Nvidia Shows iPad-beating Foxconn Tegra 2 Tablet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I like android better than the ipad. One reason. Flash support. You will have flash apps. Plus android phones already have better support for search, translation, video, and most of them are free. Great to be open.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]There are reports* of Apple already selling 200000 iPads a week and they haven't yet tapped the international markets. So whilst still niche, this may be quite momentous for tablet devices.*Analyst Mike Abramsky / RBC Capital Markets[/citation]

These numbers should always be taken with a grain of salt. How many of those "sold" iPad were bought by Walmart or Best Buy for stock with an option to return them to Apple if they go unsold to consumers? This happens in retail / distribution channels all the time.

I just find it funny and ironic nVidia is using Apple's own OEM source (Foxconn) to build a competitor product. That would be like PS3 and XBOXs coming out of the same factory lol.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Exodite4[/nom]...will the iPad be such a hot commodity a year or two from now?I'm doubtful, not so much because it's an Apple device but rather a pointless one. Tablets are a mix-'n-match of portable media players, smartphones and notebook computers that lack the convenience and functionality of all of the former while bringing no new killer apps of their own.For tablets to take of they really need to have a niche of their own that only their particular format and platform do well.[/citation] People are already finding they can do quite exceptional things with an iPad and it's early days... see here:
http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=57648&PageMem=1

G

"WR
1) bezel is far too thick
2) screen is the cheap kind that netbooks use

Who cares if an ugly contraption is using a 30% faster A9 and plays 1080p HD? The A8 seems plenty fast in the iPad implementation. Would rather settle for 720p (on a 9 inch screen) and avoid the risk of a movie looking over/under exposed when placed on my lap. It's a big usability thing for a tablet compared to a notebook with a hinge"

couldn't help but laugh my head off, buy Apple products much ?

G

"usersname
People are already finding they can do quite exceptional things with an iPad and it's early days... see here:
http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client [...] &PageMem=1"

WTF!!!@#* those are exceptional thing........ print from an iPad...... browse content offline..... connect more than a camera (using a device that you will have to pay more for)..... oh dear lord i think i died and went to hell

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Smaller screen. no mention of resolution. I don't see any ports, so it doesn't beat any of the iPad haters issues. No mention of battery life. Certainly lacks in the software marketspace. Probably not compatible with iTunes (I'm not gonna switch and break syncing ease between my multiple PCs and Multiple Apple portables). Other specs? WiFi-N? doubt it, certainly not 5GHz, but Bluetooth probably yes. Storage type and speed? unlimited 3G contract free for $30? Video out to TV at least 720p? Charges from USB? PRICE?

I don't know if that's a webcam or not in the shot, but it's in a horrible place and as Apple found out no one liked a webcam on the device, it was near impossible to hold and point at your face... If they did put in a webcam, they needlessly added $40-50 to the price doing so, it will go unused by 95% of people, and a more flexible and useful bluetooth camera could have done the job for the same dough...

If it really DOES compete with the iPad, Apple can simply lower the price (they already OPENLY admitted the price point was flexible). Personally, I can't wait for a REAL competitor to actually hit the streets, so apple does lower the price, and I might buy one. i wish the other tablets well in the hopes they can honestly compete, and worry apple enough to push ahead a Gen 2 device, or lower the price on this one, or both...

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
[citation][nom]vic20[/nom]These numbers should always be taken with a grain of salt. How many of those "sold" iPad were bought by Walmart or Best Buy for stock with an option to return them to Apple if they go unsold to consumers? This happens in retail / distribution channels all the time.I just find it funny and ironic nVidia is using Apple's own OEM source (Foxconn) to build a competitor product. That would be like PS3 and XBOXs coming out of the same factory lol.[/citation]

"unsold?" Have you ASKED lately from your local stores how many are back ordered? iPads are not exactly taking up lots of shelf space. most stores have more orders than they can fulfill, others are lucky to have a couple left at the end of the week to make i to the next shipment... Sure, there's some padding there, but it can't be 10 or 20K units a week, since apple doesn't count it's own in-store stock as sold, and there's but a handfull of retailers that even carry it, and most of them are cross-shipping between stores manually to fulfill backorders.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]tobyevers[/nom]regardless of Companies pushing them out, and all the interesting quirks and specs of the different unit, there still isnt a real market for tablet pc's, and probably never will be, so this new tablet is moot[/citation]
There is a market the question is is it big enough. I would love something like that to remotely control my digital mixing console or a digital lighting board or remotely control my wireless microphones,digital processing etc.

ncr7002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
So where can I buy this ? I have an iPad on my desk right now, how long 'till I can have this ? weeks ? months ? years ? This tablet will compete with whatever iteration of Apple products are on sale when it does come out, if it does.

I fail to see why anyone would think this is better than the iPad, when it is a protoype showcasing a custom demo of some 3d game. Once the entire production chain is set up and running, with sales going on and apps to fill in for all the ones that I use on my iPod/iPad we can discuss how this or any other tablet performs compared to the iPad. This will of course take all the user experience into account.

Until then this is just another gadget prototype, it is not competing with anything.

G

"People are already finding they can do quite exceptional things with an iPad and it's early days..."

The first examples spoke about using expensive Apple-exclusive add-ons to enable basic functionality, jailbreaking the iPad and installing VNC.

While all of those things could certainly be useful it more or less proves my point as there's no mass-market appeal in any of them.

No doubt time will tell whether or not the world is ready for tablet computers this time around but I'm not holding my breath.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]vic20[/nom]These numbers should always be taken with a grain of salt. How many of those "sold" iPad were bought by Walmart or Best Buy for stock with an option to return them to Apple if they go unsold to consumers?[/citation] As far as I know stores are mostly out of stock and Apple are finding it hard to match production with demand. But, yes, all analysis should be taken lightly until corroborated. However, if the estimate is on target, then that is quite an explosion in tablet sales and a real kick-start to a market that didn't really exist a few weeks ago. [citation][nom]vic20[/nom]That would be like PS3 and XBOXs coming out of the same factory lol.[/citation] Hmm, the consumer electronics industry is quite incestuous. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if PS3's exited one door of Foxconn whilst XBox's egressed from another. In fact, I've just checked*:

"Among other things, Foxconn produces the Mac mini, the iPod, the iPad, and the iPhone for Apple Inc.; Intel-branded motherboards for Intel Corp.; various orders for American computer manufacturers Dell and Hewlett-Packard; motherboards for UK computer manufacturer Zoostorm; the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 for Sony; the Wii for Nintendo; the Xbox 360 for Microsoft, cell phones for Motorola, the Amazon Kindle, and Cisco equipment. *Source Wikipedia.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
it doesn't matter what other manufactuers put in there tablets, until someone puts together an app store on par with apples, then apple will continue to dominate the phone and tablet market. As bad as I hate to admit it, ease of use on small screen devices such as these matter the most, not how well a you can run a game on a tiny screen without buttons. The only reason most would consider buying a tablet over a much more powerful netbook (other than apple fanatics), would be for quick light computing on the go. Whoever has the quickest, cleaniest gui supplemented with quality apps that can fill every imaginative need will dominate the tablet market.

I'll be awaiting the thumb downs on this but here I go; I will tell of an actual experience that happened to me this weekend.I was with a friend in Sam's looking at a bulk volume of canned tuna. He asked me if I thought it was cheaper than what he had been buying for his protein diet from the local grocer. Sarcastically I told him, "Pull out that bad ass Iphone that is supposed to be able to doerything and look it up," he replied "Idon't think I have an app for that" (to read barcodes that is). Again sarcastically, I replied "download one it's supposed to be easy" to my suprise 45 secs later he had the app download and had the price checked for the single can price. I am certain that other phones can perform the same task; phones with better hardware. But I don't think many if any would have done it faster. Of course this can all be contributed to a clean, easy interface of the os and app store. It's not always about hardware, I think this is especially true in ultra mobile devices such as phones and tablet. For the same reason that PC's rule the personal computing market (large amount programs for about anything) is the same reason apple dominates the smart phones and most likely the tablet market.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]cracklint[/nom]it doesn't matter what other manufactuers put in there tablets, until someone puts together an app store on par with apples, then apple will continue to dominate the phone and tablet market. [/citation] Apple is all about symbiotic ecosystems.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]I'd agree with the comment above. Granted tablets are not new devices and have been around for years, but Apple did push the product into the limelight, until now tablets were a very niche market. Regardless of the pros/cons of the iPad, Apple's marketing team has helped the whole tablet market for all manufacturers.[/citation]
Man, I don't know why people are giving thumbs down for this. I'm not a huge apple fan, but face it, Apple is a trend setter.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
"Foxconn Tegra 2 Tablet"

Foxconn... ugh... o_O!

They really need some good news.... they are pretty beatten by the bad press in the past few months....

By the way, one more death from Foxconn in today's news....

Sad.......

jasoncwlee

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
I am not an Apple fan but iPad is indeed revolutionary, where can you find a high resolution tablet this thin for $500 ? It is unheard of till the iPad. Previous tablet all cost more than $1000 and some more than $2000.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
[citation][nom]gayan[/nom]the title is really confusing. I thought that the iPad managed to beat the Tegra 2 device (which is totally opposite what happened)[/citation]

It's all about that hyphen!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
1GHz dual core, 1GB RAM. I like it already.
How about a high resolution OLED screen to top it off?

I'd still rather buy a full sized tablet, or one of those netbooks which you can turn the screen around and use it as a tablet.

spunkymunky

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
If they make this tablet not "app" restricted like the Apple Despotism, possibly allow independent developers to make their own stuff. They would have real competition. Though its hard to win over the fanboys.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Looks awesome, but I have a feeling that after a rousing game of football, weaving the receiver through the defense into the end zone, I would have an uncontrollable urge to spike the tablet on the ground in triumph (and subsequent uber-fail). Not sure I want anything to do with that game on a tablet, sorry.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
wtf!!! You guys let me down. What happened to the comment that is suppose to given for any new hardware on here?

"but can it play Crysis?"

shesh, must I do everything myself?

gfair

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
If you want to kill the iPad, you have to have more apps than the iPad.

Have people forgotten the first rule of platform warefare?

beergoggles

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
@Exodite4 ":Apple can pretty much sell anything through hype and a rabid fanbase however."

Honestly, this old saw again? They have created (engineered, designed) one of the the first easy to use and fluid mobile interfaces that is not mouse- kb centric. This ease did not come accidentally, it was designed. Like the Wii, Apple has been able to reach into markets not previously even considering a smart phone or table (or console in the Wii's case). And most of those new markets just want ease of use. The grandmothers reading books and checking email on their mobile devices could care less about CPU speed and RAM so long as the device fits their needs. Which these products do. Slag off on Apple all you like, but their market penetrations are not due to their rabid base...it is due to the new customers they are acquiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.