Nvidia Making x86 CPU With Ex-Transmeta Brains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regected

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
We keep hearing about x86 CPUs coming from Nvidia, but nothing more of it. Consumers on the whole are losing as long as we are bound to this architecture/instruction set. Once Intel loses it's grip on our computer progress, we can see greater leaps and bounds in computers.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I like Nvidia boards but man they can get hot if you don't take precautions. I think a Nvidia CPU would require a double check on your house insurance for fire damage. Not trying to be a rain cloud but they need to worry about getting the 300 series out and leave CPU's to the experts.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Greg_77[/nom]More competition would be nice[/citation]

Yeah so its all good. I actually hope they do so but they better not start creating incompatibility issues, if they do so, with later on drivers with other companes "non intentionally" if you get my drift ...

I hope they do make a GOOD cpu that is at least on par with AMD on fpu on a per clock bases with good I/O then they would be great for business and gaming use. Please hoping for a multi socket desktop.

G

[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]I wonder if their next crop of GPU's will be able to emulate an x86 chip... if so, how fast would it run?[/citation]
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265251-28-emulate-cores

I posted a topic about that idea and everyone seemed to dismiss the idea. I still think it would be good on certain applications depending if the whole program could be decoded and executed. Much faster than only looking at 100-200 instructions of a 10,000 instruction program. Many more things could/should be programmed into a parallel mode of computation.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
As a system builder (for personal use) I really don't look forward to having to choose my cpu, gpu and chipset from a single manufacturer, I think this may actually be bad for competition in the long run. Inter-operability of various pieces of hardware is what a pc is all about. We had systems that were all integrated on one board, then they started to split in to compnent pieces and we have much more choice, now it looks like it may be going the other way... to my mind that is not progress

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
nvidia with x86 , amd with fusion and intel with larrabee are all going to a common product future period . heavyweight single threaded cores coupled with parallel arrays of cuda cores/shaders etc . all three can make chipsets , processors and graphics .

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]I wonder if their next crop of GPU's will be able to emulate an x86 chip... if so, how fast would it run?[/citation]

[citation][nom]shuffman37[/nom]http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] late-coresI posted a topic about that idea and everyone seemed to dismiss the idea. I still think it would be good on certain applications depending if the whole program could be decoded and executed. Much faster than only looking at 100-200 instructions of a 10,000 instruction program. Many more things could/should be programmed into a parallel mode of computation.[/citation]

gpu's would not emulate but assist with on die x86 silicon , is what's this is all about . amd has both , intel has both and nvidia needs its own x86 or similar capability in silicon . it can neither ask amd nor intel for this .

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]shuffman37[/nom]http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] late-coresI posted a topic about that idea and everyone seemed to dismiss the idea. I still think it would be good on certain applications depending if the whole program could be decoded and executed. Much faster than only looking at 100-200 instructions of a 10,000 instruction program. Many more things could/should be programmed into a parallel mode of computation.[/citation]

you cannot parallelize or emulate steps when the next one depends on the previous , like recursive calculations . and an softwate emulated pipeline if that's what you mean , would not run at practical speeds . adding to the above post , why emulate when you can co-operate with native on die x86 ?

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
At least Nvidia would be the one to give us USB 3.0... Intel and their overinflated pricing needs some competition shoved up their ass right about now.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Thumbs up for Nvidia not going with Via. Anyone selling Via trash I won't purchase. In house is the way to go. As I recall they recruited many x86 engineers. However do we really want to stay at x86 or am I mixed up or is it limited to 32bit rather than 64bit?

sot010174

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2004
I don't think Nvidia plans to fight Core I7's and Phenom 2 right off the bat. However they could debut with an Atom rival, coupling with an Ion "2" platform. I would bid farewell to my current EEE 1000hd in a heartbeat.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
They need to hurry if this is the case cause x86 will be on its way out as most computers are running 64 bit OS's out of the box

I wouldn't see much competition brought, because they are only limiting their options to 32 bit, the only way I can see this being affective is if they exceed or match the performance of Amd/Intel and be really really cheap, because why buy an x86 cpu when I can buy one that does x86 and x64.

I would not be surprised if we see Intel moving in a gaming GPU market then, and we can see all Intel/AMD/Nvidia based machines comping out.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Drag0nR1der[/nom]was kind of hoping this was about some kind of mutant bio x86 chip using ex Transmeta staff brains oh well[/citation]

oh God ! rofl ...

weilin

Distinguished
Just to clear something up, "x64" that was know it as is really an abbreviation. It's full designation is "x86-64" since it just extends Intel's "x86" IP. Thus one could make the case that when people refer to nVidia making a "x86" processor, they are referring to x86 and its extensions thus including x86-64 or x64.

Personally, if they are making a processor, given nVidia's tendency to go big or go home, I would be surprised if it's not x86-64 compliant.

However, There is still the issue of getting a x86 license from Intel and a "x86-64" license from AMD...

Status
Not open for further replies.