Pack!

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]The heat and fire jokes are almost as old as the "But can it play Crysis"STFU already[/citation]

Seriously, everyone who isn't a dumb ass knows that the gtx580 fixed most of the heat/power consumption issues. Anyone who still feels the need to bring up heat issues is an AMD fan boy

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]lutfij[/nom]nvidia need to include a fire extinguisher in the GTX 590 bundle. but i must admit , the GTX 580 phantom is an awesome lookign card with REALLLY good grafix...too bad your the room heater wont be needed as summer rolls down in a couple of weeks...[/citation]
yes it would be nice to get rid of my 1500 watt space heater next to me on the floor as it is only a mild +13ºF
my SLI'd 275's are barely enough to keep the room at 58ºF with 2 games running.
hopefully a 590 would be enough for me to turn off my space heater and my furnace but that would slow down this global warming which is supposed to make my area tropical :/

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]3gb ram?? effectively 1.5gb im guessing. I think all this dual gpu crap is worthless. isnt it a much better option to pick 2 cards for sli/crossfire. Also, im expecting the pciexpress bs to be saturated with these cards. it would be like running 2 gtx580's with 1 8x slots each.[/citation]

When dual core processors started to come out they talked about how you could only get so much power out of 1 core...so isn't this the same thing? transitioning to multiple cores for 1 video card will improve speeds...unless I am wrong on something here.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Exactly. A good example that AMD just has more room in dual GPU single card department has been Asus Ares: a two full scale 5870s in one card without down clocking. Expensive but doable.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Cant wait when Video cards will be just as big as motherboards...lol. I just wish high-end GPUs could be just as power friendly as high-end CPUs...sigh...crazy electric bills!!!!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Cant wait when Video cards will be just as big as motherboards...lol. I just wish high-end GPUs could be just as power friendly as high-end CPUs...sigh...crazy electric bills!!!![/citation]

Yeah, due to expansion port power restrictions the GPU frequencies have to be scaled down and I do not see much room for OC. I wonder if Intel will increase the power threshold in future MBs? I assume yes, but would be great if Nvidia/AMD would also make their GPUs much more efficient. Especially Nvidia!

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]fayzaan[/nom]When dual core processors started to come out they talked about how you could only get so much power out of 1 core...so isn't this the same thing? transitioning to multiple cores for 1 video card will improve speeds...unless I am wrong on something here.[/citation]
This is completely different. GPU's are already multi core and heavily threaded by nature. Some of the confusion might stem from the incorrect use of the term "dual core" when referring to the GTX590/HD6990, when they're actually dual GPU. I was just thinking about how this could lead to some confusion right before you posted your comment. In short the situation is quite a bit different from the transition to dual core processors.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Anyone else notice the unrealistic TDP they quoted. Its less then a GTX580, yet this is suppose to be 2 slapped together?[/citation]
I don't understand what you mean. At least in this article, no specifics are given regarding the TDP of the GTX590. A few of the comments mention the power configuration providing up to 375W, but even then that's quite a bit higher then the 244W TDP of the GTX580.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
As long as I can Quad SLI / Quad fire 4 of these dual gpu cards in 1 pc then I am happy, will cut down on basic home pc tasks to 13hours avg in Quad SLI.
Nice to see Nvidia and AMD is emerging from the dark ages.

Intel cpu's / AMD cpu's needs to wake up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.