[SOLVED] Nvidia MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Super Gaming X 4GB vs. AMD XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy 8GB?

Jul 3, 2020
Which would you choose between a Nvidia MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Super Gaming X 4GB and an AMD XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy 8GB? The AMD has more RAM, they seem to be quite close in performance. Would be AMD be more future proof with the 8GB RAM? I stream on Twitch and I play a variety of games but mostly World of Warcraft.

The question is if my PSU can run the RX 590. I have a Be Quiet Straight Power CM E9 480W, I've checked the manual and it seems to deliver an ampage of 38 on the 12v rails which should do the trick if I'm not mistaken. I've put my specs in the Cooler Master PSU calc and according to it I should be ok. I'm using an i5-750 with an Asus P7P55D. The 1650 Super looks pretty great in the reviews I've seen. It seems to be running on low temps in most benchmarks so I think it should be easy to OC for even better performance.

Last edited:
Solution
More video RAM won't help you much in this class of card since they won't be able to really run at the higher resolution and detail settings that would require more RAM. I'd get a 1650 Super (technically I did recently, for my son's girlfriend's computer). The nVidia card is built on newer tech and is cooler and will use less power. The RX590 may be faster card in some cases but I would not buy that new over the 1650S, maybe used I would if money was an issue.
More video RAM won't help you much in this class of card since they won't be able to really run at the higher resolution and detail settings that would require more RAM. I'd get a 1650 Super (technically I did recently, for my son's girlfriend's computer). The nVidia card is built on newer tech and is cooler and will use less power. The RX590 may be faster card in some cases but I would not buy that new over the 1650S, maybe used I would if money was an issue.

Solution