News Nvidia RTX 40-Series Ada GPUs Will Likely Coexist With RTX 30-Series

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I feel this is a good strategy. At least keep the RTX 3000 series around until the supply for RTX 4000 series is stabilised before pulling the plug. I feel this was the issue when they introduced Ampere, and they stopped Turing cards too soon. As a result, the supply for RTX 3000 series is too low and caused a lack of GPU supply at least for some time.
However knowing Nvidia, they are probably doing this for some other reasons. Chances is that they are trying to address the issue mentioned earlier, but also because this allows them to price the RTX 4000 series higher.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Price the new generation so high that you need the previous generation to cover the sub-$800 market!
Next gen cards cannot be cheap in my opinion. Since all the big players are stuck on TSMC’s 5nm (or the refined 4nm), I doubt TSMC will underprice any allocation(s). Compared to the older and less advance Samsung 10nm ( or what they call 8nm), I suspect the Samsung node will be much cheaper for Nvidia since Samsung wanted to win Nvidia over at that point in time. And because Nvidia has been hopping around to source for better deals, chances is that TSMC may charge them a premium for any allocations.

InvalidError

Titan
I feel this was the issue when they introduced Ampere, and they stopped Turing cards too soon. As a result, the supply for RTX 3000 series is too low and caused a lack of GPU supply at least for some time.
It wouldn't have helped: there were already shortages of VRM components back then and then you had shortages of GDDR6 at about the same time due to the nearly simultaneous launches of RTX3k, RX6k, PS5 and XBS-XS.

Continuing to make your older chips based on previous-gen process to help meet demand only helps when your own leading-edge wafer supply is the single major bottleneck.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
So 30 series msrp will probably stay the same with retail dropping closer to it, and the 40 series will cost more relative to the performance it puts out. Another gen with little improvement in perf/$.

I'm guessing AMD is going along with this plan?

Is Intel working on professional drivers or what? Games play proportionately fine on my uhd 770.
But I'm sure there will be a couple bugs, even AMD and Nvidia still have them.
It is just taking too long for Intel to enter the market. The door is wide open. They shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of the good.

Sci666

Commendable
Jun 24, 2019
Rtx 4000 so early? I hope they do not the same mess with the models..... The weaker one with more ram and different Version of one model. 10 vs 12 GB.... Etc.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
So 30 series msrp will probably stay the same with retail dropping closer to it, and the 40 series will cost more relative to the performance it puts out. Another gen with little improvement in perf/$.

I'm guessing AMD is going along with this plan?

Is Intel working on professional drivers or what? Games play proportionately fine on my uhd 770.
But I'm sure there will be a couple bugs, even AMD and Nvidia still have them.
It is just taking too long for Intel to enter the market. The door is wide open. They shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of the good.
Assuming no crazy mining demand for GPUs, I feel this supposed MSRP is not going to be the same as Ampere’s launch day MSRP. You are probably looking at the “new” MSRP introduced with the new cards like RTX 3070 Ti, RTX 3080 12GB, RTX 3080 TI, etc. Nvidia is not known to slash prices at the end of the product cycle, so I won’t expect the successor to cost cheaper if they perform better. The AIB partners will make sure of that.

Sci666

Commendable
Jun 24, 2019
we need new law to prevent selling items over 100%+ msrp ..... why should i pay the same pricew for a 3060 when i can theoreically buy a 3080 or buy a 3080 for the same price like the 3090 ....this is sick !!!!!

Reactions: bigdragon

hannibal

Distinguished
Also those msrp models are normally compensated by AMD and Nvidia in the release and then subvention ends... So MSRP is in reality limited time offer to blind the tech websites and youtubers...
Same tactic that shops use when they sell one specific coffee packets to the 100 first customers at 50% discount... Rest will buy the coffee at normal price as well as other products...

InvalidError

Titan
Also those msrp models are normally compensated by AMD and Nvidia in the release and then subvention ends...
There is no need to subsidize $300+ reference design GPUs, plenty of gross margin on most of those to afford eating launch-day costs. The ones that need subsidies the most are lower-end models where express air shipping to get stock on shelves for launch day since shipping containers will be 2-3 months behind accounts for a disproportionate chunk of the retail cost.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I'm hoping Intel's entrance into the GPU market shakes things up dramatically. GPU prices have become too detached from the gaming ecosystem. Seeing 7-tier GPUs cost dramatically more than an new Xbox or Playstation is troubling.

Continuing the sell the 30-series is probably a good idea for Nvidia. The 40-series could be a huge power hog, and requiring a new PSU is a huge annoyance given current market conditions.

hannibal

Distinguished
I'm hoping Intel's entrance into the GPU market shakes things up dramatically. GPU prices have become too detached from the gaming ecosystem. Seeing 7-tier GPUs cost dramatically more than an new Xbox or Playstation is troubling.

Continuing the sell the 30-series is probably a good idea for Nvidia. The 40-series could be a huge power hog, and requiring a new PSU is a huge annoyance given current market conditions.

When Asus makes gpus using Nvidia, AMD or Intel chips... it does not shake the gpu market. Sam thing with MSI, Gigabyte or any other company that makes gpus using all three gpu chip designer... Non of those companies manufacture those chips. So prices will remain the same!
Just look what happens. AMD 6500 is slow... so it is sold close msrp. Nvidi 3050 is faster so it is sold well above msrp. MSRP means nothing to Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or any other player out there. The only thing that matter is how fast the chip is compared to other chips and price will follow that line more or less...

InvalidError

Titan
The only thing that matter is how fast the chip is compared to other chips and price will follow that line more or less...
Only because the current market is severely supply-constrained. Under normal circumstances where supply has enough elasticity to meet demand, you would have new or returning players under-cutting existing ones to grow their market share like AMD did with the the very budget-minded RX470/480 intended to snatch a huge chunk of the mid-range gaming market from Nvidia for ~$200. This is the situation Intel should ideally be in.