Nvidia Launches Two Tweak Guides for Skyrim

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcb82

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Thats what I love about PC gaming, zillions of ways to tweak and get the most out of your unique hardware.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]aevm[/nom]How about AMD, did they make a guide for their cards too?[/citation]

It took them 3 weeks just to get the beta crossfire drivers released. They're not gonna release any guide.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Nice that Nvidia is providing the guides. Getting the maximum performance out of a video card is tricky on the PC with the number of GPUs/CPUs/RAM types.

On the Xbox360 the game looked great but the gameplay wasn't. The AI has really horrible navigation issues. Lots of opponents get stuck on edges or behind small movable objects. Managed to fall out of the map by climbing the wall at the end of the Southfringe Sanctum. On the other hand, blasting dragon corpses 1000s of yards over mountains with a fireball is fun.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jcb82[/nom]Thats what I love about PC gaming, zillions of ways to tweak and get the most out of your unique hardware.[/citation]

personally, i just wish every game just worked right the moment i put it in.

i mean feed the game what i have. than give me the options and show me a projected fps.

do i want the best graphics
do i want better graphics than my card can handle fast
do i want the best at 30fps
do i want 60fps
do i want the lowest setting so i can go really really fast...

and im not really talking about dumbing the graphics interface down, what im talking about is a game developer should have certain presets for each card... it cant be that much work, you more or less know how cards preform, make the game know what would look best at certain frame rates...

i hate how when im given the choice, how every time my graphics settings are put to mid range, when i have yet to play a game that i couldn't max on my 5770 at 1920x1200 with shadows turned off, and no aa. (i dont have battle field 3 but that is one, and if you don't have a retardedly far draw disntacen in skyrim, you can basicly max that too)

i mean look at the toms Hierarchy chart. i had a 6800 ultra and oblivion played like crap on it, so lets assume thats the minimum.

that would be about 17 graphic levels pre tweaked for your gaming experience, and they know better than anyone what their engine can do, do you don't spend an hour or so figuring out what is the best you can play at and still get decent frame rates.

games not working 100% of the time, and the initial tweak is probably the only two things i don't like about gaming on the pc.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Even if the game developer could take into consideration some graphic cards, they could not account for all the different hardrive, ssd, CPU, motherboard, drivers, etc... that people might be using. An Xbox 360 and a PS3 are constants. It is difficult to program for all the possible PC configurations people might have. I don't mind making some tweaks to get the game running the way I want it to on my machine.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]games not working 100% of the time, and the initial tweak is probably the only two things i don't like about gaming on the pc.[/citation]

You make it seem like gaming on a PC is way more complicated. There are really only two additional steps to game on a PC.
1. Install the game. I don't get what's to complain about this. You basically push the "next button" 6 times.
2. Adjust image quality. Usually either low, medium, high, and ultra.

That's really all you need to do differently. Its really not that different and I don't see it as something to complain about.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]celpas[/nom]Already releasedhttp://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Gu [...] weak-guideIn fact there are 2 more on the site but they are related to beta.NVIDIA FTW[/citation]
Ah thanks. Hope it helps stop it from crashing the way it has been since the patch, though i doubt.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
[citation][nom]jcb82[/nom]Thats what I love about PC gaming, zillions of ways to tweak and get the most out of your unique hardware.[/citation]

that's also a minus when it comes to PC gaming...

ZILLIONS of tweaks for each and every unique hardware...

with consoles, you just play...mostly....

but with PC, there can be so many things that can go wrong...and some people don't like to or have the knowledge to "tweak" settings...

as a person who loves computing, electronics, and gadgets, PC gaming is "superior" than console games but I can see merits of having only ONE hardware to deal with....

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Well done NVIDIA. Can't help but think AMD needs to divert a little more resources into developing similar guides, perhaps even employing the help of enthusiast gamers.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]that's also a minus when it comes to PC gaming...ZILLIONS of tweaks for each and every unique hardware...with consoles, you just play...mostly....but with PC, there can be so many things that can go wrong...and some people don't like to or have the knowledge to "tweak" settings...as a person who loves computing, electronics, and gadgets, PC gaming is "superior" than console games but I can see merits of having only ONE hardware to deal with....[/citation]

You make me laugh, if you just want to play then install the game and play and if you can't even handle that well i guess no hardware in the universe is stupidified enough for your "needs". What the PC version offer is the possibility to tweak if you like meaning you get a CHOOICE rather than just play on the standard settings. The only merit of one ancient console design (by todays pc gaming standards) is that the devs can be lazy and settle for poor to medicre image quality (at best) and still get away with it! The PC's DX API's makes development easy and scalling is not as hard as it used to be especially not compared to back in the days when you had to code a specific path for each 3d chip.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007

wardler

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]that's also a minus when it comes to PC gaming...ZILLIONS of tweaks for each and every unique hardware...with consoles, you just play...mostly....but with PC, there can be so many things that can go wrong...and some people don't like to or have the knowledge to "tweak" settings...as a person who loves computing, electronics, and gadgets, PC gaming is "superior" than console games but I can see merits of having only ONE hardware to deal with....[/citation]
The merit for a crappier graphical experience.
The merit of longer load times.
The merit of using a controller with a very limited number of inputs.
The merit of using an analog stick instead of a mouse.
The merit of having glitches that you can't tweak to fix.
The only real merit for console gaming is that it's cheaper. Unless you include a decent high def television.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]celpas[/nom]Already releasedhttp://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Gu [...] weak-guideIn fact there are 2 more on the site but they are related to beta.NVIDIA FTW[/citation]
Interesting fact i found in the guide. It seems that the Ultra textures setting wants 500MB of VRAM for itself. And the dude says that the Ultra preset has GPUs with around 1.5 GB VRAM in mind.

Time to redo that 6950 1GB vs 2GB article, i guess?

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]wardler[/nom]The only real merit for console gaming is that it's cheaper. Unless you include a decent high def television.[/citation]
Well, you have to buy a decent high def television/monitor for PC gaming too, so that point is irrelevant.

You kids can debate on PC vs. consoles all you want, as a gamer who's been around since the Commodore 64, I can assure you PC and consoles will always coexist. For me, it's a matter of genre. I enjoy action, driving and sports game on console while I play FPS and RPG on my PC.

I'll admit that tweaking a game in order to have the best graphics at a smooth framerate is starting to bum me off. The little time I have for gaming these days, I want to actually play a game rather than tweak it. Still, I find that most games handle automatic settings based on hardware pretty well.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
backward flying dragons, duplicate stable master with one stuck half-way into the ground, random crash to desktop, and other fantastic bugs awaits you in the world of skyrim! also, this guide is a massive advertisement for nvidia. it gets mentioned like every other sentence. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.