Question NVIDIA RTX 4070 Super doesn't work - blackscreen

Feb 2, 2024
So, I was super stoked to finally enjoy high fidelity gaming after I upgraded my PC to a RTX 4070 Super - if that card would actually work.
After installing any drivers my PC always shows a blackscreen in Windows no mater what, I get a picture in BIOS without problems. I can see the windows login screen, the second I press anything, blackscreen again. The card does work in my old PC and my old GPU works in my new PC.

I tried everything I can think off so far, changing cables, reseating GPU, change ports, BIOS upgrade, reinstalling Windows, using DDU, but nothing helped. I also tried a different display, no difference.

Does anyone here has similiar problems or knows how I can fix it?

My setup is the following:
  • NVIDIA RTX 4070 Super Gigabyte Eagle OC 12G
  • Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX
  • 2x 16GB G.Skill Flare DDR5 memory
  • AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • 850 Watt Corsair RMx Series RM850x Modular 80+ GolD
  • Windows 11 Pro

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Fairly thorough troubleshooting steps.

Have you tried forcing the PCIe speed in the BIOS before switching over?

Only thing I can think of is some abnormal incompatibility. Might actually be worth reaching out to Gigabyte on that one. Since they make the motherboard and the GPU in this situation. They may be able to provide a BIOS update to either the motherboard or card.

Reactions: 35below0

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
How do I reset the BIOS? I upgraded it, the old GPU is a GTX 1060 and the new PSU did work on my old PC
Clear CMOS button (hold it for a few minutes), CMOS clear jumper (place in the other position for a few minutes), or remove the battery from the motherboard for a few minutes.

A BIOS update can leave behind settings that no longer match the new version. Not that common though.

Feb 2, 2024
Fairly thorough troubleshooting steps.

Have you tried forcing the PCIe speed in the BIOS before switching over?

Only thing I can think of is some abnormal incompatibility. Might actually be worth reaching out to Gigabyte on that one. Since they make the motherboard and the GPU in this situation. They may be able to provide a BIOS update to either the motherboard or card.
I tried PCIe 4 as well as 3, both didn’t work out. According to pcpartpicker my system should work without any compatibility issues

Feb 2, 2024
Clear CMOS button (hold it for a few minutes), CMOS clear jumper (place in the other position for a few minutes), or remove the battery from the motherboard for a few minutes.

A BIOS update can leave behind settings that no longer match the new version. Not that common though.
I just did reset my BIOS and it didn’t work out. I still boot into the windows login screen and it still gives me a blackscreen the moment I touch the mouse or keyboard

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They don't actually test anything though. Physically, sure, any GPU can go into any PCIe slot, as long as you have power it should work. Now UEFI is a hard limit on these newer cards, but most people aren't putting 40 series cards in 15+ year old machines.

Fresh install of Windows, latest drivers, you could try a slightly older driver and see if that helps any. Gigabyte seems to have one a few days older than Nvidia.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N407SEAGLE-OC-12GD/support#support-dl-driver

It may be trying to load the wrong driver, in which case DDU again, from safemode, and then try installing the above driver.

Feb 2, 2024
They don't actually test anything though. Physically, sure, any GPU can go into any PCIe slot, as long as you have power it should work. Now UEFI is a hard limit on these newer cards, but most people aren't putting 40 series cards in 15+ year old machines.

Fresh install of Windows, latest drivers, you could try a slightly older driver and see if that helps any. Gigabyte seems to have one a few days older than Nvidia.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N407SEAGLE-OC-12GD/support#support-dl-driver

It may be trying to load the wrong driver, in which case DDU again, from safemode, and then try installing the above driver.
Sadly I already tried that driver. Right now I‘m preparing a Win10 bootable USB stick to install a fresh copy of Win10, maybe Win11 has troubles with my system.

Feb 2, 2024
So I just did a fresh Windows 10 install and it still wasn’t working correctly. While I were able to get into windows I couldn’t play any games. As soon as I started a game both monitors turned off, I got the windows connection sound, I still heard the game and then after a few seconds the game closed and I got a picture again. I even got the attached error message with one game

Feb 3, 2024
I had a similar problem with a Mag B650M Mortar. Good thing AMD added the iGPU because my monitor wouldn't even detect a signal from the 4070 Super. I used the iGPU to grab the latest BIOS from 1/25/24 and it fired right up. Haven't had as much a glitch since. Funny, the change log only stated "AGESA ComboPI 1.1.0.2b updated" and it was a Beta release but it solve my GPU problem.

The BIOS it replaced wasn't that old either, from November I think? Either way, the GPU wouldn't work without it. So if your still having black screen issues and there is a newer BOIS, update it before returning the card.

FYI: I only play one game but it went from 75 FPS on high settings with a 3060Ti to 144 FPS on Ultra. It's been about a week now and have all but forgotten about the $600 I had to spend on a XX70 series GPU. I am more than happy with it.... just hope I can say the same thing a year from now.

Feb 3, 2024
I had a similar problem with a Mag B650M Mortar. Good thing AMD added the iGPU because my monitor wouldn't even detect a signal from the 4070 Super. I used the iGPU to grab the latest BIOS from 1/25/24 and it fired right up. Haven't had as much a glitch since. Funny, the change log only stated "AGESA ComboPI 1.1.0.2b updated" and it was a Beta release but it solve my GPU problem.

The BIOS it replaced wasn't that old either, from November I think? Either way, the GPU wouldn't work without it. So if your still having black screen issues and there is a newer BOIS, update it before returning the card.

FYI: I only play one game but it went from 75 FPS on high settings with a 3060Ti to 144 FPS on Ultra. It's been about a week now and have all but forgotten about the $600 I had to spend on a XX70 series GPU. I am more than happy with it.... just hope I can say the same thing a year from now.
...and I also tried clearing CMOS first also. I even cleaned the AMD drivers before installing the new one from nvidia and still had a black screen. Nothing worked until I updated the BIOS.

Feb 2, 2024

I just upgraded my BIOS to the 1/25/2024 version but the problems still persist. I also ran DDU and installed fresh drivers afterwards, didn’t change a thing. Still getting blackscreens left and right. Right now I’m trying to install the newest driver, but the studio version and not the game version, maybe that helps

It sounds like it is, but just making sure the card is plugged directly into the motherboard with no riser cable correct?

Have you tried it with just a single screen connected?

Are you using just DP or HDMI cables?

Does anything show up in event viewer (referring to Win10 since you said you were able to get to the point of playing a game it just failed when you loaded it)?

This shouldn't really be an issue with that card's power draw, but are you using two separate 8 pin connectors for the adapter?

I figure you probably have done this, and just didn't mention it, but have you installed the AMD Chipset Driver (I've seen some weird BIOS requirements on other boards relating to it)?

All in all everything troubleshooting wise seems to be rather thorough so there's nothing obvious that screams problem.

Feb 2, 2024
It sounds like it is, but just making sure the card is plugged directly into the motherboard with no riser cable correct?

Have you tried it with just a single screen connected?

Are you using just DP or HDMI cables?

Does anything show up in event viewer (referring to Win10 since you said you were able to get to the point of playing a game it just failed when you loaded it)?

This shouldn't really be an issue with that card's power draw, but are you using two separate 8 pin connectors for the adapter?

I figure you probably have done this, and just didn't mention it, but have you installed the AMD Chipset Driver (I've seen some weird BIOS requirements on other boards relating to it)?

All in all everything troubleshooting wise seems to be rather thorough so there's nothing obvious that screams problem.
I tried it with three different screens, all on their own and with different cables, HDMI and DP as well

The event viewer says the following: "The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found"after I started a game which froze my whole system

I'm using two seperate 8 pin connectors for the splitted GPU cable

The AMD chipset also is installed

Feb 2, 2024
EXPO is disabled, I already tried it yesterday with EXPO being enabled, but it also didn’t work

I‘m really close to sending the card back and buying a new one, hoping that will solve my issue

Feb 9, 2024
EXPO is disabled, I already tried it yesterday with EXPO being enabled, but it also didn’t work

I‘m really close to sending the card back and buying a new one, hoping that will solve my issue
Hello! I encountered a similar problem. Do you happen to have a video card connected via a riser?
If so, switch PCI-ex to 3.0 mode.

Jul 7, 2024

I am facing the same issue with basically the same setup. Have you solved the issue? Did you have to replace the card?

Feb 2, 2024
I am facing the same issue with basically the same setup. Have you solved the issue? Did you have to replace the card?
I did solve the issue. I replaced the power adapter that came with the card with a third party 12VHPWR adapter compatible with my PSU.

Jul 7, 2024
I did solve the issue. I replaced the power adapter that came with the card with a third party 12VHPWR adapter compatible with my PSU.
I should try that. I had consistently low benchmarks for 2D and 3D graphics using Performance Test, but then changed some BIOS settings for the PCIe 1 (where the GPU was inserted in my case), from "Auto" to "Gen 3", then the benchmarks were good and I was able to update Windows without crashing, after which the benchmarks were low again, then I changed BIOS setting from "Gen 3" to "Gen 4" and the benchmarks were great. Thought I solved the issue, but after installing a couple of games, they all crashed immediately on startup, so no go. Thanks for answering!