Nvidia Offers PhysX, Apex Support for PlayStation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhm... So what?

It's not like it's going to add a lot to what HavoK currently does.

Besides, I'm VERY sure it will increase the overall console cost, so not such a good idea IMO.

Cheers!

nikolayivanov321

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
PhysX is kind of overrated IMO. A few extra effects like better looking cloth and smoke in exchange for a huge framerate dip? No thank you...

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]So basically NVidia is still giving the finger to PC users, but is allowing the playstations AMD chip to run physX.Thanks green team...[/citation]
+1 wtf nvidia

ikaz

Distinguished
lol yup pretty much nvidia know it would run fine on AMD but they block on purpose (though I can't really blame them since they did buy the orignal company). Though you would they think they would license it out to AMD while still accerate for Cuda. That way they could get a small amount of money from AMD on each card sold and that would allow more dev to use it.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]So basically NVidia is still giving the finger to PC users, but is allowing the playstations AMD chip to run physX.Thanks green team...[/citation]

my thoughts exactly this is HARD proof that there is no excuse for AMD chips to dip down to 15 fps when runnign physx in software even. Nvidia is obviously coding Physx to run like crap when AMD cards are detected. dirty dirty buisness.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]nikolayivanov321[/nom]PhysX is kind of overrated IMO. A few extra effects like better looking cloth and smoke in exchange for a huge framerate dip? No thank you...[/citation]

actually even when running physx in software if you are running an nvidia card the frame rates barely dip at all, as stated before it's when running an amd card on pc that physx drops frames majorly

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I really wish standalone physx cards had taken off. I would have one in my PC for sure.

Unfortunately they got snapped up and promptly gave the finger to anybody not willing to overpay by 50-100 dollars for a high end video card.

They offered to license it to AMD but were turned down because AMD were going to make Bullet physics the next big thing.

Actually it was able to be used by ATi at first but then an ex Nvidia employee who defected to the red team buggered that up for you.

[citation][nom]Mousemonkey[/nom]Actually it was able to be used by ATi at first but then an ex Nvidia employee who defected to the red team buggered that up for you.[/citation]
Hence the reason why I have a slight AMD bias. NVidias business practices are poor.

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Proof that nVidia is just blocking it on PC for AMD users, not that it NEEDS CUDA like they say. I really hate when companies do that kind of crap. AMD left their TressFX stuff open to all GPUs. They also have always allowed crossfire on all motherboards, unlike nVidia who requires licencing by the mfg.

jimmyjohnz

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Uhh, can't you run physx on your PC on your cpu? I seem to remember being able to activate it on on my 3570K/7850 setup in Borderlands 2.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
If Sony was smart whey would turn that offer down, especially with their past dealings with Nvidia. But it's Sony, who knows, they've been making horrible decisions left and right, that's why their entire company is on the brink of going belly up!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Mousemonkey[/nom]How is it poor business from Nvidia when it was ATi who decided that they didn't want to use it?[/citation]
it isnt poor business practices, but it also isnt AMDs fault of not using Physx. Nvidia bought Physx for themselves some years ago. they really dont have to share it with anybody. but as far as this decision of wanting to include physx in ps4, it seems kind of desperate of Nvidia. they were left out of this console gen(also reason I think they created shield) and they want to have at least some bragging rights in this gen.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Hey, this is good news for all of us pc users.
Some sly little programmer is going to come up with a hack to make PhysX run just as smooth on AMD cards as Nvidia cards once they get hold of those binaries!
Would I rather have a full version instead of a hack?
Yes!
But I take what I can get.

most likely it runs off of the CPU rather than the GPU. Most games that support Physx can run it on the CPU just fine even if you are on an AMD card... convincing the game to let you do it may be an entirely other matter, but the option is generally there if you look hard enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.