Nvidia Reports 17 Percent in Profits in Latest Financial Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
here is something that bugs me.

a company can only make so much proffit, and can only sell so much before they sell less...
why do people bail from a company the the moment it makes money, but not as much money as before, but still makeing money?

and why do we push companies to be like apple where they sell a product for 3-5 times the production cost?

i will never understand that logic...

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Are people finally coming to their senses and understand that AMD has better bang/buck with GPUs? These "old school" hc geforce guys that think geforce=gfx card are retiring in gaming and younger generation comes in with more open minds.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
@cinergy: Enthusiast GPU sales don't account for (or at least I would hope it does not) the majority of their revenue. I'd imagine OEM contracts and things like the mobile Tegra chips are where the money rolls in, so what you said is probably not why profits declined.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]vaughn2k[/nom]nVidia;"... and the shortage of the 28-nanometer wafers as well as lower than expected production yields..."Against; --> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/2 [...] 13799.htmlTSMC;"... The TSMC's 28-NM process has surpassed the previous generation's (40-NM) production ramps and product yield at the same point in time..."Who is telling the truth?[/citation]

Both. Nvidia might have expected production to be way more than it's previous generation while TSMC is producing more 28Nm chips at a faster rate but not fast enough for Nvidia I guess.

G

You know what's worrying about this is that we were all hearing how NVIDIA were waiting on 28nm supplies to be in good amounts before shipping so they could have a good amount of cards to run with yet if this is the case it might indicate that theres going to be no Kepler in 2012. Bad news for everyone :(

*Fingers crossed that this is wrong & we see a Kepler release sooner rather then later*

cybr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Nvidia is suffering the same downturn that everyone else in the industry is facing due to shortages of drives/etc. Once that is filled, they'll be producing record #'s again. Tegra 3 will be huge.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]cybr[/nom]Nvidia is suffering the same downturn that everyone else in the industry is facing due to shortages of drives/etc. Once that is filled, they'll be producing record #'s again. Tegra 3 will be huge.[/citation]

Yeah I'm sure Tegra 3 sales are widely impacted by the shortage of hard drives...........

trih

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]here is something that bugs me.a company can only make so much proffit, and can only sell so much before they sell less...why do people bail from a company the the moment it makes money, but not as much money as before, but still makeing money? and why do we push companies to be like apple where they sell a product for 3-5 times the production cost?i will never understand that logic...[/citation]
Because the stock price is based on estimated future value of the company, not today's value. It's a game really :/

Status
Not open for further replies.