News Nvidia Says Native Resolution Gaming is Out, DLSS is Here to Stay

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's half the problem.... "1080p - 2016 called and wants its resolution back" I can understand enthusiast enthusiasm but but I think the majority of people will stick to smaller monitors that render at 1080p..... because most people don't actually need a monitor larger than 24".

VR could have driven 4k enthusiasm but almost no one does VR.

This is where OEM's make the mistake of marketing towards the enthusiast.... numerically most consumers are not enthusiasts and with the way economies are going bust globally even the number of enthusiasts will shrink leaving only the regular consumer and the AI economy.... and the regular consumer is going to get the bad end of the stick. Expensive hardware leads to lower sales which leads to companies falsely thinking demand is low which leads to them even further skewing their pricing etc.... you have to wonder how much of this is on purpose and how much is just mad rushing or incompetence.

Either someone does something to course correct or markets are going to undergo crashes similar to the current micro transactions online only single player nonsense. If nothing else I can see AAA studios liquidating which in itself won't be all that bad a thing TBH. The commercial drivers of gaming have forgotten where they came from.

New stuff sells better and is more profitable then old stuff, nobody gets promoted off selling old stuff. The world, largely speaking, works on a consumer driven economic model, companies therefor need to encourage consumers (that's you) to buy new things. The companies that can encourage consumers to buy the most new things end up at the top. Taken to the extreme we get nVidia's 40 series attempt to punish anyone not buying a 4090. All these component manufacturers want to make new stuff and then convince people to buy that new stuff. LED display technology has enabled a large jump in pixels per dollar and display resolution, GPU manufacturers simply can not keep up with that and don't really want to since AI is vastly more profitable. Thus enter "mandatory" upscaling like DLSS. Consoles did it first with all the 720p stuff being upscaled to 1080p, then later 1080p being scaled to 2160p.

rambo919

Great
Sep 21, 2023
Need is relative. Some people are happy with 1080p on a 24", others think it is still too low on a 8" screen. Depends a lot on your use case and eyesight.
Only an issue on tablets.

People with less than perfect eyesight would likely prefer a 27" screen given otherwise identical specs and nearly identical prices to see things ~10% better.
Still in day to day life large monitors have been the exception for me..... but then again the cheapest available option has been the general rule. Most people just don't suffer from Compulsive Upgrade Disorder.

rambo919

Great
Sep 21, 2023
New stuff sells better and is more profitable then old stuff, nobody gets promoted off selling old stuff. The world, largely speaking, works on a consumer driven economic model, companies therefor need to encourage consumers (that's you) to buy new things. The companies that can encourage consumers to buy the most new things end up at the top. Taken to the extreme we get nVidia's 40 series attempt to punish anyone not buying a 4090. All these component manufacturers want to make new stuff and then convince people to buy that new stuff. LED display technology has enabled a large jump in pixels per dollar and display resolution, GPU manufacturers simply can not keep up with that and don't really want to since AI is vastly more profitable. Thus enter "mandatory" upscaling like DLSS. Consoles did it first with all the 720p stuff being upscaled to 1080p, then later 1080p being scaled to 2160p.
It's like a tax system relying on 20% of the working class for most of it's income.... it CAN work for a time but then it inevitably crashes as the resources simply dry up.

The good times for price gouging are basically done since 2020 and I don't see them coming back.... and I think nVidia knows this and does not really care because they have their AI cash cow.

On the other hand I doubt they cannot keep up per se, it's that they have set an unrealistic pace and expected planned obsolescence to make up for it.... which has only resulted in mountains of ewaste and increasingly diminishing sales if it were not for first crypto and now AI. They definitely CAN make superior hardware for less but it's more profitable for them to add unnecessary extras or to overpromise things they know they cannot really provide to surf fashion waves. It really has become organized insanity IMO. Promising the impossible and not achieving it is not failing.... it's pretending to fail.

Proof enough for me at least was the semi-useless in comparison over priced 4060ti 16GB.... which is either out of intention or incompetence crippled by for some reason being a 128bit model..... in effect it's merely a greedy insult, there is no logical reason to not increase both cache and bandwidth at the same time unless someone is hiding something. This in many ways is a product of simply having too many SKU's and then hiking the price in an effort as you say to punish everyone for not buying the top of the line more than three times the price it should be model..... in 2023 we sit in a situation where people need to take out financing just to buy a friggin graphics card it's ridiculous. It used to be the GPU was a third of the cost of the rest of the entire PC and now it's either the same price or more.

But the same has happened for phones.... hyper consumerism is killing itself and it seems no one really cares except for the useful idiots paying for it.

In all likelyhood this is merely planned obsolescence leading to a situation where there are too many overpriced goods no one wants that somehow needs to be moved... and no one wants to admit they made a mistake so they wont be cutting prices. Hence the baffling shortages.... which (ego's and shareholder profits being on the line) means it's probably only going to get worse from here not better while everyone digs through the ship hull in a desperate effort to make it sail faster.

Reactions: Order 66

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Need is relative. Some people are happy with 1080p on a 24", others think it is still too low on a 8" screen. Depends a lot on your use case and eyesight. People with less than perfect eyesight would likely prefer a 27" screen given otherwise identical specs and nearly identical prices to see things ~10% better.
I play at 1080p on 27" monitor. Although most of the time, I use windowed mode when gaming, because it's easier to keep track of what's happening on a smaller window. Only using full screen when recording coop sessions with friends. Have a friend in Europe who sometimes use his phone to play certain online games, and my friend in Asia often use her tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.