News Nvidia Maintains Dominance as Sales of Graphics Cards Hit All-Time Low in 2022: JPR

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
The in UK prices are not so great.

AMD RX 7900 XTX £1049.99-£1299.95
AMD RX 7900 XTX £799.99 - £1049.99

Nvidia 4090 £1699.99 - £2399.99
Nvidia 4080 £1189.99 - 1699.99

I just want some sanity to return to the GPU market, current prices are just far to high.

For the price they are just not worth it.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
The in UK prices are not so great.

I just want some sanity to return to the GPU market, current prices are just far to high.

For the price they are just not worth it.
If you want sanity to return, then don't buy it. It's the same idea when it came to the scalpers. Let them sit on their inventory. If it's true that the RTX 4090 is selling very well, that will just encourage Nvidia to maiintain and or increase prices in the future.

People complain that Apple is greedy by raising prices on their iPhones, it just encourages Apple to keep doing it when sales aren't that much different as prices go higher.

AlskiOnTheWeb

Prominent
Mar 4, 2023
After having the manufacturers effectively be complicit in the gouging schemes of the past few years, they are reaping what they sewed. Tell them to peddle their crapware to the miners that they catered to for those years. I for one will never buy another discrete graphics card ever again. Never.

Giroro

Splendid
My newest video rendering/streaming box is an "Intel inside 12th gen N95" mini PC. It starts at $150, and I bought it specifically for it's bare-minimum iGPU.
"Intel inside 12th gen N95" is sorta like the newest lowest end Alder lake celeron or Atom CPU with any kind of real availability.

I did this, because despite already having all the parts I need to put together a much better PC (except for a case and a GPU) I'd rather bake a potato than put up with AMD's junk encoders and Nvidias "only gamers buy GPUs, and all gamers are dumb little kids" attitude.
Also, nobody's made a low profile A380 yet, so Intel is still leaving all of their dGPU money on the table.

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
If you want sanity to return, then don't buy it. It's the same idea when it came to the scalpers. Let them sit on their inventory. If it's true that the RTX 4090 is selling very well, that will just encourage Nvidia to maiintain and or increase prices in the future.

People complain that Apple is greedy by raising prices on their iPhones, it just encourages Apple to keep doing it when sales aren't that much different as prices go higher.

I've not which is why I'm still using a 970.

criticaloftom

Prominent
Jun 14, 2022
they have to start getting more competitive because we are fast approaching a tipping point where on board graphics are simply good enough for most common gaming needs at full hd.
Sure you can get 240hz displays or 4k ones, but to have the basic gaming experience fullhd is the benchmark to hit. lower res than that is noticeable lower refresh than 60 is noticeable; 120 even though or 4k is kind of a meh difference. There is simply not enough pressure on the consumer to make badly priced GPU deals; and if you could cut them out all together for power efficiency, system cooling simplicity and install size why wouldn't you.
The obvious answer all this time has been performance and you can tell AMD knows this as with the scaling back of vega graphics from what at the height was 11 on an apu to 2.
Consumers know manufacturers are trying to hold their cards close to their chest pun intended.

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
Everyone concentrates on GPU sales but the fact of the matter is all desktop PC sales are down and GPUs aren't really any worse off than everything else. It was a predictable decline because of Covid just like the decline in PC sales in 2000 and 2001 was predictable because of Y2K ..... In both cases sales of product was high in proceeding years. In 1998 and 1999 everyone blew their wads because of Y2K and weren't buying in 2000 and 2001 .... Same thing for Covid people blew their wads in 2020 and 2021 so they weren't buying in 2022 and likely this will carry over into 2023. However with the GPT Ai boom this year both Nvidia and AMD will make out just fine, Nvidia selling pro GPUs (A100 and H100) and AMD selling pro CPUs (Epyc)

prtskg

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2015
they have to start getting more competitive because we are fast approaching a tipping point where on board graphics are simply good enough for most common gaming needs at full hd.
Sure you can get 240hz displays or 4k ones, but to have the basic gaming experience fullhd is the benchmark to hit. lower res than that is noticeable lower refresh than 60 is noticeable; 120 even though or 4k is kind of a meh difference. There is simply not enough pressure on the consumer to make badly priced GPU deals; and if you could cut them out all together for power efficiency, system cooling simplicity and install size why wouldn't you.
The obvious answer all this time has been performance and you can tell AMD knows this as with the scaling back of vega graphics from what at the height was 11 on an apu to 2.
Consumers know manufacturers are trying to hold their cards close to their chest pun intended.
AMD is using 2cu GPU in CPUs which earlier (in AM4) had no GPU. For apu, (Phoenix) 12cu is present for highest performance models.

Apr 24, 2023
The sales charts are cool, but there's an implication that it is strictly system integrators, not separate retail GPUs. Is there any way to separate the two markets? I'm curious if the boxed, retail GPU channel is actually significant once you get away from "halo" cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS