News Nvidia Offers Concessions in EU as Arm Deal Probe Extended

Jan 21, 2021
Why do monetary concessions sounds like "A bribe" to me? Can someone explain how this is not a bribe?

But surely we can trust a company who hands out bribes right?

This sounds exactly like a bribe. When I heard concessions I was expecting to hear promises to keep the businesses operating fairly separately, or contractual obligations to keep providing ARM IP to all existing customers without regards for how directly they might be competing with NVIDIA. I didn't expect to hear that NVIDIA is buying out the EU's regulatory authorities in addition to ARM. This is not ethical, and is the exact sort of behavior that regulatory bodies were intended to prevent.

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Why do monetary concessions sounds like "A bribe" to me? Can someone explain how this is not a bribe?

Not quite a bribe as a bribe is done in secret while this is being done in the open. Does make me wonder if this works how many others are going to want their "monetary concession" to make their objection go away.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

The industry doesn't like you using the word bribes. It's the cost of business.

The article doesn't say anything about cash payments. The UK's most powerful super computer is powered by 80 Nvidia DGX A100's. The "investment" could be "donating" updated hardware, or more nodes. Or maybe Nvidia will set up a 1-800 number the UK can call 24-7 for free tech support.

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
When I heard concessions I was expecting to hear promises to keep the businesses operating fairly separately, or contractual obligations to keep providing ARM IP to all existing customers without regards for how directly they might be competing with NVIDIA.

That's exactly what I initially thought, but I guess the only thing that they are conceding is some cash.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not seeing any mention of the $100 million investment in other reporting on these "concessions". Reuters specifically mentioned that the EU commission did not comment on what these concessions were. I'm curious where TH got that info.

Oops, looks like $100 million investment news came out a few months ago, I had only been looking for more recent articles.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS