[SOLVED] Nvidia RTX 2070 (Laptop) vs RTX 2080 Max-Q

jorge_medion

Honorable
Jan 20, 2018
So I am looking for gaming laptops and current generation GPUs and I was wondering if Nvidia RTX 2080 Max-Q has better performance than Nvidia RTX 2070 (laptop, no Max-Q), but after checking specs and games benchmarks I don't have a conclusion:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeFor...Force-RTX-2070-Laptop_9621_9551.247598.0.html

In some games RTX 2080 Max-Q has higher fps than RTX 2070 (laptop), but in others RTX 2070 (laptop) has highes fps than RTX 2080 Max-Q. Which one would be better for gaming? How can I be sure that a RTX 2070 is indeed RTX 2070 but not RTX 2070 Max-Q?

I am looking for honest feedback and people that know further about this topic because I am just a casual player and I need some advice for my next purchase.

Solution
What games are you playing exactly cause even a 2070 could be overkill. and most likely why the 2080 loses to the 2070 is cause the 2080 is a hotter card to keep cool so it may have to throttle at times to prevent damage. I'd go for a 2070 laptop for the value, it's more balanced so it should suit a casual gamer better. And every card has it's strengths and faults.
What games are you playing exactly cause even a 2070 could be overkill. and most likely why the 2080 loses to the 2070 is cause the 2080 is a hotter card to keep cool so it may have to throttle at times to prevent damage. I'd go for a 2070 laptop for the value, it's more balanced so it should suit a casual gamer better. And every card has it's strengths and faults.

Solution

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Max-Q versions are special mobile version of the chip which use less power. They are specially made for laptops with lower temps and longer battery life in mind. But they usually run a little slower than the non Max-Q counter parts. I am not 100% sure about benchmark comparisons, but my best guess is that both cards perform about the same, with the 2080 Max-Q version probably not as hot as the regular 2070. I wouldn't worry too much about the differences in the benchmarks....the differences are so minor and should only make a couple of fps difference. There is no way you notice that during gaming. With a laptop I probably would go with the Max-Q version. Just due to the fact that I don't want to burn my fingers while gaming!

Last edited: