News Nvidia reportedly planning RTX 3050 A using Ada Lovelace AD106 silicon — it's unclear what features remain available or how it might perform

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
The naming convention makes no sense. If it is an Ada chip underneath, I don't see any reason why they can't call it a RTX 4050 or 4050 LE for all that matters. It is going to be super confusing as to what consumers are going to get when buying a RTX 3050. I reckon most people buying a RTX 3050 will likely want to get a Ada based one instead of the Ampere based chip.

KyaraM

Admirable
I guess this way round is better than the utter mess AMD is making with their CPUs (mostly laptop, but not only) lately where chips with the same naming scheme (scheme, not name, before anyone accuses me of falsehood. I know there aren't 5 variants on an 7640HS, for example, but there being a 7640 and 7630 with different architecture is, frankly, bad enough already...) be anything between actually Zen 4 and as old as Zen 2, or some Intel SKUs using either the new or previous architecture like the 13400. At least this card isn't suggesting that something old is actually brand new. That should be banned, frankly. Why they don't just call it a 4050 is still beyond me, though. Not as if these vendors really care if a card is actually better than its predecessor (looking at you, desktop 4060 and 7800XT...). But at least you can kinda see it's an Ada card since they at least gave an indicator, though I guess the same can be said of "RTX 3050 6GB", which... is still confusing. *sighs*

Last edited: