News Nvidia Repurposes Turing Silicon For CMP Crypto-Mining GPUs

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
I really hope this move toward crypto-specific cards leads to ATX motherboards having a full 7-slot 16x pci-e availablilty, at least on mid-higher end boards, and full 4-slot 16x availability on matx boards.

Tom's recently listed in a 2021 best boards list the ASRock Z490 Taichi as one of the very best, yet it only has 3 16x pci-e slots.

When spending 300, 400, 500 or more for a motherboard, "need" isn't a word to consider. These boards ought to have max slots and they currently do not. Even many of the HEDT boards for Threadrippers only go up to 4 16x slots.

InvalidError

Titan
I really hope this move toward crypto-specific cards leads to ATX motherboards having a full 7-slot 16x pci-e availablilty, at least on mid-higher end boards, and full 4-slot 16x availability on matx boards.
That doesn't make sense when the CPU+chipset only have enough PCIe lanes for three x4 slots and even then, only if you are willing to sacrifice the SATA or USB ports that share HSIO lanes with them, SLI/CF are effectively dead and all-x16 would mean no space for NVMe SSDs since those are usually in the open space next to x1 PCIe slots.

Tom's recently listed in a 2021 best boards list the ASRock Z490 Taichi as one of the very best, yet it only has 3 16x pci-e slots.

When spending 300, 400, 500 or more for a motherboard, "need" isn't a word to consider. These boards ought to have max slots and they currently do not. Even many of the HEDT boards for Threadrippers only go up to 4 16x slots.
Mining doesn't need a wide PCIe bus. There are mining boards with 15-20 PCIe x1 slots -- you use a PCIe Extender to run GPUs off of each one. Of course, getting power to 20 GPUs in a small area would be a nightmare, but most people only use one PCIe x16 slot (for the graphics card) and maybe one other device like an M.2 adapter or sound card.

TRENDING THREADS