Nvidia Making Millions From Sale of Google's Nexus 7 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

killabanks

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
sounds good maybe now they can improve the gpu drastically for tegra 4.. sad to believe that imagion with their power vr is whopping the mighty nvidia's butt

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Tegra 3 is all marketing and hype. it can barely keep with snapdragon S4 and exynos quad.
Again nvidia is promoting this "console quality gaming" bullshit, and paying off developers for exclusive stuff.

OMG 12 COAR GPU!!! ..... yet it's not a match for the 4 core mali400mp and the 2 core SGX543.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
You know, if AMD/ATI actually tried to compete instead of throwing in the towel, they might actually be able to make some money in the mobile sector. Anyways, I'm glad to see Nvidia doing well. Personally, I'm holding out for the Nexus 10 (10" screen).

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
The Galaxy Note 10.1 will probably the one that will be irresistible. I am saving my pennies for that one. I may be just daydreaming, but how cool it would be if it had an OLED display ?

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
$25? The processor chip is usually the most expensive hardware. Then why are most tablets going for $300-400...profits. Grant R&D, but tablets aren't a new thing. And we all know labor cost in china is slow low that it is a joke. Grant this pale compared to apple's differential.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]Tegra 3 is all marketing and hype. it can barely keep with snapdragon S4 and exynos quad.Again nvidia is promoting this "console quality gaming" bullshit, and paying off developers for exclusive stuff.OMG 12 COAR GPU!!! ..... yet it's not a match for the 4 core mali400mp and the 2 core SGX543.[/citation]

Not sure why you got thumbed down so bad, it's actually correct AFAIK
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5688/apple-ipad-2012-review/15

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]doron[/nom]Not sure why you got thumbed down so bad, it's actually correct AFAIKhttp://www.anandtech.com/show/5688 [...] -review/15[/citation]

Agreed. People should really do some research and know the facts before expressing an opinion on matters that they clearly know little about. What gets me though is at least 19 people voted you down but not one of them could be bothered to say why your wrong, lol.

If you think Tegra 3 is slow compared to Snapdragon you should look at the performance difference between Tegra and at PowerVR's British designed latest and greatest mobile graphics chip SGX 545MP4. Google must know something that we don't and believe Nvidia are going to drastically catch up with the competition in the near future because otherwise I do wonder why Google continues buying Tegra based chips when clearly there's much better performing chips around.

On the more positive side Tegra does seem offer much better image quality then SGX but the games that can show off Tegra are few and far between because there just isn't enough Tegra based devices out their to justify coding software for a single chip.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Coz NVIDIA, Apple, Intel and Microsoft fanboys are generally brainless.[/citation]
define brainless....please do

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]Agreed. People should really do some research and know the facts before expressing an opinion on matters that they clearly know little about. What gets me though is at least 19 people voted you down but not one of them could be bothered to say why your wrong, lol. If you think Tegra 3 is slow compared to Snapdragon you should look at the performance difference between Tegra and at PowerVR's British designed latest and greatest mobile graphics chip SGX 545MP4. Google must know something that we don't and believe Nvidia are going to drastically catch up with the competition in the near future because otherwise I do wonder why Google continues buying Tegra based chips when clearly there's much better performing chips around.On the more positive side Tegra does seem offer much better image quality then SGX but the games that can show off Tegra are few and far between because there just isn't enough Tegra based devices out their to justify coding software for a single chip.[/citation]

its all in the way they worded it, come in factually and go point by point.
discrediting a chip by saying its all marketing hype, while the tegra 3 is a chip i believe anyone can use, and according to that 1 page of benchmarks, is the best non apple chip available, all that while being able to push a slightly higher than 720p resolution close to if not over 30fps. that is annoying.

than console quality, they are getting close, weather you want to believe it or not, they are getting very close to a console quality, and this is coming from a GPU MAKER, someones whos bread and butter comes from making crap pretty.

and than that caps lock little bit... yea... i know what it takes to get down vote, but wow, he may be right but wording it like that makes no one want to pay attention to you. really the only time i pull that crap is when its a gaming article and people want a tech demo instead of a game.

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]define brainless....please do[/citation]

Among others: Reacting to keywords rather than content.

meltbox360

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
[citation][nom]jdog2pt0[/nom]You know, if AMD/ATI actually tried to compete instead of throwing in the towel, they might actually be able to make some money in the mobile sector. Anyways, I'm glad to see Nvidia doing well. Personally, I'm holding out for the Nexus 10 (10" screen).[/citation]

I do believe that AMD is currently strongest in the mobile segment. You are referring to ultramobile. Laptop vs smartphone/tablet. They are not doing so bad with laptops right now. Later this year they are supposed to release something for windows 8 tablets. Should be releasing very soon... I hope. Codename Hondo I believe. Nothing for smartphones though.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Wow so much hate... "12 cores vs 2 cores" "The mali xxyy is faster" "It can barely keep up with the xynos" "Why does google buy nVidia."

There are only two questions of importance when it comes to the SoC for a mobile device. Will it run 30+ FPS at its built in screen's native resolution under the most extreme load? How much power does it use?

Bragging rights that your Samsung's GPU is faster than my nexus's GPU? Can you actually see the difference? No, then who cares?

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

nVidia's Tegra 3 is cheap with a power saving design. Both of which are more important for Google in the Nexus 7 than overall performance. The Tegra 3 performs good enough to make it a snappy tablet (according to reviews I've read). Also it's an ASUS tablet and they bought the chip. Google just worked on the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.