Question Nvidia RTX 4080 compatibility with CPU/Motherboard ?

Dec 6, 2022
I haven't really thought about PC stuff in years--the last PC I got was right as Covid started and I'm a little out of the loop. I was hoping for some general advice to help me ask the right questions.

I have a PC with the following and am thinking about upgrading my GPU to an RTX 4080*:

ASUS Prime X299-A II
1050 Watt power supply
Intel Core i9-10980XE
Nvidia RTX 2070 SUPER
MSI Optix MAG27CQ monitor

*I'm wanting the RTX 4080 as it's been more than a generation since my last and I don't necessarily want to put out the money for a 4090.

Some googling seems to be telling me I need to upgrade my CPU as well, to go with the 4080--is this true?

What questions do I need to ask myself as far as my existing motherboard being compatible with a 4080?

You don't NEED a new CPU. That CPU has better multicore performance than the i5-12600k or the Ryzen 7 5700x, both of which are easily recommended as more than capable enough for use with the latest 40 series Nvidia cards. It's not going to get you world class leading performance, but it's certainly not going to give you any kind of serious bottleneck either. It has a bit less single core performance but that isn't nearly as important as it used to be AND it's single core performance is still quite good, even if it isn't AS good as newer architectures.

So if you want a newer CPU you will also need a newer motherboard. Memory might be a bigger issue depending on what you're running.

Your board is fine for the 40 series cards if you stick with the CPU you have now.

Of the MOST concern to me might be, what is the EXACT model of your 1050w power supply?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Dec 6, 2022
You don't NEED a new CPU. That CPU has better multicore performance than the i5-12600k or the Ryzen 7 5700x, both of which are easily recommended as more than capable enough for use with the latest 40 series Nvidia cards. It's not going to get you world class leading performance, but it's certainly not going to give you any kind of serious bottleneck either. It has a bit less single core performance but that isn't nearly as important as it used to be AND it's single core performance is still quite good, even if it isn't AS good as newer architectures.

So if you want a newer CPU you will also need a newer motherboard. Memory might be a bigger issue depending on what you're running.

Your board is fine for the 40 series cards if you stick with the CPU you have now.

Awesome! Thank you so much for the input. I'll think about maybe upgrading the CPU/motherboard. I did it a couple times before so I think I could figure it out. If not, maybe a future upgrade.

Of the MOST concern to me might be, what is the EXACT model of your 1050w power supply?

Thank you for asking. It's an HPV-1050GD-F14C 1050W. Might this affect anything? What should be my concerns?

I can't find a lot about that specific model but I'm familiar enough with High Power to say that the 1050w platform they use to build those units off of has some good models for some manufacturers but it also has some very poor models using that platform, specifically some of those which are self branded as High Power like that one is.

How old is that thing?

Awesome! Thank you so much for the input. I'll think about maybe upgrading the CPU/motherboard. I did it a couple times before so I think I could figure it out. If not, maybe a future upgrade.

Thank you for asking. It's an HPV-1050GD-F14C 1050W. Might this affect anything? What should be my concerns?
The 3yr warranty on that psu is a flag.

You might want to put a psu on your shopping list.

A psu with a 7/10yr warranty would be a better fit.

Nov 19, 2022
My system current system:

Video card: GIGABYTE EAGLE OC GeForce RTX 4080
Motherboard: Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU: i9-9900
PSU: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 750 W

Everything works just fine. Total power consumption is below 500W.

What does this have to do with this thread? Total power consumption on RTX 4080 is NOT below 500w potential draw including the entire system. RTX 4080 power draw is 320w peak by itself.

AZiyYtm.png

And the the 10980XE the OP has can pull up to about 375w, by itself.

vYmsOjg.png

That means potentially a 695w draw JUST for the CPU and graphics card and does not in any way account for the needs of the motherboard, storage devices, fans, lighting, memory or any additional expansion devices. And it FOR SURE doesn't account for the transient spikes that we KNOW it is going to have. Just because you are not pushing your hardware, or playing games, or running apps, that push the hardware, doesn't make it ok to drop statements that amount to you are fine with a 750w power supply (Or God knows how old mediocre/potentially poor quality 1050w power supply) when we factually know that the 4080 and 4090 cards have a variety of issues not least of which is a tendency to trigger OCP and OPP on units that either don't have sufficient overhead capacity or have poorly tuned protections.

Honestly, it great that your system is working well with a 750w unit, and you DO have a really excellent power supply which is definitely more than capable of supporting more than it's rated capacity, but it probably isn't going to translate into a very valid recommendation for most people with one of these cards.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Nov 19, 2022
I was not sure if my Z390 (PCI 3.0) + i9-9900 can potentially bottleneck RTX 4080.

But at high resolution and high graphics settings (which I always prefer) RTX 4080 utilization is close to 100% and i9-9900 utilization is below 50% for the most titles I play. Power consumption is just an example for my system.

Fair enough. I think though, that if you were to play titles that better evenly made use of the CPU as well as the graphics card, you'd potentially see higher power consumption however your i9-9900 is only a 65w part while his 10980xe is a 165w part. And those are the base clock specs that do not include power consumption under steady state all core boost loads. So we're talking more than DOUBLE the power consumption of your configuration on the CPU side of things.

That's interesting, because a couple of things. If you CPU is hitting it's all core clocks, it's sipping 210wor so. If you're OC'ing the CPU it draws even more. The 4080 has transient power spikes up to 500-500w alone. The two in tandem would suggest, your average power consumption might be 500w, but you can bet you're having spikes well close to 750w. I'm pretty sure IIRC, that Seaosnic Prime PSU can have issues with transient power spikes and overprotection's. If you get any random restarts, but typically at load, you know where to look.

It DOES have problems with transient spikes, because it has incorrectly tuned protections that trigger immediately power off under conditions that shouldn't trigger that so using them with high spiking cards means that, while they are very good quality power supplies, you need to go much bigger than you normally would allowing for a couple hundred watts additional overhead so that the spikes don't trigger the OCP or OPP.