ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 120 Sealed Liquid Cooling Systems
Intel Core i5 4670K Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz TurboBoost), 6MB Cache
650 Watt Corsair RM650
Dual 3GB EVGA GTX 780
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz (2x8GB)
Genuine MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition
500GB SATA 6.0Gb/s, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
ASUS 24X CD/DVD Burner

Build price buying at Newegg without any rebates (couldn't replicate HD, CPU cooler, or PSU so I upgraded them):

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($705.91 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($705.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2428.24

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Wait for Radeon's cards to come out and let them drive the price of these cards down to $350, then maybe we can see if the consumer will be interested in 4k. Until then, buy a 760 for $250 and run most games at QHD (which looks phenomenal) with 100 fps.

Hashwagon

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
So we'll have a video game running on 4K pixels, but the quality won't even come close to a Blu-Ray on 1080P. We'll have allotted 4 times the processing power for additional pixels and have limited quality. At least from a gaming perspective this resolution stuff should take a backseat until we actually have quality graphics first.

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Too expensive for me right now...

I hope AMD products can raise competitive level so that Nvidia doesn't monopolize the market and charge whatever they feel please. Come on AMD...

hannibal

Distinguished
20 nm production node or smaller is really needed to push 4K resolution in GPU but that is just fine. It should happen in next year and by then the AMD have made their improvement to their drivers, so there is real competition in 4K capable hardware by then! And that is just fine.
Two Titand or three 780 is a little bit too much even it would be fast enough. The competition situation to 4K seems to be very promising indeed. AMD is really pushing the tear down issue with its new cards aka 290 and allso making drivers improvements that are promised before the christmast. We allreasy have seen promises that Nvidia is dropping the prices. There are allso now several companies that can produce 4K screens, so there will be competitio allso in there, but in realiy I am more worried about those 4k monitors than GPU situation at this moment...

It may take some years untill it will be affordable though...

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Because it's the costs of the GPUs that makes 4K a restrictive market right? Clearly, it has nothing to do with the monitor costing more than the system...

SuckRaven

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
NO !!! 'Cause ehhrrrr.... consoles Derp !!! Arrrrghhhhhhh. Consoles will scrape the bottom of this type of bar in about 10 or 12 years. It's a good time for PCs. Maybe there will be a renewed interest in making releases primarily for the PC again, sine to borrow a quote, consoles "can't touch this".

RupertJr

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
this certification is the most stupid thing ever. I seems like NVidia is extremely desperate since they are loosing all their battles. I really hope they add support for Mantle to give all gamers a performance improvement without having to make enormous investments on hardware.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

You didn't list the ram?

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Is anyone really going to fall for this marketing ploy? I guess someone will or they wouldnt have released it but still. Rather than do this why dont they work on a single card thats about $500 that can do 4k res and certify IT and it alone for 4k? Then they can call it the battle card (or something similar) certification and at least have something to compete against steambox and mantle.

Not that its going to mean much since the monitors for 4k are prohibitively expensive currently and the only reason to get a 4k certified video card now would be for the future possibility of running 4k. But hey its nice to know your card can do it... sort of like physx.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Cool! Thanks for putting in the work =)

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006

Thanks for posting that, it's interesting, but what exactly was the point? $500 or ~%25 margin over retail cost is actually pretty low. From a business perspective, dealing with faulty parts, labor to build and burn-in these machines, the cost maintaining a website, will easily eat up the difference. The real expense however, comes from having to support your customers and warranties. I sell custom PCs to small businesses and I can tell you that supporting some of them who call over the smallest issues that aren't even related to the build (mostly 3rd party software issues) is a burden. I only get paid when I sell the machine, and I warranty it for 1 yr. My margins to provide that service are a lot higher than 25%. After business taxes alone, if I only charged 25% I'd lose money.

I think a lot of people have no idea what it actually costs to run a business.

In Maryland for instance, just ongoing costs:

2.3% of each persons payroll (for new non-construction companies) to unemployment ins tax, paid by the company, not the employees,
7.5% of payroll in SS/MED taxes paid by the company in addition to 7.5% paid by employees.
$252/yr in payroll fees,
$720/yr in bank account fees (if less than $150k avg balance)
$450/yr for tax prep
$300/yr to maintain company LLC charter
~$1000/yr in webhosting
$1800/yr in phone bills
$840/yr in internet service
~25% in additional state and federal taxes on net income after the above business expenses are accounted for.
If you are small enough, the affordable care act doesn't apply, so I don't have a figure for that, but that starts today.

The add-on expenses are endless. I can't tabulate them all here, but from my perspective 25% margin is an excellent deal.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

That is currently impossible. It won't be possible at 20nm either. You will require a die shrink to 14nm or below to run 4K on a single card in everything (and it may still take two...for EVERYTHING that is...LOL). So your statement is moot. NV would have to LIE to say a single card can do 4K. The second you bought a 4k monitor in your example (at some point down the road I guess) you'd realize your SINGLE card bought today, can only do 5-10fps at 4K...ROFL. That's why there are 2-4 in these boxes :) Note I'm talking 30fps MIN AT ALL TIMES. Never seeing it drop below 30fps no matter what is going on. I don't think you'll be able to do that at 20nm with TWO cards, let alone today with one..ROFL. They could build your magical chip, but it would be 1500mm2 and cost $6000 because of all the faulty dies at that size. Then you'd complain they are gouging you...ROFL.

Thanks for the laugh.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Yeah 4k is is nice but the game still does not look real. What is the use? We need real scenes then. We need better color rendition for the vehicles and shadows. We don't have that yet. The software has a way to go. Great work Nvidia and AMD. Only the coders are coding for consoles. ha ha. WHAT A WASTE.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010

If they did, why wouldn't they release it for ~$5k and roll in the money? Damn you must be stupid, what about the power requirement, thermals, die size? But yeah you're probably right, it's just that they haven't thought about making a card that's several times the power of the Titan for half the price.

Marc999

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Lol, nope. My PC gaming has monetary limitations.

Until this 4k gaming is affordable to the masses, I'm watch from the sidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS