News Nvidia Slashes Prices of GeForce RTX 30 'Ampere' Graphics Cards

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wouldn’t this all but confirm a 4090 launching at greater than $1499? They have already moved the current halo down to 1499. So unless they are going to launch the 4090 at 1499 and move everything down a pricing tier again 1-4 months later. The only other place is up. Unless they have also decided the 30 series isn’t sticking around like previously rumored.

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Everyone is getting excited for the $2000 4080 you can't find in stores for a year.

It might not be that bad, they seemed to be overstocked on the 3000s and also tried to cut production of the 4000 series. They were full steam ahead until crypto died and after all the prices we have been screwed on people might want to hold their cards a little longer this time around. Also the 3000 series are pretty powerful already. Then there is the power demand so people may need a new PSU along with the card, an expensive one.

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Anyone that sells their current GPU this round is crazy! I'll be waiting for power consumption, performance numbers and availability of stock before taking that risk.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Was forced to wait 22 months to get retail pricing so far and we are 2 months away from the release of the next generation which in all likelihood will come in around similar prices and give upwards of 50% more performance. HARD PASS on soon to be obsolete hardware. You get the most value by buying close to the launch, not buying the day before it is obsolete.

InvalidError

Titan
HARD PASS on soon to be obsolete hardware. You get the most value by buying close to the launch, not buying the day before it is obsolete.
Depends on how desperate the supply chain gets with getting rid of old stock. From what I have heard, this first round of official price cuts is just AMD and Nvidia getting ahead of the used GPU flood. Once all of the retired APAC mining cards hit global markets by the millions, the bottom will fall off of used GPU prices and retail will get squeezed. Better try to clear excess inventory of higher-end parts now at still ~100% gross margins instead of 200-400% than wait and struggle to clear inventory while eating losses like last time.

The next round of price cuts once the used floodgates are fully opened is where the real fun begins.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Depends on how desperate the supply chain gets with getting rid of old stock. From what I have heard, this first round of official price cuts is just AMD and Nvidia getting ahead of the used GPU flood.

Nvidia only dropped the prices on the top 3 cards. The seven below them saw no drops. If Nvidia is panic selling as you claimed in another thread, they aren't trying very hard. How many 3090Ti's could they have lying around? It was released less than 3 months ago.

Reactions: thisisaname

InvalidError

Titan
Nvidia only dropped the prices on the top 3 cards.
Give it a little more time, the retired mining GPU flood hasn't landed yet. The first round of cuts is to screw high-end buyers where the margin massacre will hit hardest. The cuts will work themselves down the product stack. AMD and Nvidia make no profit from second-hand sales and no-sales due to being priced out of the remaining market. They need to score those sales while they still can.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I'm seeing MSRP cuts announced, but they're not really showing up at retail right now. Most GPUs still appear to be priced over Nvidia's MSRP. Some are just now hitting the AIB's elevated MSRP. Whatever these price drops are, they're anemic compared to where prices should be for 2-year old graphics chips. Paying such high prices for GPUs years into their support life and with a replacement imminent seems foolish to me.

I hope gamers have learned by now to wait out the GPU industry's crypto-hangover. Prices are still too high. There's more room to drop.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
* yawn * let me know when these supposed price cuts and price drops happen in other places that are NOT the USA. even a 3060 is still $580 or more here, $300 3060 as spentsheels mentioned ? yea right not till next year, here, maybe

hannibal

Distinguished
Was forced to wait 22 months to get retail pricing so far and we are 2 months away from the release of the next generation which in all likelihood will come in around similar prices and give upwards of 50% more performance. HARD PASS on soon to be obsolete hardware. You get the most value by buying close to the launch, not buying the day before it is obsolete.

Just wait to see next gen to cost 50% more than these...

Reactions: spentshells

InvalidError

Titan
Just wait to see next gen to cost 50% more than these...
Something tells me the crypto-mining crash bringing the pricing house of card down is going to temper the manufacturers' ambitions a bit, as does massive inflation on daily necessities taking away normal people's disposable income.

Had the crypto bubble not popped yet, I would have expected ~50% bumps too. Now though, they may have to settle for the 3000's pre-drop MSRPs or possibly less.

Reactions: King_V

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
this is not really slashing prices to me as more of bringing them down from stupidly overpriced, to simply WAY over priced.......

the MSRP on those cards was asinine even though they never sold for that price.

but there was never a shortage of fools waiting to buy them when they could get them at 3x msrp, so i don't really blame nvidia from wanting to get some of that mark-up themselves.

i guess so long as folks are willing, we'll never see msrp come back down to earth. even with the 3060's competition at $250 starting, people are still buying them at $400 so why lower the price?

Reactions: King_V

TRENDING THREADS