Nvidia Officially Unveils the Shield Tablet and Shield Controller

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'd love to get one of these to replace my 3rd gen iPad. But first need to replace my 5 years old gaming dekstop. Maybe around 2016, I will look into shield.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Ehh a $300 windows tablet [removed] all over this in both gaming and productivity. I'm sorry but what lemming would buy this? Hell Steam lets you stream for free using Nvidia AND AMD cards...

Watch the language. - G

suture

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Sigh.. nvidia really know how to charge their customer more money. Separating the screen and the gamepad, into a tablet and wireless gamepad then sell it separately. I mean what's the use of having a overpowered tablet just to play Android games? Or playing optimized game on touchscreen or streaming pc game from touchscreen? The experience will be less enjoyable playing on touchscreen than with gamepad (imagine if your favorite pc game IS an fps lol). Wasn't the Shield was suppose to be a device that let's you game/stream pc game anywhere? Now, even after you buy the gamepad, you still need to adjust/position/put the damn tablet somewhere so you can use it as a screen to game on, that means limiting the way you can play/stream pc game compared to previous model (the portable one). If they provide me the ability to game/stream pc game from anywhere in the world (via internet as done by Tom's), I want to do it literally anywhere and anyway I can, be it sitting, leaning, laying down, walking, etc etc. This new form factor destroy that freedom completely and the wifi only models makes playing from anywhere in the world limited into just your home network wifi or any place that has wifi. Remember the joke on original Shield? "Now I can play pc game while taking a dump on bathroom (or something similar)" No, duh! You have to put the tablet first so that you can use it as a screen then play or bear the awkward experience to play on touchscreen; that also limiting people with small bathroom with no place to position the tablet. The point is, it will be limited to your surrounding to achieve comfortableness or bear with touchscreen or just playing android games, meanwhile you can do it more freely with the previous generation. I still think it's better to upgrade the previous gen Shield with today spec. You can argue tablet increase productivity, but it is a gaming product, intended for gaming, and only so much productivity you can do on Android tablet compared to a Windows tablet. Razer Edge looks attractive right now in terms of portable gaming tablet and productivity combined.

Well you are right, razer edge seems more attractive, but its not really a "tablet" per se, its more like a mini laptop in the body of a tablet, and that creates some problems, one of them is the price tag of 1000 dollars.

Yes i would like to run pc games on tablets like shield
No i dont like game streaming, in fact as a fighting game fan, i abolish anything remotely close to game streaming.
No, i dont want windows on a touchscreen tablet, not yet anyways, i like windows 8.1 on desktops but in a tablet no thanks, imo its not yet ready for that.

You are saying "nvidia really know how to charge their customer more money." well if you want all every single extra of the shield up and running.. yes its expensive.. gaming pc + controller + etc

But you are forgetting the important thing, this shield tablet is in fact THE MOST insanely powerfull android tablet in the market and with the price tag of 300 dollars.
And with ALOT OF EXTRAS, the stylus and is one of them, and i might get some serious use of it.

g-unit1111

Titan

The desktop isn't going anywhere. What is going away is the need for pre-built desktops. The DIY market has taken off and grown exponentially in the last few years, big box vendors like Dell, Gateway, HP - that is what is going away. And they're scared and they know it, and that's why articles like that show up on non tech websites. Why pay HP $800 for sub par hardware and cheap power supplies when you can build one yourself and not have to worry about the PSU blowing up or your motherboard not handling the latest GPUs?

The ones who think desktops are going away and going to be replaced by tablets and cell phones - are the people who are either extremely tech illiterate, or don't know what they are talking about.

g-unit1111

Titan

Seriously the specs of this thing are very drool worthy - if EVGA or PNY could offer models for like $60 less than the NVIDIA model, they have my money.

suture

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Sigh.. nvidia really know how to charge their customer more money. Separating the screen and the gamepad, into a tablet and wireless gamepad then sell it separately. I mean what's the use of having a overpowered tablet just to play Android games? Or playing optimized game on touchscreen or streaming pc game from touchscreen? The experience will be less enjoyable playing on touchscreen than with gamepad (imagine if your favorite pc game IS an fps lol). Wasn't the Shield was suppose to be a device that let's you game/stream pc game anywhere? Now, even after you buy the gamepad, you still need to adjust/position/put the damn tablet somewhere so you can use it as a screen to game on, that means limiting the way you can play/stream pc game compared to previous model (the portable one). If they provide me the ability to game/stream pc game from anywhere in the world (via internet as done by Tom's), I want to do it literally anywhere and anyway I can, be it sitting, leaning, laying down, walking, etc etc. This new form factor destroy that freedom completely and the wifi only models makes playing from anywhere in the world limited into just your home network wifi or any place that has wifi. Remember the joke on original Shield? "Now I can play pc game while taking a dump on bathroom (or something similar)" No, duh! You have to put the tablet first so that you can use it as a screen then play or bear the awkward experience to play on touchscreen; that also limiting people with small bathroom with no place to position the tablet. The point is, it will be limited to your surrounding to achieve comfortableness or bear with touchscreen or just playing android games, meanwhile you can do it more freely with the previous generation. I still think it's better to upgrade the previous gen Shield with today spec. You can argue tablet increase productivity, but it is a gaming product, intended for gaming, and only so much productivity you can do on Android tablet compared to a Windows tablet. Razer Edge looks attractive right now in terms of portable gaming tablet and productivity combined.

Well you are right, razer edge seems more attractive, but its not really a "tablet" per se, its more like a mini laptop in the body of a tablet, and that creates some problems, one of them is the price tag of 1000 dollars.

Yes i would like to run pc games on tablets like shield
No i dont like game streaming, in fact as a fighting game fan, i abolish anything remotely close to game streaming.
No, i dont want windows on a touchscreen tablet, not yet anyways, i like windows 8.1 on desktops but in a tablet no thanks, imo its not yet ready for that.

You are saying "nvidia really know how to charge their customer more money." well if you want all every single extra of the shield up and running.. yes its expensive.. gaming pc + controller + etc

But you are forgetting the important thing, this shield tablet is in fact THE MOST insanely powerfull android tablet in the market and with the price tag of 300 dollars.
And with ALOT OF EXTRAS, the stylus and is one of them, and i might get some serious use of it.

InvalidError

Titan

The enthusiast market may have grown somewhat but it still represents only a tiny piece of the market. Pre-built systems are not going away but the landscape is shifting from desktops to AIOs and laptops. Nettops, chromebooks, tablets and other non-(traditional-)PCs, practically all of which pre-built, will also continue growing with people who are not ball-and-chained to traditional PCs or just want something different.

I expect the prebuilt to remain alive and well for the foreseeable future... particularly with all the System-in-Socket/System-on-Chip PC platforms coming out from AMD and Intel lately. Since Intel originally intended Broadwell mainly as a mobile/embedded CPU, I would expect a flood of new AiOs, laptops, tablet-PCs, etc. after it launches.

acasel

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Take that Samsung! You Charge too much for your tablets. With Price/Performance this good compared with Tab S.

My other thoughts to the shield's is the battery life....

Im an amd guy but certainly this is a stepping stone for mobile gaming platform!

sharkyh20

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Wow, this looks like a great upgrade to my 2012 Nexus 7. Just crossing my fingers that the Australian price r*ping isn't too bad.

mikitd

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
just FYI: In compare table on the first page there is info about dsplay 1920x1080 (283 PPI) and later in the text 1920x1200 (283 PPI) (which is probably correct).

G

I have a Shield, I guess a Shield Portable now as it's called... I've been using Grid since the day it became available. Funny I never realized Iowa was in Northern CA. Don't believe everything you read...I don't. And because of that, I've been enjoying Grid for months now...

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
1. I want a Shield, not a Shield tablet, with the K1 architecture. Its what I've been waiting for. I'd rather have the smaller screen and make it part of an all in one handheld then try and balance a tablet somewhere and use a separate bluetooth controller
2. I love the look of the Shield controller, my god I'd use one of those in a heartbeat on my PC.
3. Tablets are fun little toys, but really don't have the flexibility a laptop or desktop does. I love mine for reading, casual surfing, reading (but not responding to) emails and a few touch games

But hey, as someone with a Maxwell based GPU in their PC, great move taking it to tablets. I'm just disappointed its not going to be a Shield handheld redux.

heydan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I think the idea of a tablet/controller device removes all the "portable" idea from these kind of devices, how you´re gonna play for example sitting in a chair (without any table) or maybe lying in bed, in the car/bus, walking?, I like a lot the streaming functionality but other than that is not anymore a portable gaming device, sorry fan boys but I don´t like it

InvalidError

Titan

I'm sure there will be someone making some sort of bracket to put the two together if something of the sort is not already planned for a tablet+gamepad+bracket or gamepad+bracket bundle.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

GameVice and GameGrip are two tablet controller attachments that are being talked about a lot on the Nvidia forums.
GameVice should be out for android within the next month or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.