Nvidia Releases Game Ready Driver For 'Rise Of The Tomb Raider' And 'The Division' Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddybody

Distinguished
Not to hi-jack...but I've been pretty disappointed with nVidia's game works features as of late. Performance is hit or miss, and in the case of FO4 it was downright horrible.

nVidia needs to take a page from AMDs FOSS book. If your technology REALLY is leading a market space (and given your huge market share of dedicated GPUs) then be a leader through encouraging open standards.

-nVidia owner for the past 11 cards (GTX 460, SLI 670, SLI 780, SLI 970, SLI 980, GTX 980ti)

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
nice to see them a few days early. I guess amd will release "beta" drivers soon

iirc both consoles that released these same games are already AMD's GCN based. I suppose it would only need few and minor, if any, driver updates for AMD's GPU. Just like it always been so far...

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
nice to see them a few days early. I guess amd will release "beta" drivers soon
making few changes to a WHQL driver and calling it a "game ready" driver doesn`t make it anything but a beta driver. And i see their marketing scheme working, at least AMD has the guts to call a rushed driver for a game a "beta" while Nvidia avoids at all costs the "beta" name.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Not to hi-jack...but I've been pretty disappointed with nVidia's game works features as of late. Performance is hit or miss, and in the case of FO4 it was downright horrible.
FO4 performance problems aren't due to Game works. The game is just poorly optimised and suffer from problems on all GPUs and consoles.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
both consoles that released these same games are already AMD's GCN based. I suppose it would only need few and minor, if any, driver updates for AMD's GPU. Just like it always been so far...
Consoles and PC's use entirely different API's. It takes more then a driver update to move things over.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

And if you add Nvidia`s gameworks crap on top of that, the very thing that blocks AMD from optimising code, you get even more crap. I mean look at Witcher ... runs without problems on consoles powered by AMD, was like crap at launch on PC due to Nvidia`s Crapworks. Lots of people (nvidia users also) condemn Nvidia with this practice that is not healthy for a good competition in the GPU market.

Razvan_3

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
I personally think Nvidias driver superiority in Windows is a myth. They have as bad drivers as AMD (sometimes worse). They only have an edge sometimes because they work with the publishers to optimize the games but their drivers aren't as good as people think.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
both consoles that released these same games are already AMD's GCN based. I suppose it would only need few and minor, if any, driver updates for AMD's GPU. Just like it always been so far...
Consoles and PC's use entirely different API's. It takes more then a driver update to move things over.

afaik, consoles API is quite like what Mantle was. Don't remember where I read it. A very low level and full control of hardware. Well, maybe not in full, coz some 1-2 CPU cores apparently need to be reserved for other use like its OS and other stuff, but still. Basically its about the same as PC has, the only difference is the absolute control because of fixed environment.

And I thought that was the reason AMD rarely ever update anything for their driver, cmiiw.
If not, then damnit AMD, it better be.
*that gameworks logo also gives me the shudders like everybody else

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

When Windows 10 came all Battlefield 4 GPU problems was filled by Nvidia related issues, and pretty much still is. Very few people on AMD side really complain about stuff. But even here i find user error to be the culprit. I have 290 OC , some other dude has 290 OC but he`s getting terrible fps in BF4 with the same driver. So i guess is not the driver but what the guy has in his PC, same goes to a lot of Nvidia users. Problems can be found in both camps.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
[quotemsg}I mean look at Witcher ... runs without problems on consoles powered by AMD.[/quotemsg]

The Witcher actually has a lot of performance problems running on the consoles.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
afaik, consoles API is quite like what Mantle was. Don't remember where I read it. A very low level and full control of hardware.[/quotemsg]

Well Mantle or Valcan as it called now is certainly more low level then Direct-X and probabley better then Open-GL it is still not direct hardware access like it is with consoles.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

Exactly what i was telling ... WHQL game ready driver for Nvidia doesn`t mean it`s really a WHQL driver, they just avoid the term "beta" and since people are reacting to the AMD beta drivers the lie seems to be working.

Status
Not open for further replies.