Nvidia: PhysX Works on Apple's iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]alvine[/nom]it be cool to plug your iphone/itouch to your pc and let that work on physix while you game![/citation]
Unless you're running a 686 class processor, I don't think it's going to help much.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
OOOh! PhysX on the iPhone. Big deal. I'm sure Crysis could work on iPhone too, although at low,low,low settings and with a horrible frame rate, but it could work.
As for plugging you're iPhone in to handle PhysX, I'm afraid you're missing the point. This is a software based solution and is not hardware based like on the Geforce 8, 9, and 200 cards. This is basically a PhysX middleware, or API, written for the iPhone so app and game designers can easily include PhysX instructions in their programs. This is actually very smart of NVIDIA since Intel is not only being docile with their acquired Havok physics technology, but will more than likely only target Havok towards Intel processor markets. By getting an early start with ARM processors through the iPhone NVIDIA is really solidifying PhysX as THE physics API to use.

my_name_is_earl

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Nice to know. iphone has so much potential as a gaming device. What ever the DS can do the iphone can do too if only the phone has enough horsepower and "system" memory to support big game.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
hmmm.... I thought I saw this news posted here in "PS3 Gets Physical with Nvidia" already... and umm... they actually quat the same words...>_>
"PhysX is available on the iPhone--running on the ARM processor core. This versatility is what is driving PhysX adoption across multiple platforms including consoles and PCs,"

Is ths kind of double posting?..;)

Just kidding... but yes.. it is true that this news has been included in the previous news by another author. This one just provide a little bite more detail...

FYI

crimsondynamics

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
[citation][nom]my_name_is_earl[/nom]Nice to know. iphone has so much potential as a gaming device. What ever the DS can do the iphone can do too if only the phone has enough horsepower and "system" memory to support big game.[/citation]

What are you talking about? The iPhone hardware is more powerful than the PSP, never mind the DS.

And about PhysX running on iPhone, that isn't too surprising as far as tech feats are concerned - I mean, you can install Linux on your battery-powered toothbrush nowadays.

If anything, this goes to show how far ahead Nvidia marketing is compared to ATI. You always hear PhysX in the news; what about Havok? Cuda gets much more media coverage compared to Stream. ATI seems to make one announcement per quarter and that's that. Nvidia marketing is far more proactive. I can see why Nvidia has the lion's share of the marketplace.

And yes, I own products from both camps, so no fanboyism here. I enjoy their products immensely. Just comparing their marketing departments and market share.

my_name_is_earl

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
[citation][nom]crimsondynamics[/nom]What are you talking about? The iPhone hardware is more powerful than the PSP, never mind the DS.And about PhysX running on iPhone, that isn't too surprising as far as tech feats are concerned - I mean, you can install Linux on your battery-powered toothbrush nowadays.If anything, this goes to show how far ahead Nvidia marketing is compared to ATI. You always hear PhysX in the news; what about Havok? Cuda gets much more media coverage compared to Stream. ATI seems to make one announcement per quarter and that's that. Nvidia marketing is far more proactive. I can see why Nvidia has the lion's share of the marketplace.And yes, I own products from both camps, so no fanboyism here. I enjoy their products immensely. Just comparing their marketing departments and market share.[/citation]

I have an non-jailbreaking iphone 3G and some game is still crash from time to time and scrolling in game such as Sim City is slow. The PSP and DS can play all their game without being such a whiner. I know it's much powerful but as a dedicated gaming devices it's not that powerful. I have both the DS/PSP so I'm a living prof of my statement.

TheFace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Whats interesting is that there must not be anything but software programming that is holding nVidia back from licensing this to ATi/AMD. It's just one thing that they can hold over them. I understand it as a business move, but I think it holds back PhysX development overall.

zaakiy

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Marketing Hype. A year and a half ago, before NVidia's acquisition of Physx, I tried running a demo on my Core 2 Duo laptop. Note: this wan't a game, this was simply an exploding single-colour 3D cube.

Result: 1-2 frames per second (256MB NVidia Quadro 1500M on HP NW9440 laptop).

Now they are trying to tell us that Physx will run on the iPhone? They may be 100% correct, because what nVidia are NOT telling us is that it will run like an absolute dog, and the procesing power required will probably zap your iPhone battery in 10-20 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.