Nvidia Promises Tegra 3 Smartphones Before End of March

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitey_rolls1984

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Makes complete sense to me why the sales of Tegra chips are down. You release the Tegra 3 in November and it's a fairly substantial improvement over Tegra 2. Anyone who follows tech at all will be holding out for a Tegra 3 chip in the device they want (smartphone/tablet), buying Tegra 2 at this point is just buying obsolete tech

G

very nice and i hope many will have quad core but pls somebody tell me what will we see better with quad core in a mobile phone? i know about power saving ..... but anything else?i love phones and technology, my last 3 phones : iphone4, galaxy s2 and now i love my soon to be old tech galaxy nexus :) . and it helps the graphics but something else???

groveborn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Maybe it's time for the industry to get together for some new standards so users can upgrade their hardware like a desktop. Wouldn't that be nice?

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]groveborn[/nom]Maybe it's time for the industry to get together for some new standards so users can upgrade their hardware like a desktop. Wouldn't that be nice?[/citation]

I feel your nostalgia, but we were lucky to have that phenomenon once. The miniaturization of tech will make a second time impossible.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]unionoob[/nom]kinda hoping Galaxy S3 will have Tegra 3[/citation]
kinda hoping gs3 one ups tegra 4 with the exynos chip

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I'll believe it when I can buy one in a store in March. Last year, all the MWC phones were announced in March and the carriers dragged their feet w/ testing until September before you could buy one :p

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]groveborn[/nom]Maybe it's time for the industry to get together for some new standards so users can upgrade their hardware like a desktop. Wouldn't that be nice?[/citation]
That would be a good idea. But you need to have some microscope, tweezers, test benches, lupes, solder station, maggi lamps, testings softwares.
Ohh!, by the way, you need to have at least around U$40,000.00 money to acquire all the stuff I have mentioned.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
well, why dont smart phones need 4 cores ?
do it drain the mobile from power if you disable the 4 cores and run only on the 5th core im pritty sure its minimal.
i got money and i like some power so bring me 4 cores : )

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
The Novelty of Tegra 3 has started to wear off, when first talked about it was leaps and bounds ahead of anything else available on the market and since its seemingly taken so long to get in the hands of mfg's, others have had the chance to catch up, announce/release their own quads. That being said, i would still be happy to upgrade my dual core 1.2 with a chip like this.
I actually wish someone would make a "hybrid" phone, about the size of the samsung galaxy player but with a phone in it, maybe even a half inch bigger (5" - 5.5") which for me would be perfect size, bigger to alleviate my desires for a secondary tablet so i can have it all in a single device! I dont mind a little more heft to the device so make a battery worth having cover the majority of the real-estate of the back of this thing!

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Honestly even though its a substantial improvement over Tegra 2, Tegra 3 is really a very disappointing part and still is a POS in the graphics compartment(comparatively speaking).

Kinda sad that a graphics manufacturer cant release a quad core chip that cannot even outperform a dual core chip that had been on the market 6+months in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.