Nvidia Signs Memory License Deal With Rambus

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]danlw[/nom]Im curious about what exactly Rambus is claiming ownership for which is common between DDR-GDDR5. I thought Rambus made RDRAM.It would also be nice to know the patent dates... then we would know how much longer we have to put up with them. (patent date plus 17 years)[/citation]

I'm wondering what "technology" Rambus owns patents to in reference to SDRAM.... RDRAM is the only memory technology they actually developed, and that was on Intel's supplied budget.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Rambus is abusing the Patent Law. Looks like they are running a derivative of a pyrimd scheme. How could one company hold such large number of patents that pretty much dominates the entire memory markets? This is just rediculous. Our Patent law needs a major over-haul.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I think it was closer to 90%. Yeah, Rambus would have to make something to need to license other peoples technology.Man I hate Rambus so much. Sure, they created a lot of the tech behind SDRAM, DDR and GDDR, but the way they got it into the marketplace pisses me off. For those who don't know, they sat on the board that designed DDR and had a lot of influence on it. Only after DDR was standardized did they mention that, "oh, by the way, we have patents on all that technology we suggested you use, so now you all owe us money if you want to produce DDR". Not only that, but by competing against DDR with their own RDRAM, they ensured the only winner in the end would be Rambus. Total scum.[/citation]

Sum, yes, but schrewd

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]danlw[/nom]Im curious about what exactly Rambus is claiming ownership for which is common between DDR-GDDR5. I thought Rambus made RDRAM.It would also be nice to know the patent dates... then we would know how much longer we have to put up with them. (patent date plus 17 years)[/citation]
Actually, I agree with you - I'd like for an objective and analytical story to be written about this detailing the story of the rise and apparent fall of RAMBUS. I hear a lot of RAMBUS hate but I got into PC building about 5 years ago, so I think I skipped the RAMBUS days...so I'm a little confused about what's up.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]Actually, I agree with you - I'd like for an objective and analytical story to be written about this detailing the story of the rise and apparent fall of RAMBUS. I hear a lot of RAMBUS hate but I got into PC building about 5 years ago, so I think I skipped the RAMBUS days...so I'm a little confused about what's up.[/citation]

They patented the use of DDR for RAM ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Data_Rate ) and as we all know nearly anything runs on DDR or derivatives. Back in its day Rambus patented the practical application of DDR for RAM though at that time the term DDR has not been coined. Though one might say that it is weird to say the least that one can patent such thing it is completely legal to do so. The problem was that by that time Rambus was part of an international group that was setting up a new unified standard and Rambus pushed their application of DDR. One could say that they used their position to make sure their patent would pay off in the future.

The problem most people have against Rambus originate from the fact that they abused their position of power which results in the lawsuits that still run today. However they forget that it is us civilians that allow our government to keep a flawed system like the patent system in place and that we give Rambus and the likes the legal right to pull stunts like this.

G

what is so hard to understand about an "industry" that purposely uses technology created by an other, small engineering firms without a license because the "industry" historically been able to get away with it. Rambus was able to survive long enough for the truth to surface following the smear campaign and finally receive a portion due them. Open standards are fine if the standards aren't stolen to begin with. Most whiny techies are simply liberals in nerds clothing....wanting to crucify an innovator for expecting compensation for their creation. Rambus claims ownership on the portions of their technology still being used in successive generations of memory and controllers. Final point..... had RDRAM (and now XDR) been used because of superior performance and allowed to develop into mainstream, all products would be functioning better and the without a higher cost...because of economies of scale. The consumers got screwed.

G

again, a lot of ignorance here...believe it or not R&D is real work...if a company puts in the $$$$ and effort to invent a better idea and patent that idea they get paid for it...they spent the time and $$$$ and they deserve it...rmbs is winning in every court they get a decision...nvidia and the memory maker cronies stealing from rmbs are largely successful in delay tactics

semicondoctor

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
You guys are not up to date. Rambus employs 200 top engineers these days and have a billion in cash - They are not going away, lol.

By the way, to call the head of Computer Engineering at Stanford University a troll is nonsense.

Take it easy

Status
Not open for further replies.