Nvidia Releases Four New Mobile GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Yikes, GeForce GTX 280M, with a G92 core? This thing is no where near a GeForce GTX 280, but the only naming difference is the M. As if the GTX 250 naming wasn't bad enough, they name their mobile chipset even worse.

I think everyone knows mobile chipsets are no where near as powerful as desktop chipsets, but seriously, naming it the 280M is just going to cause trouble. If the mobile and desktop chipsets aren't comparable, why even bother naming them the same? Why don't they take their mobile chipset off the GeForce line? It would make more sense to have different lines for completely different markets. Name it the MForce or something to reduce confusion.

scarpa

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Yikes, GeForce GTX 280M, with a G92 core? This thing is no where near a GeForce GTX 280[/citation]

Same old gpu.

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
It really looks like nvidia's latest graphics chip line is either way behind or not yet existant. They're renaming old crap to get sales in, tisk tisk.

megabuster

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
Would it be fair for us as consumers to know what comperable desktop performance we would get from a mobile GPU? Meaning why don't mobile VGA actually state Geforce 9600GT instead of Geforce 280M? Because that is the performance you are looking at with the mobile gpu.

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
In a notebook they can not rename the high end part to be a mainstream part with mainstream price. It is the power and the heat that make hi end vga doesn't feed the need for mid end vga. It is better if they create new core that optimize notebook.

megabuster

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
In a notebook they can not rename the high end part to be a mainstream part with mainstream price.
I am not asking for a mainstream price for the 280M. I am just asking for VGA company to tell us what gaming experience will one get compared to a desktop videocard. That is all. Because the way they named mobile videocard implies that you are getting a performance of Geforce 280 but in a laptop form. So if 280M performs as 9600GT(desktop) then label it the same way but charge what ever you want its not like you can upgrade yourself.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I posted about the gx250 yesterday and was cautiously optimistic that they were not trying to pull a fast one on the consumer. This time I am not so optimistic. The G92 based mobile graphics solution being call a gx280m is completely dishonest. I am aware that the economy is bad but this is unacceptable and will definitely come back to bite them. When will companies quit thinking only short term? Is it all because executives get quarterly bonus's? Say goodbye to Nvidia folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.