Nvidia Launches Site for Intel-Nvidia Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]-Alessandro-[/nom]Good information! Nice to know Nvidia if fighting for a better future![/citation]
Their own future, I presume ...

G

[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]Their own future, I presume ...[/citation]
Because companies should fight for the future of other companies?

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I guess that if Intel paid off AMD to go away & now Nvidia wants their cut as well... Maybe small retailers could use this tactic against Walmart?

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]Because companies should fight for the future of other companies?[/citation]
Not just any other companies at that, but their competitors.

buddhist2k

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Is Nvidia going to throw support behind AMD? If so...that is a stupid thing to do since AMD owns Nvidia's GPU rival. The modern america = punishing successful companies. I just read over nvidia's STACK OF EVIDENCE site... I dont see how this warrants an antri-trust suit. There are other competitors in that same market. Note To Self: Don't become too successful or Risk putting a target on your back.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Awesome gives me the opportunity to follow this wherever it may lead in the years to come. I would love to see a true "third" competitor in the x86 business as I am sure many others would. Preferably not a "low-end" maker like Via turned out to be but someone with the funds, technology and drive to take on the two big guys. Intel's dominance is starting to show and being a lackey for there products that I am it's not doing consumers any good. Although economic situations can't be helping any of us right now.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Good media coverage, bad media coverage, Nvidia just loves any articles about them, who cares about good drivers or advanced graphics cards, just gimme press coverage!

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
"Technologies like NVIDIA's game-changing graphics and chipset products have been kept in short supply or blocked from the market entirely by Intel's anticompetitive practices."

Yeah, right. Just give us Fermi already.

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
This is all becuase Intel wont give Nvidia rights to the QPI technology that they need to create motherboard chipsets for the Core I series processors. And i hate to say it but Nvidia is getting whats coming to them they did this crap to Intel back when Intel wanted to Buy SLI rights from Nvidia and Nvidia denied them the rights to its tech. So now Nvidia is pissed and wanting to Sue Intel. What a little baby company that cant even create a product thats comparable to what ATI has on the market. Quit worrying about Chipsets for Intel Processors and build a damn Video card thats not 800 Dollars that can trounce the ATI offerings.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
great seeing where nvidia is putting their revenue stream...god forbid they put that money toward releasing a decent driver that doesn't fry gpu's...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
You have frittered away a total market domination in the GPU market by allowing ATI to have every single market segment from entry level to hardcore gamer. You pissed off your own loyal fanboys by waiting so long to release Fermi that the potential ATI product that renders it redundant will probably be in the shops in time for Xmas. You have now taken one of the only companies out their that could still be viewed as an ally (or at least not a direct competitor) and bad-mouthed them in public.

I am certain of fewer and fewer things in the world as time goes by, but one of the things that seems abundently clear to me is that if Jen-Hsun Huang wasn't the President and Founder of nVidia the board would have asked for his resignation a loooooong time ago.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I want to start out this comment to say I want my arguments to be as neutral as possible, sorry if it comes across the wrong way.

wcooper is absolutely correct, Intel is just getting back at Nvidia for the SLI deal. If I were Huang, I'd think to myself that a little fish doesn't fight the whale. I mean, Nvidia has their share of problems; Fermi was delayed almost six months, there's the whole deal of putting new stickers on old cards (8800GT, 9800GT, GTS250), etc.

As an intel user, I have to say that intel integrated graphics stink. Sorry, but they do. None of them can produce even decent 3D graphics (for lack of acceleration). So, the suit is simple. If the customer wants to play games, or do anything 3D for that matter, then invest in a Nvidia discrete graphics card, and don't buy intel. Simple as that. The market seems fair to me.

+1 Zinosys, I believe you hit the nail on the head there.

I'm a bit suprised that the two companies are acting so anti-competitive. If intel and nvidia paired up, amd/ati would lose even more market share. An intel board with nvidia graphics is (imho) the best choice for people running without a dedicated video card nowdays. Argue if you will; I've had far less trouble with nView than with Catalyst.

macadami

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Wow what a conundrum.....support AMD by buying a 5800 series card, or wait for fermi based card and support AMD by buying a card made by a rival that is against AMD's main competition...

My enemy's enemy is still my enemy?

liquidon

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ssddx[/nom]+1 Zinosys, I believe you hit the nail on the head there.I'm a bit suprised that the two companies are acting so anti-competitive. If intel and nvidia paired up, amd/ati would lose even more market share. An intel board with nvidia graphics is (imho) the best choice for people running without a dedicated video card nowdays. Argue if you will; I've had far less trouble with nView than with Catalyst.[/citation]

+1 on that one.... I am trying not to be a fanboi but..... I have yet to go to ATI. I did have some of there ole stuff in the day but with they way things are going I might have to go back to (ATI). Man I just want a game that pushes the current tech to the max(erhem CRYSIS).

thrust2night

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
@ wcooper007 and Zinosys

It doesn't matter if Nvidia is getting back Intel for the SLI deal. Just because Nvidia did not want to sell SLI licensing to Intel doesn't mean Intel has the right to take away their chipset license from Nvidia. They had a deal and Intel clearly is on the wrong. And look at what has happened now, Intel doe shave the SLI license and Nvidia is still not able to make Intel chipsets plus Intel is screwing them on the Atom chipsets as well with pricing.

I agree with you that Nvidia has had their share of problems with rebadging old cards but they have done nothing to deserve the anti-competitive practice from Intel. BTW, I am not an Nvidia fanboy just trying to explain this without any bias. Regardless of how bad the last couple of Nvidia chipsets were, less competition only hurts consumers. Look at how long Intel is taking to implement USB 3 and SATA 6 gbps on their motherboards.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Interesting to see this sort of thing... Perhaps it could turn out to be good, if nVidia keeps the site honest, and full of fact-checked statements, rather than adopting a "the way it's meant to be claimed" stance. If so, that sort of press could help their court case, by also helping people get behind them; I feel that being honest in their claims would create more substantial support than lies, since the latter could be prone to collapse and backlash.

[citation][nom]macadami[/nom]Wow what a conundrum.....support AMD by buying a 5800 series card, or wait for fermi based card and support AMD by buying a card made by a rival that is against AMD's main competition...My enemy's enemy is still my enemy?[/citation]
If you make your purchase decisions on who they go AGAINST, you have too much time on your hands. But I guess it's the way things are; we vote against what we don't like, rather than for what we do.

(in short: buy whichever's the better product, duh)

@trust, it depends how the agreement was written, its possible that it was written in such a way that intel could keep that tech from them (making it impossible to make a chipset)

though NV also shot themselves in the foot by making less chipsets to work with AMD processors

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
If Nvidia loses we all lose it's as simple as that less competition and anti competitive behavior hurts consumers period it's as simple as that. I'm surprised Via doesn't sue Intel as well for the anti competitive behavior as well as I'm certain it must have hurt them some as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.