Nvidia Reveals $50,000 Iray VCA Rendering Accelerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damon Palovaara

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Wow I might have to sell my house for this, who needs a big house anyways when you have one of these. Hell you can live in your own virtual mansion if you wanted to

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Far cry from the really cool state of the art Silicon Graphics SGI workstations of old.__Honda bought 25 nodes so this is good for Nvidia, I certainly want competition for AMD ATI.

G

The device includes eight Kepler-based GPUs .... and 23,040 CUDA cores
So that is 2880 CCs/GPU, meaning 8 Tesla K40 running in parallel? Wow, that's more than 11 TFLOPS of double precision power in that box.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Thats equivalent of 8x 780TIs with 12gb of ram each. That's actually pretty good value, if on the expensive side for small studios."I certainly want competition for AMD ATI."Unfortunately, AMD cannot fight back as nvidia bought mental images, creators of mental ray and used it as base for iray. Iray is essentially mental ray ported to work on CUDA. There is no AMD alternative planed.

mr meeseeks

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
That is not an image of the Iray VCA. He is holding the compute module for Audi's self driving cars that fit's in a slot in the trunk. The VCA is sized to be rackmounted.

This appliance aims to eliminate the costly, lengthy process of building physical prototypes by rendering computer models with extremely high visual fidelity.

Sure.... unless you actually need to test the prototype.
You know.... like you need to do with just about every prototype....

While a higher fidelity CAD model might be nicer for some; in the end a model is just a model is just a model.
If you are building anything functional, you will still need to have at least one physical prototype phase to prove your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS