Nvidia optimus - GTX765M cannot be found and drivers cannot be installed on new Windows install

GTVS

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
So basically I had to format the drive due to a big issue which isn't important (needed one anyway) so I've formatted the drive and installed the drivers... all except the Nvidia graphics card which isn't even found on GPU-Z. It's a Clevo W230ST.

I have no clue what to do, when I run the driver it says the card was not found in the system. Anybody know how to get Nvidia optimus back and my graphics card back? It's only using the intergrated one at the moment...

I've used the drivers that came on the Clevo disk and installed them in order, but the Nvidia one just won't install and I don't know what to do.

http://i.imgur.com/jXg8Txe.png

Eggz

Distinguished
You need to do a driver sweep. Use driver sweeper, and let it take you into safe mode so it can get everything. Download it here: http://www.guru3d.com/files_get/display_driver_uninstaller_download,9.html

Remove Nvidia everything, checking all the boxes for removal. Then do the same thing for Intel display drivers as well (don't go crazy and manually remove Intel drivers, just Intel display drivers using the program linked above). After that (it will take a few restarts), you should be able to install the Nvidia drivers.

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
You don't need to download a bunch of software just to find the driver. Just type devmgmt.msc and go to where the ? is under you video adapter, right click on it go to properties, go to the details tab, after that go to where it says property, and then click on the box below that and go to compatible ids. After that click on the first one and hit copy, and then go to google and paste that information in, and then simply add driver download to the end of it and search

GTVS

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
But I don't have any Nvidia drivers on it at all, I can't even run them because of the issue... I will try removing the intel ones I guess... but what would that achieve?

GTVS

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014

That is not the problem I have at all, I have the correct driver, in fact I have the correct driver twice (2 versions) and the card cannot be detected. The issue is I can't get the pc to recognise there is an Nvidia GPU to install the driver onto, it only thinks there is just an Intel HD 4600 and I dunno how to make it know the Nvidia one is there too.

Eggz

Distinguished
Using Driver Sweeper removes traces of drivers that don't show up in the normal areas. It completely gets rid of them, which will remove strange issues like you're seeing in many cases. Just try removing the Nvidia stuff and Intel stuff just to rule it out. I recommended this because I had the same error last week when installing a new card and installing the drivers. I started the driver installation process, and it didn't work. But apparently something started to install, and it just messed up. From then on, it was blocked to install. Driver sweeper removed it, and I was able to move forward. Also, simply resetting can clear up stuff like this. Try the simple stuff first, man. It sucks to go too far down the wrong path just to find out there was an easy solution after wasting a whole day.

GTVS

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
It tells me there is a GTX765M and Intel HD 4600 in it which means the GPU is being recognised. I ran it, and it made it go onto the default driver. From there I managed to open GPU-Z and it DID recognize the GPU was there unlike now BUT when I ran the installed it did a Windows 8 blue screen error and reset itself. Now it's back on the driver for Intel automatically returned, so I am back to square 1.

GTVS

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
Just like to say - this is an issue that has come after a full FORMAT of the HDD and a new windows install, there is no traces of drivers on the PC, I simply do not know how to make optimus work.

GTVS

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
DDU Version: 12.6.2
Detected GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M
Detected GPU : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Detected Driver(s) Version(s) : 10.18.10.3412
Detected Driver(s) Version(s) : 9.18.13.2702

This is all I got

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
Just type devmgmt.msc and go to where the ? is under you video adapter, right click on it go to properties, go to the details tab, after that go to where it says property, and then click on the box below that and go to compatible ids. After that click on the first one and hit copy

GTVS

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
I have the laptop manafacturers drivers right here

this time I have completely lost the dedicated GPU, so I have no idea at all.

Even before this there was no ? under the video adapter. There was some mysterious PCI device it found in other devices but that disappeared as I installed all the other drivers so I guess it wasn't the GPU. I'm lost here. I have no idea why this is so hard.

GTVS

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
DDU Version: 12.6.2
Detected GPU : Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Detected Driver(s) Version(s) : 6.3.9600.16384

All I got now and I don't know why because I did nothing different this time and it gave me a different result!

So I've actually gone backwards... at least before I could see the GPU was there, now the PC fails to even acknowledge it's existence... damn.

GTVS

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
Well... I didn't disable it lets put it that way... and it was at least in the list only moments ago until I cleared the driver off of the intel for the second time and it disappeared.

GTVS

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
Now the PC automatically reinstalled the Intel GPU. I'm sorry I just have no clue, at least before I thought I could try install the Nvidia driver before the intel while it recognised it but now even when the Intel one has no driver the Nvidia card is nowhere to be seen...

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
what I would probably do is contact the manufacture of the laptop and nvidia to see if they have a good solution for you. I really can only tell you what I read on the web about the issue. But I think the manufacture might know maybe something that someone hasn't published yet.