Nvidia Owning Top Supercomputers List With GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKKBB

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I think AMD really dropped the ball with this one. They have great GPU products, but they let NVIDIA's CUDA take foot hold while largely depending on OpenCL. It will take some time before OpenCL catches up to CUDA; there are a number of compilers that have CUDA optimizations (e.g. Portland). With that said, the one thing that GPUs are still lacking is error checking in their memmory. There are many HPC applications that require this. I look forward to the day that ECC comes to GPUs. My 2.5 cents.

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]"having 7,168 GPUs"Are those in one giant daisy-chained SLI mode??[/citation]

Most (but not all) of the supercomputers on the "Top 500" are a bunch of regular computers with low latency interconnects (like Infiniband). So there might be 1792 nodes with four GPU each, not sure if that's what is actually the case here but you get the idea.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]Mmm, actually HD5870 beats GTX480 in Crysis which is kind of hilarious.[/citation]
Which drivers, running which version of Crysis? At least in Crysis Warhead, I can't recall the HD5870 outperforming the GTX480 since the initial release drivers. At gamer quality, enthusiast shaders, and 4x AA, the GTX480 consistently outperforms the HD5870 at all tested resolutions, and in terms of minimum frame rates (extremely important in any fps) the gap widens significantly.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4008/nvidias-geforce-gtx-580/6

...so I'm not sure what performance figures you're referring to. It's probably a good idea to cite a source, or at least double check the benchmarks, before making a claim about supposed performance.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Which drivers, running which version of Crysis? At least in Crysis Warhead, I can't recall the HD5870 outperforming the GTX480 since the initial release drivers. At gamer quality, enthusiast shaders, and 4x AA, the GTX480 consistently outperforms the HD5870 at all tested resolutions, and in terms of minimum frame rates (extremely important in any fps) the gap widens significantly.http://www.anandtech.com/show/4008 [...] -gtx-580/6...so I'm not sure what performance figures you're referring to. It's probably a good idea to cite a source, or at least double check the benchmarks, before making a claim about supposed performance.[/citation]
It's the original Crysis where 5870 outperforms the 480.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]MrKKBB[/nom]With that said, the one thing that GPUs are still lacking is error checking in their memmory. There are many HPC applications that require this. I look forward to the day that ECC comes to GPUs. My 2.5 cents.[/citation]
I believe Fermi based Tesla and Quadro GPU's do enable ECC memory.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]MrKKBB[/nom]With that said, the one thing that GPUs are still lacking is error checking in their memmory. There are many HPC applications that require this. I look forward to the day that ECC comes to GPUs. My 2.5 cents.[/citation]
Like PCs ECC memory is usually for servers or very high end systems, and following that pattern Tesla GPUs (what these HPCs use) do have ECC memory.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
if nvidia can pull that off with a relatively low power consumption, I'd like to see what ATI could do (assuming they ever provide proper support for super-computing).

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Fokissed[/nom]It's the original Crysis where 5870 outperforms the 480.[/citation]
Okay, I see. I just haven't seen a review site include a benchmark for the original version of Crysis for a while now. Care to update me?

Status
Not open for further replies.