Nvidia Removed a Linux Driver Feature Due to Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Odd that they would decrease the Linux screen limit rather than increase the Windows screen limit. If the GPU can easily push 4 screens I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use them all, especially if you could before. I wonder what other features have been cut or diminished to bring the Linux driver in line with the Windows driver or if AMD cards have OS feature discrepancies between drivers.

Spooderman

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hey Toms...Chrome is constantly detecting malware on pages of your site. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about but I don't know why it started doing it.

Akizu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
This seems like the dumbest thing ever... If it was possible to have 4 screens under linux then this must be a software limitation... I won't be surprised if someone will find a way to hack nvidia driver to support 4 screens for both windows and linux...

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
The big question here is why there would be a 3 screen limit in Windows to begin with. Is there some technical reason as to why 4 screens work under Linux but not Windows? If so, and Linux has an advantage, this sounds like someone at MS wasn't too happy about it and threw a fit which would not be out of character for the company.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
This really is baffling. My best guess for any possible excuse is that 3 monitors is more common than 4, and they didn't feel like doing whatever debugging or coding upkeep needed to make sure that 4 actually worked. They must have been hoping no one noticed, as I for one had no idea that card could push 4 displays in the first place.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
this is sad. ive always had good luck with nvidia under linux. my amd gpus always have driver issues under linux and never seem to work... i guess if only supporting 3 screens is nvidias biggest problem, there is not much to worry about.

I think the reasoning is more of an assumption at this point.

Considering that Linux has a very small market share that has very little gamers I don't think that's the real reason.

Of course one company will try to point fingers in order to save face.

Honestly its stupid to do that or to change something that did work. I wonder if they ran into issues with newer cards on those drivers and just removed it for all of them. I honestly hate trying to setup multiple displays on Linux but if it works, then why take it out?

I honestly doubt MS cares enough to do something like that as it would be considered monopolistic to try and limit Linux.

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
I've never found a 3 max limit on Windows. . . might be because I'm not using nVidia but even when I was (under XP) I didn't have any problems driving four monitors. . . really not sure what's going on here, but there's a lot of smelly . . .

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
To me it looks like an excuse to push quadros for more-then-3-monitors configurations (think about genlock - memlock).
Always IMHO it is the same reason why 780s can't have double Floating point units unlocked by the driver (even though titans / quadros can). For once I don't think Microsoft is involved :-D

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

You're absolutely right, Microsoft would never do something that would be considered monopolistic. It's certainly not like they have a track record of doing anything like that.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

With SteamOS and Android being Linux based it matters more every day. And yes there is an x86 version of Android. With MS making little new contribution to computing functionality it's market share can only diminish. So it may start to matter.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006

Comments like the above make me wonder how the world hasn't yet disappeared into a gravitational vortex of stupidity.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
" Linux is irrelevant to literally 99.9% of PC users since it has .1% market share...who cares."

Where do I begin? Linux market share is way off, without Linux servers you couldn't even read this post, Steam is preparing an exit strategy from MS, and once Mantle destroys Direct X the balance of power will have shifted. Look at the Mobile market, open source done right will destroy proprietary closed source given time.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
"Linux is irrelevant to literally 99.9% of PC users since it has .1% market share...who cares."

Where do I begin? You haven't a clue about how stats for OS use are gathered, and as such you have grossly underestimated the market share of Linux. Steam have implemented a project to free themselves from Microsoft's proprietary clutches, as have EA and AMD. The writing is on the wall, no wonder the top MS shareholders are screaming for a new leader for the company.

...pretty much anyone with an ounce of brain matter cares (there is a whole lot more to Linux than Ubuntu, if you ever heard that name).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS