News Nvidia Is Fighting Dish Network Over Next-Gen Hopper GPU Trademark

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Nvidia is like Odin in GoW, needs to control and or destroy anything even remotely that can interfere with them, even before it happens if possible...

Co BIY

Splendid
Hopper seems like it has such a long general meaning as a "storage space that provides ready access" that it should be difficult to use as a trademark.

and using someone's name without their actual endorsement/permission seems questionable to me.

Apr 1, 2020
nVidia should just give them the middle finger and make Dish take them to court for the judge to make a quick dismissal. Ever since Dish started marketing their Hopper DVR system, they've done so with their kangaroo logo, and they're losing subscribers for their TV and wireless services by the hundreds of thousands per quarter.

Hopper_Straight_LowElevation.png

DSC_2929.jpg

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
That's why all these trademarks on name is silly in my opinion. Does that mean that a person's name is Hopper can sue any company or person using his/ her name? In the first place, the name Hopper is used for clearly different products in this case. So I don't really see a problem other than the fact that either one of them is just trying to be difficult.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
That's why all these trademarks on name is silly in my opinion. Does that mean that a person's name is Hopper can sue any company or person using his/ her name? In the first place, the name Hopper is used for clearly different products in this case. So I don't really see a problem other than the fact that either one of them is just trying to be difficult.
NVidia isn't attempting to trademark the name simply for GPUs, but for software, cloud services, and LCD devices. It's silly to deny there's substantial overlap here. As for your hypothetical man named "Hopper", had he first registered his name for use in marketing a similar product, then yes he could sue. Otherwise, no.

Nvidia is like Odin in GoW, needs to control and or destroy anything even remotely that can interfere with them, even before it happens if possible...
You realize, right, that it was Dish who filed this suit, not NVidia.

Some people are just not very legally aware as to what Trademarks or Copy Rights are and what they mean. I highly recommend watching some Legal Eagle on YouTube to better understand US Trademark and Copy Right law.