Nvidia Shield: Hands-On With A Tegra 4-Based Handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
This is end of Windows because NVIDIA and soon Steam will clearly show to the world that you don't need Windows to do gaming, but actually Linux is really good platform for it.

wolley74

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
the question is, why would i want to stream a game from my PC, where i can use a mouse / keyboard / multiple monitors if i wish, compared to playing it on a tiny screen with limited buttons? why?

obsama1

Distinguished
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]This is end of Windows because NVIDIA and soon Steam will clearly show to the world that you don't need Windows to do gaming, but actually Linux is really good platform for it.[/citation]

Linux is great, but you have to remember two things:

1. Devs will have to port their games to Linux, which will take a long time.
2. I don't see how you're going to convince gamers to install Linux in place of Windows on their computers, and then download their entire game library again, due Linux/Windows incompatibilities.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]This is end of Windows because NVIDIA and soon Steam will clearly show to the world that you don't need Windows to do gaming, but actually Linux is really good platform for it.[/citation]

3 words: Poor....driver....support...

Where's Linus giving Nvidia the finger when you need him? Afaik, you still need a windows based PC to enable streaming of steam titles.

That being said, I look forward to the day when MSFT looses it's death grip on those O/S license fees.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
It's an interesting concept, and it's impressive that Nvidia seems to have pulled off PC title streaming so effectively, but I feel like without the ability to stream remotely Shield will be little more than a niche product. I guess that's okay since Nvidia has openly stated that Shield's target audience is relatively small, but I can't help but feel that the experience could be so much more compelling with the ability to play your PC games from anywhere with a suitably fast internet connection, even if it's potentially at the expense of some image quality and latency. That would certainly get my attention.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
well Chris Angelini , ofc it is not for you .. you are not a teen anymore ...

this device will beat every handheld in the market. or force Sony and Nintendo to make a new console earlier.

Plus ... too bad Microsoft .. you delayed Xbox Portable too much untill nvida MADE the Xbox Portable.

I guess Microsoft will try to buy out this department from Nvidia ...

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]obsama1[/nom]Linux is great, but you have to remember two things:1. Devs will have to port their games to Linux, which will take a long time.2. I don't see how you're going to convince gamers to install Linux in place of Windows on their computers, and then download their entire game library again, due Linux/Windows incompatibilities.[/citation]

1. this will happen , it is happening for PS3 and Nintendo .. and can easy happen for linux.. actually , I allways asked my self , given the billions smartphones in the hands of people , what was keeping them from porting all games to android ? the answer was : the lack of real Gaming controler. this BEAST will change the game hopefully.

2.no one installs Linux "in-place" of windows ... they do Multi boot ... I ve been using windows+Linux on my PC for like 10 years ...

3. the only thing I fear is Monopolies ... they are the true reasons that made people not invest in Linux .. I am 100% sure the day Microsoft releases Office for linux , the next day all people will install linux on their system.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
depending on the bandwidth needs, it should be possible to run the game streaming remotely (though you will end up with latency issues like with onlive)

Remember, android can connect to VPN's (eg kinda like how if your cable tv provider allows you to stream their tv channels on your computer if you are on your home IP address, and setting up a VPN will allow you to use your smartphone or laptop while on th go and still watch all of your cable tv channels, you can do it with your games also

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
What won’t happen, it sounds like, is a wireless link between the PC and Shield, and a wireless link between the Shield and TV, which would introduce too much latency.
I was wondering the same thing. streaming key presses to the PC and the video stream to the TV would still keep it at two channels, so i think it should be fine.
PC Shield->TV would be dumb on Nvidia's part...

Though i mostly agree with what Chris says (that it's not meant for him, or me for that matter) i think it will make sense in winters when you don't want to come out of your warm cozy bed (my hands froze in the last 20 days) :D

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I'm in the market for a portable handheld. I really like the idea of a nvidia powered handheld playing games with cutting edge graphics. but this will only natively play Android games?! Optimized or not, Android games designed for compatibility across such a wide variety of tablets and phones will not show the strengths of this device. Nvidia should have an additional gaming OS with a developers kit for building Shield exclusives and ports of AAA games from the consoles etc. Afterall, this should be close to as powerful as the current consoles, if the xbox 360 can play COD BO2 at 60fps, this should manage something playable.
On top of that this is not portable enough to be ideal on the go.

As for streaming PC games to it, that doesn't interest me at all. If I'm in wifi range of my PC, I'm going to play PC games on my PC.
If I want PC games on my TV, I'll hook up my PC to my TV and play them in 1080p.

I really wanted this to be the device for me, but it's not. As with the failure of the Vita, it lacks developer support. It's not worth buying for Android games.

[citation][nom]sna[/nom]1. this will happen , it is happening for PS3 and Nintendo .. and can easy happen for linux.. actually , I allways asked my self , given the billions smartphones in the hands of people , what was keeping them from porting all games to android ? the answer was : the lack of real Gaming controler. this BEAST will change the game hopefully. 2.no one installs Linux "in-place" of windows ... they do Multi boot ... I ve been using windows+Linux on my PC for like 10 years ... [/citation]

1. While sony (when did PS3 = the company name? last I checked, sony was the company. :lol:) does have PS vita on android, AFAIK Nintendo pretty much said in big bold NO to putting there stuff on someone else hardware/software like android (so no Mario on your Smart phone).

Although no matter what, as of right now, because of drivers and lack of user base, games will take a while to be supported on linux. (heck just to run simple minecraft, I have to change some file with the game itself to run on ubuntu properly).

2. No one? Guess the time's have changed on you......

I know plenty of people with linux ONLY on their desktop systems. Largest concentration of them in the Distributed Computing area (F@H, boinc, ect) but there are some that run linux just because they dont need windows for gaming.

[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]If I'm in wifi range of my PC, I'm going to play PC games on my PC.[/citation]

Well.... I see where you are going, and it is valid point when you dont have to compete to use a computer.

Although there is one thing good about this. Say you have kids and there on the computer OR your on the computer and the game the kid wants to play is on the computer your on, this thing and allow 1 computer do 2 things at once.

(or maybe you dont trust your kid near your expensive desktop. :lol:)

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]Naughty Naughty Chris! Hogging the better handheld for yourself, and giving the inferior one to Don[/citation]
Totally Agree , Its a fact that this will be a failure , At first everyone will buy it like the 3ds and vita but then it will fail , Its amazing how Nvidia cant see that , No one wants to cary around a control when they have their phones

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Linux isn't a platform though, it's a kernel. GNU/Linux might barely be considered a platform, but that would exclude Android. I do hope the desktop market would see a similar or better competetive situation as the mobile market.

allawash

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
So this is a small, in home, remote desktop link to your normal computer? So the computer you're running the PC app on is pretty much useless to anybody else, because you're using all the computing resources for the game you are streaming. This might be more interesting if you had an in-home server that could handle, say, 2 or 3 concurrent users.

I'd like to know what Nvidia's overall strategy is on this. Is this just the precursor to the real deal? And they are just trying to make some money back and see if there truly is an interest in furthering this technology? As in-home bandwidth increases, this would become more useful.

Theres one type of company I could see really latching on to this technology, and that's large software publishers, like EA and Activision. The program would never leave their domain, tightening their grip on everything you buy from them. The only problem would be having the hardware to run that many games simultaneously. All speculation though.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
This is a neat idea, but it really doesn't solve anything. You still need to be at home with a gaming PC to play PC games. If you could play your PC games away from home, then it would have some usage, but you'd still probably be better off buying a laptop with a decent GPU.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
"It’s a shame that the UDK-based title's free-to-play model is already being derided for goading you into buying upgrades with real-world currency just to stay competitive."

People whine about this with every single F2P game with cash content. It's how it works people. You play free because someone else is paying. Be thankful they're paying so you don't have to. Do you get upset with your friends when they pay the tab and they bought lobster and all you got was pasta? Eat your pasta or pay your own tab. As far as it being "pay to win", well the only long term sales are from things that give an advantage. Vanities only sell so well for so long. There has to be some incentive to buy something from the cash shop rather than getting it in-game.

Oh, right, this is about Shield. Thing looks about as comfort contoured as an NES controller. Give it to a child and see how long it'll take them to snap that screen right off too since it doesn't look too anchored. Next time report how well it runs emulators, since that's what most people would use it for.

[citation][nom]master9716[/nom]Totally Agree , Its a fact that this will be a failure , At first everyone will buy it like the 3ds and vita but then it will fail , Its amazing how Nvidia cant see that , No one wants to cary around a control when they have their phones[/citation]

3DS is selling stronger than ever, actually. Now it's getting together a pretty impressive collection of console style titles. By the time any of these handheld upstarts are out, Nintendo should have the new 3DS Pokemon doing the rounds. Probably a good thing Shield and Edge don't want to compete.

[citation][nom]allawash[/nom]So this is a small, in home, remote desktop link to your normal computer? So the computer you're running the PC app on is pretty much useless to anybody else, because you're using all the computing resources for the game you are streaming. This might be more interesting if you had an in-home server that could handle, say, 2 or 3 concurrent users.[/citation]

I actually doubt it takes that much resources. You are after all running a stream of a 5 inch display. It takes considerably less to render a screen that size than your 20"+ PC monitor. Wii U runs a stream to a similar display and that thing is using $200 worth of processing. And if it runs a typical Android, why not throw a remote for media center on there? While we're at it, stream Hulu and Netflix there as well. Wii U can do that too, right? Cut out the Droid middleman and just put it on Shield's software to begin with, native media center control and video streaming integration

3DS killer no. Wii U killer? We'll see.

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
As a member of the Lazy-Boy crowd, this device might be useful...if!

I'm an old timer and got into PC gaming a few years back. My PC is in my bedroom and I have a nice 27" screen, and with a tuner card I can watch TV or movies from bed. Back when I started gaming I thought it would be cool to get a joystick controller so that I could play a Tiger Woods golf game from bed...so I bought a nice fan-air-cooled Logitech controller. While the game is ok it was not that fun to play because after each hole I had to get out of bed and use the keyboard to continue the game...not what I hoped for. Now, it's probably my fault for being new to gaming and not knowing how to set the controller up, but that was my first and last attempt at trying to use a hand-held joystick controller.

I have nothing against hand-held joystick controllers, but I just don't have any experience with them and have gotten quite good with the keyboard and mouse.

So, I'm sort of in the same boat as Chris as concerning joysticks. Maybe Nvidia could figure out a way to enable wireless keyboards and mice into the equation. I'm sure I could figure out a nice work platform for my lazy-boy that would accomadate a small keyboard and mouse, so that I could stream Steam games from my PC to my very nice 40" Sony (sitting 7 feet in front of my lazy-boy in another room)...and use a keyboard and mouse.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]I actually doubt it takes that much resources. You are after all running a stream of a 5 inch display. It takes considerably less to render a screen that size than your 20"+ PC monitor.[/citation]
... You're kiddin', right? The size of the display has zero impact on the resources needed to render the game. The resolution, sure, but even rendering a game at 720p (I think the resolution of the Shield's screen is somewhere around there) -- plus streaming the video and handling the network traffic -- is going to consume enough of most rigs' resources that you're not likely to be doing much else on it.

Anyway, this doesn't look portable enough to slip into a pocket comfortably, and streaming PC games is only really a neat idea if you can go outside the house with it. Might be cool for running emulators on, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.