Nvidia Now Shipping Tegra K1-Powered Jetson TK1

Status
Not open for further replies.

did you mean maxwell based Tegra? from the last year road map and to the latest road map nvidia expect tegra with maxwell core to show up in 2015. so if they can hit that time frame then there is no delay.

at the very least nvidia was clear about that. in the past nvidia has mention that they intend to use CUDA as their advantage over OpenCL.

icrf

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Did i miss what CPU cores are in the SoC? I imagine we're still waiting on Denver, so does that make this a quartet of A15s? I realize the GPU is the noteworthy part, but if the audio DAC gets a mention, the CPU can get a note, too.

allenpan

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
why do u want OpenCL when there is CUDA (yes I have experience with both CUDA & OpenCL for my Grad Project: Autonomous Robot using Kinect with GPGPU Assistance.

serious CUDA is much easier to troubleshoot and resource friendly!

David Whapham

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
This tiny little board is faster then every super computer that existed in the world before the year 1997 - and it costs less than $200.00. How awesome is that!

Frank Tizzle

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
did you mean maxwell based Tegra? from the last year road map and to the latest road map nvidia expect tegra with maxwell core to show up in 2015. so if they can hit that time frame then there is no delay.

I was merely being sardonic, knowing that 20nm Maxwell GPUs aren't until 2015.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
It's a nice little SoC. About 300 gigaflops, which is near what an Xbox 360 had. The newer Ardeno chips in the Snapdragon 801 are only at about 150 gigaflops, so this is a good incremental leap in mobile GPU power. The other chip right now sitting in the same arena is the Mali-760 (mp16), with about 326 gigaflops of GPU power. It's very nice to see so much power being put into these devices. I wouldn't call it a super-computer, but it is quite capable. In a year or so I can see us reaching teraflop mobile GPUs.

SirKnobsworth

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
why do u want OpenCL when there is CUDA (yes I have experience with both CUDA & OpenCL for my Grad Project: Autonomous Robot using Kinect with GPGPU Assistance.

serious CUDA is much easier to troubleshoot and resource friendly!

If you don't care about vendor lock, it's probably not an issue, but that's not always the case.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
So, my question is if I can take it, slap some storage on their, and use it as a streaming box for steam and what not? I would assume not as it uses an ARM correct?

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
So, my question is if I can take it, slap some storage on their, and use it as a streaming box for steam and what not? I would assume not as it uses an ARM correct?

not for steam but there's a high probability you'll be able to use Nvidia game stream, just like the Nvidia shield has. It all depends on whats on the Nvidia for Linux Build.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Where the hell is the K1 with dual-denver. This 32bit board of fail needs to be tossed in the incinerator.

Status
Not open for further replies.