[SOLVED] Nvidia now supports Adaptive sync(Freesync). Should i wait to buy a monitor till its better optimized?

rspringer4

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
Since a couple of days ago Nvidia started supporting Adaptive sync displays. I am currently gaming on a 1080p display that has no G-sync nor Freesync. I was planning on upgrading to 1440p 144hz. But because of the news that Nvidia started supporting Adaptive sync. I am doubting whether to save some money and go for freesync. or go all out with actual G-sync. My current display works fine on my 1070. And maybe im just blind but with V-sync on i don't really notice any tearing at all. I am currently using the 1080p 144hz Acer GN246HLBbid. I actually prefer 24 inch. Im thinking about buying a new monitor to pair with my current one to make a dual screen setup. Thing is two different monitors don't really look well together. I need some buying advice. What would you guys recommend? bigger single screen or smaller dual screens? G-sync? Freesync? No sync at all? I am kinda lost because of all the options.

Solution
Nvidia has always supported freesync monitors, just not the speed matching capabilities.
With GTX1xxx cards, you can use fast sync.
Here is an explanation:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13

My advice is to buy the larger monitor you really want.
Use your old monitor as a side monitor.
Yes, it might look strange, but it will work.
I have a 40" 4k monitor and use a 30" side monitor.
To save desk space, I orient the side monitor vertically.
Initially, it looked strange, but it saves desk space.

If you play fast action games, you may want a gaming monitor with a faster refresh rate.
Now, it seems that any disparities between the fps generating capability of the GTX1070 and...
Nvidia has always supported freesync monitors, just not the speed matching capabilities.
With GTX1xxx cards, you can use fast sync.
Here is an explanation:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13

My advice is to buy the larger monitor you really want.
Use your old monitor as a side monitor.
Yes, it might look strange, but it will work.
I have a 40" 4k monitor and use a 30" side monitor.
To save desk space, I orient the side monitor vertically.
Initially, it looked strange, but it saves desk space.

If you play fast action games, you may want a gaming monitor with a faster refresh rate.
Now, it seems that any disparities between the fps generating capability of the GTX1070 and the frame presentation rate of a fast monitor can be handled reasonably.

Solution