News Nvidia RTX 3080 and Ampere: Everything We Know

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Nvidia apparently has really focused on reworking the RTX core's performance with Ampere.
I really hope so, even if it's not actually 4-5x faster.

All along, I have been betting on the second-gen RTX implementation to be finally good enough for regular usage. Often, no matter how much effort goes into v1.0 of some technology, there are things you learn in doing it that make 2.0 a lot better.

I don't know if I am right or wrong but was Moore's Law Is Dead the one who said that there is a possibility of card RTX3090 which sits between RTX3080 and RTX3080Ti in performance. If he did that dint make any sense with rest of what he said which was very practical and believable. As RTX3090 will not exist if RTX3080Ti is to be based on GA102 which is what it should be in a sane world. Reason is that what RTX3090 is said to do what will be done by RTX3080Super on a very later date. I really don't think RTX3090 will be a thing.

Reactions: bit_user

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I don't know if I am right or wrong but was Moore's Law Is Dead the one who said that there is a possibility of card RTX3090 which sits between RTX3080 and RTX3080Ti in performance. If he did that dint make any sense with rest of what he said which was very practical and believable. As RTX3090 will not exist if RTX3080Ti is to be based on GA102 which is what it should be in a sane world. Reason is that what RTX3090 is said to do what will be done by RTX3080Super on a very later date. I really don't think RTX3090 will be a thing.
I had not heard of a 3090 until this post. It was not mentioned in either of the Moore's Law Is Dead leak videos posted this past week. A google search points to this rumor coming from a twitter poster back in March. I don't know if Moore's Law Is Dead covered it then, but the leak didn't originate from him. The 3090 was supposedly a full GA102 die which would have put it over the 3080Ti. Having a 3090 between the 3080 and 3080Ti makes zero sense. The 3080Ti was never going to be based on the GA100 die, that was never a legitimate rumor.

I had not heard of a 3090 until this post. It was not mentioned in either of the Moore's Law Is Dead leak videos posted this past week. A google search points to this rumor coming from a twitter poster back in March. I don't know if Moore's Law Is Dead covered it then, but the leak didn't originate from him. The 3090 was supposedly a full GA102 die which would have put it over the 3080Ti. Having a 3090 between the 3080 and 3080Ti makes zero sense. The 3080Ti was never going to be based on the GA100 die, that was never a legitimate rumor.
Yeah I came across lot of news related to it. Some one did talk about it. If I come across it again I will inform you. But in any-case that is not going to happen.

Don't know how big of an improvement the RTX3000 series will be. But unless it is an extremely huge jump like 50% there is a good possibility of NVIDIA loosing the throne to AMD from the latest rumors of RDNA2. One thing is true that many consumers around the world like me are extremely happy that AMD Pushed Intel to an extent that it is now almost dead and running on fumes. And is now after NVIDIA. Good. Really good.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
AMD Pushed Intel to an extent that it is now almost dead and running on fumes. And is now after NVIDIA. Good. Really good.
No... Intel is really in strong financial shape, with healthy revenue numbers - definitely not running on fumes. They sat up and took notice of AMD, but demand has been so strong that I wouldn't say it's hurt Intel too much.

And the damage inflicted by AMD was really pushing Intel to boost its core counts, which just made their whole manufacturing capacity problems that much worse. AMD could be giving big customers more pricing leverage, though I'm not sure we've seen evidence of that, in recent Intel financials. However, I don't think Intel has lost a meaningful amount of market share to AMD.

Intel will eventually come back and challenge AMD. Intel will be with us for a long time to come, although ARM CPUs are finally starting to pose a real threat, as are Chinese competitors and the threat of losing the Chinese market.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
No... Intel is really in strong financial shape, with healthy revenue numbers - definitely not running on fumes. They sat up and took notice of AMD, but demand has been so strong that I wouldn't say it's hurt Intel too much.

And the damage inflicted by AMD was really pushing Intel to boost its core counts, which just made their whole manufacturing capacity problems that much worse. AMD could be giving big customers more pricing leverage, though I'm not sure we've seen evidence of that, in recent Intel financials. However, I don't think Intel has lost a meaningful amount of market share to AMD.

Intel will eventually come back and challenge AMD. Intel will be with us for a long time to come, although ARM CPUs are finally starting to pose a real threat, as are Chinese competitors and the threat of losing the Chinese market.
I was definitely not referring to Intel as a whole brand. I was just referring to consumer CPU Lineup. And when I say NVIDIA will loose its throne I was again referring to mainstream consumer lineup.

I went through notes from different Youtube sources and one thing I got from it is that A100 has cutoff GA100 implementation which has limited core count of 6912 CUDA Cores and 432 Tensor Cores. While the actual GA100 packs 8192 CUDA Cores and 512 Tensor Cores. That is insanely huge jump in Core count itself. With IPC improvement things get interesting. Yes the Tensor Core count decreased but the New Gen implementation and Performance increase and the change in functional utilization may be more than enough to overcome the cut-off in Numbers.
Hmmmmm.......
Lets see how RTX series ends up.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
If the sparse inventory levels of the top Nvidia 2000 series GPUs at my local Microcenter is any indication, the announcement of the new 3080s must be just around the corner.

If the sparse inventory levels of the top Nvidia 2000 series GPUs at my local Microcenter is any indication, the announcement of the new 3080s must be just around the corner.
Well it will launch this year. But not in coming month or two. Yes majority who know that RTX3000 series is coming soon are not interested in purchasing high end RTX2000 cards.

InvalidError

Titan
Thanks to covid-19, inventory of just about everything non-essential, especially the more popular models, is getting low in most places so I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on current availability of any particular part.

Thanks to covid-19, inventory of just about everything non-essential, especially the more popular models, is getting low in most places so I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on current availability of any particular part.
Yes that may be the case but sadly even online sales are low which are not restricted in any ways at-least in USA and Europe. But yes covid-19 did effect have effect on market. But in a different way. Many jobs are lost around the world or are not being paid in full.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
People have to keep expectations in check. The 2080 Ti was actually a pretty useless card. The actual in game average FPS over the 2080 Super for example (over 30+ games) that Hardware Unboxed tested was 14 percent.

So you went from $1000 CAD to $1700 CAD for a card that gave you 14 percent more fps, almost unnoticeable. I don't care about all the blather, I want actual game fps improvements in games that are not CPU limited. I'd like 50 percent more than last gen, it has been 2 years (in the past gens were 1 or 1.5 years apart) and the cost is high. But I no longer care, nVidia wants massive profits, they are not interested in a good GPU anymore for lower prices.

Reactions: sstanic

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
People have to keep expectations in check. The 2080 Ti was actually a pretty useless card. The actual in game average FPS over the 2080 Super for example (over 30+ games) that Hardware Unboxed tested was 14 percent.

So you went from $1000 CAD to $1700 CAD for a card that gave you 14 percent more fps, almost unnoticeable. I don't care about all the blather, I want actual game fps improvements in games that are not CPU limited. I'd like 50 percent more than last gen, it has been 2 years (in the past gens were 1 or 1.5 years apart) and the cost is high. But I no longer care, nVidia wants massive profits, they are not interested in a good GPU anymore for lower prices.

I pretty much concur. Bought a 2080 S Gigabyte Windforce OC for $20 less than I paid for my previous MSI Gaming 1080ti. My max Time Spy OC Grapics score went up almost 32%. While I backed off that for gaming and everyday usage it still gives me far better performance on my 4k monitor. I'm not interested in paying $1200 for a graphics card at this point, but if the 3080 or its later S model provides another 25-30% improvement for around $725-750 I'll buy it as that will essentially max out my 60hz 4k monitor performance.

I previously paid around $1200 for two OC 980s in SLI to run my 4k monitor, but left the window open most of the winter while gaming and had a room A/C unit blowing directly on my case in the summers to keep my room temps down.

If you look at the number of items not available I'd say their shipping chains have been hurt by the crap going on. It's not just GPUs, but every PC related component. My local MC has such a depleted inventory it's scary.

If you look at the number of items not available I'd say their shipping chains have been hurt by the crap going on. It's not just GPUs, but every PC related component. My local MC has such a depleted inventory it's scary.

Yeah. I build systems in my spare time for clients and I have been having a hard time the last 2 months. Not only with all the parts I normally buy being out of stock but the shipping delay which is not helping me.

InvalidError

Titan
Yes that may be the case but sadly even online sales are low which are not restricted in any ways at-least in USA and Europe.
The supply chain is bigger than just the store selling you finished parts. Covid-19 disruptions affect the people who are in the mines collecting ore and oil that will later get refined to make everything else. Those source materials have to be brought to refineries, people work in those refineries too. Refined materials have to be brought to factories that will transform them into something usable for manufacturing and those transformation plants have people too. Rinse and repeat for every other manufacturing and distribution step between there, discrete component manufacturers, board manufacturers, global distributors, local distributors, vendors, shipping to end-users and whatever other steps I may have missed.

You are seeing little to no stock online because the supply chain is disrupted before getting there, possibly all the way back to raw materials in some cases.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
The supply chain is bigger than just the store selling you finished parts. Covid-19 disruptions affect the people who are in the mines collecting ore and oil that will later get refined to make everything else. Those source materials have to be brought to refineries, people work in those refineries too. Refined materials have to be brought to factories that will transform them into something usable for manufacturing and those transformation plants have people too. Rinse and repeat for every other manufacturing and distribution step between there, discrete component manufacturers, board manufacturers, global distributors, local distributors, vendors, shipping to end-users and whatever other steps I may have missed.

You are seeing little to no stock online because the supply chain is disrupted before getting there, possibly all the way back to raw materials in some cases.
All the more reason that when Nvidia production resumes it should be concentrated on producing only the new 3000 series Nvidia GPS. There will be no existing inventory of 2000 series cards that needs to be cleared first.

InvalidError

Titan
Not everyone can afford a 3000 series. They still need to sell the 2000 series.
If the manufacturing chain is stalled, there may not be that many 2000-series in the pipeline to worry about in the first place. As for 3000's pricing, we'll have to wait and see how it lines up on bang-per-buck. I don't mind price points going up a bit if it means performance going up a whole lot more.

Reactions: Gurg
If the manufacturing chain is stalled, there may not be that many 2000-series in the pipeline to worry about in the first place. As for 3000's pricing, we'll have to wait and see how it lines up on bang-per-buck. I don't mind price points going up a bit if it means performance going up a whole lot more.

Can't wait to see all that new stuff coming out and recommend this to people :)

Reactions: Gurg