Nvidia Officially Prices and Dates (Project) Shield Handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

cepheid

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
So for almost the cost of a next-gen console I can have a worthless system that runs Jelly Bean? Yeah........ok Nvidia.............

ragenalien

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I was completely on track to purchase one for $200 or maybe $250. Not even going to consider it for this price, sorry Nvidia, you lost most of your market here already.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
It's unfortunate that they're asking so much for this device, especially when the streaming feature will only work with their already-overpriced Kepler cards. Pairing this with a weak GTX 660 will put you at over $550 for a 5" 720p screen to play your games on. For that same $550 you could get a GTX 670 a 24" 1080p monitor and enjoy your games The Way It's Meant to be Played™.
Nvidia needs to make this $100 cheaper and drop the price of the higher-end Kepler cards to the appropriate levels and they'll sell many more than they will at this price. I'm getting annoyed by Nvidia's increasing price gouging over the last year.

G

Guys, this thing has a lot of features modern(more expensive) phones have, it's got some features that they don't have, and doesn't have some that they do have, it is more powerful and comes with a controller. If you honestly expected this to ship at a lower price than $300, you're asking for quite a lot. $350 is a bit high for it IMO, but it's a product without much competition.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
My understanding is that you would have to be in a certain proximity (as with all wireless devices) to your PC. That being said, if I wanted to play PC games with a controller, I'd use an xbox adapter/controller and hook the PC up to a large screen HDTV and play from the comfort of my sofa or bed (akin to a regular gaming console). Why would I pay $300 more to stare at a 5" screen within 18" of my eyes in addition to the headaches of bugs associated with a post-beta device?

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
A project that makes little sense, with a price that makes next to no sense, from a company whose recent decisions seem to make less and less sense in general. What is going on at Nvidia?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
not too sure where nvidias is going with this. for that price, Im pretty sure a vita is a better deal and more affordable. the only thing this has over the vita is the full os and play store. to say the vita is dying wouldnt be all that right since the release of the ps4 will undoubtably increase vita sales exponentially. I know that if I buy a ps4, Id consider getting a vita to keep the little rascals away from the tv when theyre over. I just cant consider getting this at this price, especially since I have no nvidia gpu.

CaptnYesterday

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
So... for this price I can stream the good titles from my PC which is in the next room and attached to an awesome 1080p monitor. Oh wait, no i can't because I have an HD 5870.
Sweet deal. I'm gonna get 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.