Nvidia Readies Driver 'Big Bang' September, Brings OpenGL 3.0 and SLI Multi-moni

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawler

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
GPU-Transcoding!? Sweet, I just hope it supports a lot of the useful formats and not just one or two. I have a HUUUUGE collection and some of my files won't stream properly to my 360, even with transcode 360 but I didn't want to spend tens of hours transcoding them..I may however spend hours doing it if this really is that much faster.

shalayka

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
OK, seriously... get your act together.

It's obvious that you have no knowledge of 3D graphics programming, or even how to use google for that matter.

It took me two seconds to type "opengl geometry shader" in google, and to click on the first link, which shows that nvidia has provided a geometry shader EXTENSION since November 2006. That's almost 2 years ago, and two months before DirectX 10 / Vista came out.

So really, how about the facts. You make it out to sound like OpenGL programmers have been missing out, when it's completely the other way around. Get with it.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]shalayka[/nom]OK, seriously... get your act together.It's obvious that you have no knowledge of 3D graphics programming, or even how to use google for that matter.It took me two seconds to type "opengl geometry shader" in google, and to click on the first link, which shows that nvidia has provided a geometry shader EXTENSION since November 2006. That's almost 2 years ago, and two months before DirectX 10 / Vista came out.So really, how about the facts. You make it out to sound like OpenGL programmers have been missing out, when it's completely the other way around. Get with it.[/citation]Really? So why haven't I seen any new games written with opengl compatability? Hmm...Plus,it will add features that direct-x 10 doesn't have.Infact,I'm sure if you want to contact me,I can show you to some actual(yes,actual) programmers who have been dying to see OpenGL 3 released..

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Aw what? I've been trying to figure out how to get the second monitor to turn off during games with one video card. All I had to do was buy a second video card?

shalayka

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]jaragon13[/nom]Really? So why haven't I seen any new games written with opengl compatability? Hmm...Plus,it will add features that direct-x 10 doesn't have.Infact,I'm sure if you want to contact me,I can show you to some actual(yes,actual) programmers who have been dying to see OpenGL 3 released..[/citation]

Note when this article was written:

http://www.ozone3d.net/tutorials/g80_opengl_programming/index.php

Note that geometry shaders and texture arrays are two features specifically listed.

No one said anything about OpenGL 3.0 being unwanted. Please ask your programmer acquaintances what an OpenGL extension is, and why it generally makes new hardware capabilities available to OpenGL programmers on the same day that the hardware comes out. Also ask them about the trivial change to one's code once the extension becomes part of the standard.

HazardousSmoker

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
Where's the Hardware PhysX support that they talked about earlier? I realize not many games support it, but it was mentioned to be included in an upcoming driver. Perhaps that happens this month instead, dunno.

G

[citation][nom]bounty[/nom]I'm still waiting for DX10 games that look significantly better than DX9 games.[/citation]
seriously

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I'd rather have games that can look better and not run like a flip-book page,and hopefully Direct-X 11 can do that,aslong as make a good purpose of those quads.

G

I am a graphics programmer in the video game industry using OpenGL. Would have loved to have GL3 last year when we expected the spec to be ratified. The reason is that the new driver model will allow for some better performance in some cases, simplifies the API, and allows for us to have less code required, as you need to write some code to support the extensions (or use an extension library, like I do GLee). It has nothing to do with support for features, I'm writting against GL 2.1 w/ appropriate extensions and I've got a nice shiny set of features.

Geometry shaders are cool, and have some interesting uses, but are not as huge a step forward as vert/fragment shaders were, though I'm hoping nVidia picks up some form of tesselation like ATi, that'll really improve the image quality of future games, replace those normal maps with displacement maps.

Groovounet

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
"OpenGL 3.0 brings updated hardware support for new technologies such as geometry shaders, texture arrays and other features introduced with DirectX DirectX 10 hardware."

OpenGL 3 isn't about features, those are already supported in OpenGL 2.1 thought OpenGL extensions. I don't even think that OpenGL 3 will support those feature, it will probably be extension as well, maybe integrated in OpenGL 3.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.