Nvidia Smokes 3DMark Thanks to PhysX

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
physx never did that much - all this is a bench mark thing - we all remember nvidia is bench mark cheater from years ago!

the 4850 looks really good i think amd and nvidia will be close then the 4870 and 4870x2 come out

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
[citation][nom]SykaSirKits[/nom]I personally believe that 3 way SLI is stretching it in terms of a typical PC enthusiast, even for a power user or custom PC builder. Right now the driver and software support doesn't warrant such a purchase or ridiculousness. It makes more sense, to me at least, to work on producing a better SINGLE graphics card capable of the same, if not more feats, than multiple ones stringed together in some "ganged" configuration sharing almost the same bus lines. I have to say although I am an avid NVidia fanboy, I have little experience with ATI cards (except for my desktop which is 2 years old and has an ATI radeon XPress 700 card which was "state of the art" at the time). What the future will bring, in terms of SLI, is really a question of who's willing to support such extravagant hardware configurations. [/citation]

Um, genius, in case you didn't realize.....now that Nvidia has PhysX in their cards, developers will actually give a crap about it knowing that much more people have PhysX hardware in their comupter. No one wanted to develop for it before because you had to buy a separate card which was dumb. Now it's pretty much assured market penetration, thus, developer support. Duh.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
wow big mistake, this was the quote I was responding to and thank you Tom's for not providing an edit button like every other site:

[citation][nom]dmacfour[/nom]@Techguy911Any how many of those would you actually play? Compare that to the amount of big titles that have come out since PhysX was introduced. The question is who cares if Nvidia has PhysX support when all of about 20 big name games support it. Unless you like the inflated 3Dmark score.[/citation]

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Keep in mind this is just 3DMark tests. We should consider other aspects of the graphics card. Nvidia has been using only brute force to increase their performance, while on the ATI side they have come up with improved performance with newer technology like 55nm, power-efficient, GDDR5 and more.

Hands down the HD4850 is the best card to get.

G

just to spice it up...4860s are going at 170 USD on newegg after MIR...thats crazy ...how the hell is a regular 9800gtx going to compete at 200..let alone a barely faster 9800gtx+...
and about this titile....lets just say its a good year or two away from full utilization in games played by the masses and not those provided by nvidia

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I don't understand what the hey is, its bs. The CPU stress test in 3DMark Vantage is made to stress the CPU as much as possible, and the GPU as little as possible. This is why changing your graphics card will give you barely any improved performance. All this does is have the GPU help now.... I'm sure it will help a little bit in certain games, but it's not really that impressive.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
It's easy to focus on the hardware and the new possibilities that comes with new circuits, by my god the software and firmware coming out from nvidia is plain awful these days, negating any enthusiasm for the new product, since my memory tells me I can't enjoy it for the next 6-9 months, until the drivers behave.

"Oh", you tiredly reply, "but the drivers always get better. It's always been this way, what's the big deal?"

That's false, the drivers do not get better. The number and percentage of bugs stays the same, they are merely shifted around to new applications. Sometimes new bugs appear in old applications that worked just fine with older drivers...just look at the release notes for the Forcewares (going all the way back to when they were Detonators).

Every new release introduces new bugs, when rigorous testing and remedial work would surely pare the numbers down. In 2008, with 10 years of experience in writing driver suites you would hope that someone somewhere at nvidia would say "Let's change our methodology to make sure our software uses our hardware flawlessly right out of the gate."

No excuses, no rebuttals, no but-this-but-that. Do it. Do it right from day One.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
SLI is a waste of money, the more cards you add the more the performance overhead increases and the less oferall gain you will have

compare going from 2x SLI to 4x SLI

compare

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-vga-charts/overall-all-games-fps,572.html?p=1597%2C1593

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-vga-charts/overall-all-games-fps,572.html?p=1583%2C1582

the more cards you add, the less price/performance ratio you get

SLI is just inefficient and should be junked and replaced with something that actually works

or just get nvidia to stop being lazy and make a better gpu instead of tricking people into stacking video cards

lopopo

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]some of the game that physx supports: Game Title Developer Platform2 Days to Vegas Steel Monkeys PCAdrenalin 2: Rush Hour Gaijin Entertainment PCAge of Empires http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Empires III Distineer Studios PC, MacAge of Empires III: The WarChiefs Distineer Studios MacAlpha Prime Black Element Software PCAuto Assault Net Devil PCBackbreaker Natural Motion TBAB.A.S.E. Jumping Digital Dimension Development PCBet on Soldier: Blackout Saigon Kylotonn Entertainment PCBet on Soldier: Blood of Sahara Kylotonn Entertainment PCBet on Soldier: Blood Sport Kylotonn Entertainment PCBeowulf Ubisoft PS3, X360Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War Koei PS3, X360Captain Blood Akella PC, X360Cellfactor: Combat Training Artifical Studios, Immersion Games PCCellfactor: Revolution Artifical Studios, Immersion Games PCCity of Villains Cryptic Studios PCCrazy Machines II FAKT Software PCCryostasis Action Forms PCDark Physics The Game Creators PCDesert Diner Tarsier Studios PCDragonshard Atari PCDusk 12 Orion PCEmpire Above All IceHill PCEmpire Earth III Mad Dog Software PCEntropia Universe MindArk PCFallen Earth Icarus Studios PCFury Auran Games PCGears Of War Epic Games PC, X360Gluk'Oza: Action GFI Russia PCGooBall Ambrosia software MacGothic 3 Piranha Bytes PCGunship Apocalypse FAKT Software PCHeavy Rain Quantic Dream PCHero's Jorney Simutronics PCHour of Victory nFusion Interactive X360Hunt, The Orion PCHuxley Webzen, Inc PC, X360Infernal Metropolis Software PCInhabited island: Prisoner of Power Orion PCJoint Task Force Most Wanted Entertainment PCKuma\WAR Kuma Reality Games PCMagic ball 3 Alawar Entertaiment PCMass Effect BioWare PC, X360Medal of Honor: Airborne EA Los Angeles PC, X360Metro 2033 4A Games PCMobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire BEC PS3Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia Artificial Studios PC, X360Monster Truck Maniax Legendo Entertainment PCMyst Online: URU Live Cyan Worlds PCOpen Fire BlueTorch Studios PCParagraph 78 Gaijin Entertainment PCPirates of the Burning Sea Flying Lab Software PCPT Boats: Knights of the Sea Akella PCRail Simulator Kuju Entertainment Ltd PCRed Steel Ubisoft Paris WiiRise Of Nations: Rise Of Legends Big Huge Games PCRoboblitz Naked Sky Entertainment PC, X360Sacred 2 ASCARON Entertainment PCSherlock Holmes: The Awakened Frogwares Game Development Studio PCShowdown: Scorpion B-COOL Interactive PCSilverfall Monte Cristo PCSovereign Symphony Ceidot Game Studios PCSonic and the Secret Rings SEGA WiiSpeedball 2 Kylotonn Entertainment PCStalin Subway, The Orion PCStoked Rider: Alaska Alien Bongfish Interactive Entertainment PCSwitchball Atomic Elbow PCTension Ice-pick Lodge PCTom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter GRIN PC, X360Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 GRIN, Ubisoft Paris PC, X360Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas Ubisoft Montreal PC, PS3, X360Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (multiplayer) Ubisoft Shanghai PC, X360Tortuga: Two Treasures Ascaron Entertainment PCTwo Worlds Reality Pump PCUltra Tubes Eipix PCUnreal Tournament 3 Epic Games PC, PS3, X360Unreal Tournament 3: Extreme Physics Mod Epic Games PCWarfare GFI Russia PCWarmonger: Operation Downtown Destruction Net Devil PCW.E.L.L. Online Sibilant Interactive PCWinterheart's Guild Zelian Games PC, X360WorldShift Black Sea Studios PC[/citation]

Im glad you posted this and we should all take note. That being said what I was referring to ( near the top comments)was quality as well as support.
You see UT3 and company might use physics, but we all know there's physics and there's physics. Meaning me falling off a hoverboard and rolling 20 feet is OK ( even though it looks like fake rag doll in UT3) and then ther is real physics as in you shoot a rock and it splatters in a million fragments. Those are physics. Physics across the board.
If you have seen episode 1 pod race that is what I want. Now granted
that is pushing it. But consider what you are paying for a GTX 280 and consider that that card alone has 1.4 billion transistors. Put a theoretical GTX 280 X2 in SLI ( 4 cards) and you have the power to make something like that happen. Of course it will never happen because there is no unity, no plan in this industry and those of you out there who read up on things know what I mean. I do not have the 4000$ to spend on my theoretical system but what pisses me off is if I did I still would not get what I pay for.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well the physics is coming sooner or later in any way. This is the first implemantion of it in GPU. I am sure that ATI will respond and introduce it's Havok based variant during this year.
So in future there definitely will be more physics in the games.
So the 3dmark wantage will be reasonable instrument of predicting what will happen. The problem is as someone mentioned the rival between two different physics engines. As long as there are two of them there will be games that support only one of them and slow down the use of physics in the games. The HD-DVD vs Blu ray dilemma again... untill one of them duy, or untill MS announce the "official" physics api...

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Hmm.... Wait... PhysX should improve gaming performance..... But Tomshardware also said it's limited to one hardware. And could cause bottlenecks? Then it's nearly pointless, as it's NOT a dedicated physics card. It's basically no different on using a CPU for physics, and since it's also being bottlenecked in SLI configurations..... Useless.

Gemmy

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]some of the game that physx supports:Game Title Developer Platform2 Days to Vegas Steel Monkeys PCAdrenalin 2: Rush Hour Gaijin Entertainment PCAge of Empireshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Empires III Distineer Studios PC, MacAge of Empires III: The WarChiefs Distineer Studios MacAlpha Prime Black Element Software PCAuto Assault Net Devil PCBackbreaker Natural Motion TBAB.A.S.E. Jumping Digital Dimension Development PCBet on Soldier: Blackout Saigon Kylotonn Entertainment PCBet on Soldier: Blood of Sahara Kylotonn Entertainment PCBet on Soldier: Blood Sport Kylotonn Entertainment PCBeowulf Ubisoft PS3, X360Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War Koei PS3, X360Captain Blood Akella PC, X360Cellfactor: Combat Training Artifical Studios, Immersion Games PCCellfactor: Revolution Artifical Studios, Immersion Games PCCity of Villains Cryptic Studios PCCrazy Machines II FAKT Software PCCryostasis Action Forms PCDark Physics The Game Creators PCDesert Diner Tarsier Studios PCDragonshard Atari PCDusk 12 Orion PCEmpire Above All IceHill PCEmpire Earth III Mad Dog Software PCEntropia Universe MindArk PCFallen Earth Icarus Studios PCFury Auran Games PCGears Of War Epic Games PC, X360Gluk'Oza: Action GFI Russia PCGooBall Ambrosia software MacGothic 3 Piranha Bytes PCGunship Apocalypse FAKT Software PCHeavy Rain Quantic Dream PCHero's Jorney Simutronics PCHour of Victory nFusion Interactive X360Hunt, The Orion PCHuxley Webzen, Inc PC, X360Infernal Metropolis Software PCInhabited island: Prisoner of Power Orion PCJoint Task Force Most Wanted Entertainment PCKuma\WAR Kuma Reality Games PCMagic ball 3 Alawar Entertaiment PCMass Effect BioWare PC, X360Medal of Honor: Airborne EA Los Angeles PC, X360Metro 2033 4A Games PCMobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire BEC PS3Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia Artificial Studios PC, X360Monster Truck Maniax Legendo Entertainment PCMyst Online: URU Live Cyan Worlds PCOpen Fire BlueTorch Studios PCParagraph 78 Gaijin Entertainment PCPirates of the Burning Sea Flying Lab Software PCPT Boats: Knights of the Sea Akella PCRail Simulator Kuju Entertainment Ltd PCRed Steel Ubisoft Paris WiiRise Of Nations: Rise Of Legends Big Huge Games PCRoboblitz Naked Sky Entertainment PC, X360Sacred 2 ASCARON Entertainment PCSherlock Holmes: The Awakened Frogwares Game Development Studio PCShowdown: Scorpion B-COOL Interactive PCSilverfall Monte Cristo PCSovereign Symphony Ceidot Game Studios PCSonic and the Secret Rings SEGA WiiSpeedball 2 Kylotonn Entertainment PCStalin Subway, The Orion PCStoked Rider: Alaska Alien Bongfish Interactive Entertainment PCSwitchball Atomic Elbow PCTension Ice-pick Lodge PCTom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter GRIN PC, X360Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 GRIN, Ubisoft Paris PC, X360Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas Ubisoft Montreal PC, PS3, X360Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (multiplayer) Ubisoft Shanghai PC, X360Tortuga: Two Treasures Ascaron Entertainment PCTwo Worlds Reality Pump PCUltra Tubes Eipix PCUnreal Tournament 3 Epic Games PC, PS3, X360Unreal Tournament 3: Extreme Physics Mod Epic Games PCWarfare GFI Russia PCWarmonger: Operation Downtown Destruction Net Devil PCW.E.L.L. Online Sibilant Interactive PCWinterheart's Guild Zelian Games PC, X360WorldShift Black Sea Studios PC[/citation]

Okay, not that many cool titles then. As i thought.

Gemmy

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Truely, Nvidia this and Nvidia that. Not one headline about AMD/ATI's new brilliant cards at Tomshardware.com. And another thing the GTX9800+ is still not out there, but the HD 4850 is!
In my opinion, you are all Nvidia stock owners at Tomshardware!

G

When you actually get to a review of the GTX+ - could you update us on how well hybridpower works? Last time I read something about this - there was a short blurb that it wasn't working? Nvidia's siteleads me to believe that all the recent boards support this feature which I would presume includes the GTX+.

I'm looking to upgrade my system soon. I'm leaning a 780G with 4850, however, the 8300 with a GTX or GTX+ might be worthwhile as well. Hybridpower might just nudge me in the other direction. Thanks.

G

This is able to work on a G92 card caus of a modded driver. And guess what, crysis +6-8fps. That isn't bad, is it? (went from 20 average to 27 average). So this is a nice driver ;)

dasmygatfu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Great news that NVidia is upgrading our cards once again with better software. I am having a hard time believing that some of the people posting in this forum are actual ATI enthusiasts; I've used many ATI and NVidia cards over the past decade and have had a much much better NVidia experience. ATI really needs to work on their software to reduce it's complexity as it causes many problems with PCs in general. Sooooo if ATI would concentrate on their Catalyst BS instead of tweaking bus speeds all the time, I might buy into them.

I've got to appreciate anything coming out that reduces pricing and promotes innovation. Go capitalism!

otheos

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Who'w paying the bills now Tom?

Anyhow, apart from what nVidia does is cheating 3DMark, since it's using it's GPU where all others use the CPU, it's something that won't make a difference in real world.

Sorry Tom, other that dough, it's only bad reputation you get from such things. Maybe dough is enough though huh?

neblogai

Distinguished
Something new- Tomshardware is now less objective than The Inquirer. Cheating in 3DMark is not noticed, all GPU news- on nVidia, and only thing on AMD/ATI- is that new Radeons have 480SP

creepster

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
I think people need to realize that PhysX support is coming to all 8/9 series as well as everything in the future. the 8800gt was the best selling graphics card ever. all of a sudden PhysX went from a hundred thousand installed user base to 8 million

I think developers are going to start paying attention, hopefully ATI's havok hardware accelerated offering will be close enough that developers can implement both into games so we see hardware physX because the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS